Transferring or Copying UV. Mapping

TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi Hexagoners

I was wondering what methods are used for transferring or copying a uv. map from one object to multiple other objects obviously with the same mesh type?
thanks.

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Not too sure what the question is - if you UV map a mesh then make multiple copies, each will have the same UV map.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Not possible in this case Roygee, the mesh "copies" have been generated, they have no uv mapping, I wish to uv map one and then transfer it to all the others 900 to be precise :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Was the original UV mapped before you started copying it?

How did you generate the copies?

edited December 1969

There is no original mjc1016, the mesh has been generated outside of Hexagon and has no mapping, I wish to unwrap one and then transfer the same uv map to all the others.

edited December 1969

OK...let me get this straight...

You have a single object, that hasn't been mapped, but there are 900 copies of it, each copy being an individual object on its own...and no UV mapping.

There's no easy way to do that...maybe no way to actually do it at all.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited March 2013

If you uv'd one and the other copies are exact duplicates the map should work for all. screen shots of the uv field and what you are doing would be helpful, no material zones? doesnt matter where the mesh comes from

Post edited by dot_bat on
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    If you uv'd one and the other copies are exact duplicates the map should work for all. screen shots of the uv field and what you are doing would be helpful, no material zones? doesnt matter where the mesh comes from

If they are set up as a group of objects or as parts of another object, short of doing something to each copy, it's not going to work.

In most apps...

You can create an object and copy it...then create a UV map for the 'original'. IF you haven't saved out/reloaded the copies or used whatever option your app uses to make virtual copies 'real' they'll be using that UV map...but if you've done that, then no, you'll need to map each one or replace it with the mapped one Of course, creating copies of a mapped object creates mapped copies.

If the copies were created in Hex and aren't being loaded as individual objects or anything...yeah, it might be possible. But if they weren't or they are being loaded as individual objects, then no...not easily. UV Mapper (Pro or Classic) would be able to do it...but it would have to be done 899 times.

Personally, I think it would be quicker/easier to map 1 and then just go ahead and recreate the other 899 copies.

edited December 1969

In Hex I am able to unwrap all or groups by just working with one and using pins, it results in lots of tiny flat uvs all the same shape but at different angles, this would not be so bad if I was dealing with a few as the uvs could be easily sized and rotated into the same or similar position good enough for my needs any way, unfortunately, I have many and am trying to avoid a tedious task :) I am looking at other software, it is possible Blender might be able to do it, I am not a user as such , but will have a go thanks chaps.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

I was wondering what methods are used for transferring or copying a uv. map from one object to multiple other objects obviously with the same mesh type?
    thanks.

Use blender:-

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Textures/Mapping/UV/Layout_Management

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Hi Hexagoners

thanks.

If there is, I hope there is, I cannot find it. That would be VERY cool though.

edited December 1969

Just to let you know chaps
    I did have success. The Blender route I was looking at works very well, in fact it did it so silently I had to take a double check to make sure all the objects had the uv map transferred to them. Some of you will know that I have been playing with plants, custom for Bryce really, I had a grass generator for some time,it does not use any mapping, it is very old, I wanted to improve on its output "uv maps" so that I could use a procedural parametric material or an image.
    Steve athome posted a link above "thanks" to the Blender manual page explaining how it is done.

Here is a test in Bryce

uv.png
    1050 x 460 - 521K
    edited December 1969

Aah - the penny drops!

Nicely done:)

Steve, if you are watching, mayhap you know how to do this in UU3D - I see a function to copy the map, but not how to transfer to a copy of the mesh.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Steve, if you are watching, mayhap you know how to do this in UU3D - I see a function to copy the map, but not how to transfer to a copy of the mesh.

Hi Roygee,

You can save the UV map with:- "File-> Export-> UVSet"

Create new scene load mesh to transfer UV to, then "File-> Import-> UVSet"

I have not found a way to transfer a UV map from one loaded object to a second(or multiple) loaded object(s), when in same scene, as you can do in blender. (The "2D -> "Copy UVSets / Swap UVSet" are only to move/tranfer the UVs between "UV set 1" and "UV set 2")

edited December 1969

Thanks, Steve - laborious, but does work - good to know if in a pinch:)

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

UV Mapper works pretty good for this as well. But not multiple objects at the same time I'm afraid.
    Just save down the UVS data and the import it again to the new mesh.

edited December 1969

Ghostman said:
    UV Mapper works pretty good for this as well. But not multiple objects at the same time I'm afraid.

Like I said...not easy...time consuming, tedious and maybe quicker to map one and redistribute...I bet.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Ghostman said:

Like I said...not easy...time consuming, tedious and maybe quicker to map one and redistribute...I bet.

Yeah! That's what I usually do. I only use this transfer method if I have a single mesh.

edited December 1969

mmm. blender transferred the map too the 900 objects one time just like copy and paste, I must admit it sort of impressed.

edited December 1969

mmm. blender transferred the map too the 900 objects one time just like copy and paste, I must admit it sort of impressed.

Yeah! I would be too. :D

edited March 2013

I've never had it work like that...I've always ended up having to do each one individually...and I've tried it that way many times. Because of that, I've gotten into the habit of making sure I had the object mapped before making copies. So if it's working that way now, color me very impressed.

And that's something else about Blender...you can spend years learning it and STILL learn new tricks, almost daily.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

I botched it at first, as I hardly ever use blender, was faffing around trying to discover how to select objects in the view and on the list :)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Or you just write a quick batch file to 'copy geometry.source + uv.source destination.obj'

edited December 1969

Ascania, that is an interesting one, you get a "geek of the week" award :) would you mind to explain how to do it a little more, sort of step by step please? will it work with one .obj file containing 1000 objects? I cannot see how it would, maybe ok for many .obj files, possibly.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

One feature of the copy command under DOS/Windows command line is that you can specify a second (and a third and so on) file and append it to the first one when writing to a destination by specifying "copy first.file + second.file destination.file". The "+" plus sign there before the second file signifies that.

And as .obj files are just ASCII text you combine a file with the object geometry with a prepared second one that just contains the UVs to one that now has geometry and UVs.

Via batch script you can then have the whole process repeated for every object (each in its own separate file though).

Just basic old-time DOS file operations really.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I like old time :) sounds like it would work good, do not know if I would ever need to do it that way but there is a time for everything.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

UV map first. Then make 900 copies of the object. Problem solved. Mule in front of cart.

edited December 1969

UV map first. Then make 900 copies of the object. Problem solved. Mule in front of cart.

Hey Shawn, try reading the thread before you make comments, engage brain before opening mouth.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

Hey Shawn, try reading the thread before you make comments, engage brain before opening mouth.

In your case, learn to UV map. That would help.

edited December 1969

With smart advice like yours, why bother :)

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Aw Shawn welcome back. What side of the bed did you get out this morning ? Give the OP a break. If you had read from the beginning of this thread his UV quandary would be clearer to you. He does know how to UV but in this situation had to find a work round. Which finally he did. Sorted, ;-)

Post edited by RedSquare on