It's possible to convert files from .ds to .duf?

lennox.onelennox.one Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have some items that I bought in the old format (new user, good looking products, too fast on the clic:down:).
I want to know if it's possible to convert them to the duf format.
I had seen that is possible to convert from duf to other formats by the converter in Daz.
But I didn't seen nothing to convert TO duf.
Exists it a possibility?

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

when you save whatever aspect of the scene (e.g., material as a material preset, pose as a pose preset) it will automatically be saved in .duf unless you deliberately override it with one of the deprecated formats.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have some items that I bought in the old format (new user, good looking products, too fast on the clic:down:).

If you mean to use older items in DS4.5, it is not necessary to convert them, DS4.5 can open the Legacy files, just not the other way about. In other words, DS4.5 can open older DS formats, but DS4 cannot open DUF files.

• lennox.onelennox.one Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I bought items in the older format. but when I find them in my content library. I can't open them in the soft. (ds files)
    I had lot of crashes these days. I lost my own items (scenes subsets, wearables, etc, that I made in Daz)
    If I want to use them, I must open them by the main menu and browse my library.

I am not expert, perhaps all these stuffs are now not in the good place in my library.
    I had to reinstall all my items from Daz store.
    It's lot of tutorials about how to install stuffs.
    If someone can give me a tutorial about how to manage the library directly on the library folder and not in Daz. I will appreciate it.
    Lots of my stuffs are in sub sub folders. It's not easy to understand why a character is in a pose folder. (it happens when I saved it in Daz)
    even those that I bought in DAz store are sometime in folders splited in strange places. ( textures in character, pose in scene, etc)

I use a mac and I think it's possible that it is due to the automatic unzip of mac: the different files are divided in folders without following the good path.
    I say that, but it's only an idea.
    I reinstalled my library third times, from the daz DSON installers, but each time I made it... I "lost" some of my other items.
    and, every time that I try to install an item not sold with the DSON installer. I can't use it.
    That I need is a scheme with the different folders, with the good places for all.
    If the .ds files can be used in Daz4.5, I think that all is a question of wrong place in the library.
    But it's not easy for me to manage this library without a good scheme.
    thx for help^^

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What error messages are you getting? .ds files are normally presets which require an item selected in the scene to apply them to.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Older files Are not SMART Content, They will only be in Content Library.
    Edit: If all your Content is Installed to the Default Content folder the Structure is auto created by the installers. Never change them.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

"I reinstalled my library third times, from the daz DSON installers, but each time I made it… I “lost” some of my OTHER items."

As I said: I told about the content library, not the smart content.
    and I told about my own saved files and items sold without the DSON.
    Some stuffs with the DSON had troubles too. it's right.
    I don't know why. I had think it's due to the mac.

As I said: I need a scheme with the good places of all the files and folders.
    I lost lots of my own saved files, they are in the library folder in my computer, but I can't see them in the CONTENT library. (even when I try a research)
    I think it's due to the fact that I reinstalled my library and the paths were lost or the files are not in the god place now. Perhaps the files were displaced by the reinstallation of the items that I bought in Daz store.
    I need a scheme with the good places for each file and folder to clean and manage my library directly in the library folder, NOT in Daz.
    I know that the smart content is not the content library.
    But my library is now totally dispatched by the reinstallation (as I think).

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll leave a Note with the Daz Mac Community Volunteer so he can come and help you as soon as possible.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,498
    edited December 1969

Hello!

First off, DAZ Studio runs well on Mac OS X, there is one problem related to CMS that can cause crashes, and there are ways to minimize those, see the Mac FAQ.
    A couple of questions before I can give you some better advice:

Did you install the content manually or using the DAZ Install Manager? The latter is pretty good at installing things correctly as long as the installers are correctly setup, most are but humans sometimes err...

What are the paths shown in your DAZ Studio paths list for where your content is installed?

Where is you content installed on your system?

And I almost forget, which version of DAZ Studio and Mac OS X are you using?

With that information I can help you solve the problems I think. One of the main issues is that when you install using the Installers, specially the older ones (not the really old ones), they always default to the wrong directory (they default to DS 2 default path). I did that mistake in the beginning, believing that the installers knew where to install.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

I bought items in the older format. but when I find them in my content library. I can't open them in the soft. (ds files)

Older items are usually in Poser format and often have ds-files in the content library under Daz Studio Formats that are just material settings optimized for Daz Studio. If that is the case here, you'll probably find the items in the content library under Poser Formats. Try loading the items from there first and then apply the ds-files to them.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Older items are usually in Poser format and often have ds-files in the content library under Daz Studio Formats that are just material settings optimized for Daz Studio. If that is the case here, you'll probably find the items in the content library under Poser Formats. Try loading the items from there first and then apply the ds-files to them.

Then save them as Scene subsets/various asset types/presets/etc depending on what they are...then they'll be in duf format...and you can then ignore the older 'Poser formats' section in favor of the new loading files...which should be in the 'My Library' section of the Content Library and possibly even Smart Content...but that's for later, after any other loading bugs are worked out.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the help and sorry to replay later. (busy, busy)
    My os is: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
    My Daz version is: 4.5.1.6 pro edition 64 bit

I searched a little bit. Some contents are still here, dispatched here and there. I think that it's possible that the files were going in wrong places due to the fact that I uploaded too much items at the same time.
    I had found my own contents and I can use them after the search (my scenes and modified characters, etc).
    it's some stuffs that I can't use: a outfit that I bought. perhaps it's the path that was lost.

I think that some of my problems came because of in the idea to be careful, I made a copy of the library.
    but when I had past this copy to replace the corrupted library. all was wrong and I had to reinstall all my stuffs.
    I am not an expert, but I think that the paths to find the different parts of a product were lost during the copy-paste action.
    It's right that I had think to "restore" the library manually. But I am not sure that is a good idea.
    I will now uninstall the items that I can't use and try to reinstall them.
    I had seen that some are in the poser library and others in the daz library (ies)
    I don't know why it's e libraries. it's normal or it's a bug?
    thanks again for all your help.
    :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,498
    edited December 1969

Have you read this post? It is pretty well written and informative on the subject of how to setup a content library correct.