luxrender

stonehandstonehand Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

this thing (luxrender) is a wast of my good money.
can't get the thing to work.
keeps asking for the path to lux whatever.
i follow the path to the plugin folder find luxrender and there's not a thing in there
found luxus dll its just in the plugin folder set that it don't work...tried copying the dll to the lux folder it don't work..

wast of time and cash

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Luxus is a plugin to allow rendering with the Luxrender render engine.

You need to download and install Luxrender separately.

Grab Luxrender here...

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/download

Then when it is installed, configure the plugin to the path (installed location) for Luxrender.

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Yes, you need to download the render engine, Luxus only conect DS to LuxRender. And its very simple to use right now.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Excuse me, but this is the Poser forum ... are you using Poser or Dazstudio?
    Luxus is for Dazstudio only.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Moved to DAZ Studio Discussion.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

And you may need to read PDF manuall . from web read me,
    linked .
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15891/start

download the pdf
    15891_luxus-manual.pdf
    under product note.

then you do not miss it,,download luxrender
    http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index
    take care,, you do not need to click link for duz studio plug-in.
    it only link of Reality (this is famous luxrender plug-in but,, it is no meaning to use Luxus plug-in)
    download standalone version instlaler.
    http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone

I choosed open CL version for my windows PC,,
    it seems work without problem for me,,
    (I can not understand where is difference between open CL and Non open CL,
    so if I say wrong please teach me,,)

(I am perfect new about luxrender, so I got this item to try luxlender.
    then installed all,, now I can tweak in lender setting tab @@;

it may difficult untill understand each parameter,so I must need to read manuall .
    first experience is so exciting ^^;

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

OpenCL can use GPU render... but for me it get process to 100% and my machine stop to responding... mouse almost lock in place.

• edited December 1969

I just bought the product and and the install manager to install it. when to the render engine drop down and luxus was not there. check the install file and there was no dll listed.
    How do I fix this?

Luxus_render.jpg
    521 x 877 - 84K
    edited December 1969

I just bought the product and and the install manager to install it. when to the render engine drop down and luxus was not there. check the install file and there was no dll listed.
    How do I fix this?

Install manager only installs the manual and shaders - you have to download the installer for the plugin here:
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloadable/customer/products/

• edited December 1969

Thanks, leave it DAZ to confuse people.......

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

I've been playing around with Luxus. I've definitely noticed differences in how it renders, how it treats light and the like. Like all render engines, it's going to take some time to figure out the nuances.

The only curiosity for me is render times. The sample scene I made with Genesis, no textures on the actor, and a bikini top and bottom with two spot lights and a point light seemed to be a good test. 3Delight rendered the scene in seconds. LuxRender... not so fast.

Within a few minutes I could see a good base render, but lots of noise in the shadow areas, so I decided to let the render keep running until it completed. I went to bed, slept all night, got up the next morning and decided to check how it turned out.

It was still rendering.

Although the noise in the shadow areas was better, it was definitely still there. So, I let it keep going figuring at some point it will stop.

Well, it's been another six hours and it's still going. The noise is almost completely gone now, but I was kinda wondering about letting it run to get a baseline on how long it would take to render.

Then it occurred to me, does LuxRender ever stop? Perhaps it just continues to run until I stop it.

It's my first time with LuxRender and their docs and forums weren't much help. So I thought I'd ask here.

• artsclusiveartsclusive Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I have it working swimmingly I got my materials working my lighting is just right. Ummm where is it saving to? I'm in the render panel and I have the location saved like I would rendering in 3Delight but when I hit render and Lux starts working I have no idea where it's saving to.

I'm not a hater. I give everything a try and frankly I've had more success with this out the gate than I ever did with Reality which took me 2 years of trial and error and version matching to finally get to work.

Anyway...where are my files saving?

• artsclusiveartsclusive Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    Then it occurred to me, does LuxRender ever stop? Perhaps it just continues to run until I stop it.

It's my first time with LuxRender and their docs and forums weren't much help. So I thought I'd ask here.

No it does not. It will continue until you reach a samples per pixel or quality that you desire. On average I let Lux work until I'm at 2k or even 4k S/p that is samples per pixel. The longer it runs the better it looks.

Just stop lux and find your image the way you last saw it in the preview pane.

edited December 1969

Whew... good, I thought I was doing something wrong.

edited December 1969

thebigjay said:
    On average I let Lux work until I'm at 2k or even 4k S/p that is samples per pixel. The longer it runs the better it looks.

Where do I find this in the Daz window? I know where to find it if I use the LuxRender GUI, but I decided to let it stay in a DazStudio window. I can't seem to find this info.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

When you are rendering to the DS render window, the samples/pixel info is scrolling in the Luxus console window. That's why the window is updating every few seconds. When you get to a value you like, hit the stop button on the console window to quit.

As for saving, if the DS render window is being used, the file will save to the location specified in the Render to setting in the render settings window. If you are rendering through the Luxrender GUI, the file is saved in the temp folder specified in the Edit->Preferences menu.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

after replacing a dead hard drive i tried to reinstall Reality 1.2 - but it wont install. the documentation says NOT to change the default instalation location, but when i try to instal, i get a message saying it cannot find DAZ Studio at that location, and to pick another location. i tried picking the folder where DAZ Studio resides, but i got error messages.

I also have another question. Will Reality work in DS4, or is it only designed to work in DS3.1? I see that there is a new product (Luxus) for use in DS4. If Reality is now obsolete, do Reality owners get a free upgrade to Luxus?

Also, does it matter where i put the LuxRender folders? I ask because the default instal location for that is in my Downloads folder.

edited March 2013

http://preta3d.com/reality-2-0/

Luxus is a different product by a different creator.

Post edited by Kerya on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited March 2013

@bigjay: files, including the Lux scene files, are apparently saved in the temp folder (Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp). That folder is wiped when DAZ Studio closes, so be sure to copy your scenes and renders elsewhere (this is unless you already save the renders elsewhere). This is especially important if you want to resume the render at a later time.

Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

Advanced Render settings in DS - select “Render to File” and choose a location and Luxus will save your Lux Render Scene to that location.
    If you are using the Luxrender GUI, you can save your render to anywhere. Do a File -> Export To Image -> Save Tonemapped Low Dynamic Range Image.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2013

nightkin said:
    after replacing a dead hard drive i tried to reinstall Reality 1.2 - but it wont install. the documentation says NOT to change the default instalation location, but when i try to instal, i get a message saying it cannot find DAZ Studio at that location, and to pick another location. i tried picking the folder where DAZ Studio resides, but i got error messages.

I also have another question. Will Reality work in DS4, or is it only designed to work in DS3.1? I see that there is a new product (Luxus) for use in DS4. If Reality is now obsolete, do Reality owners get a free upgrade to Luxus?

Also, does it matter where i put the LuxRender folders? I ask because the default instal location for that is in my Downloads folder.

Reality 1.2 does not work with DS4 but Reality 2.5 will work with DS4 and DS4 only, Reality 2.2 is the latest (and final) upgrade for DS 3
    Reality is far from obsolete, a version 3 is in slated for production after Reality 3 for Poser is released this month.

If you are having trouble with the install you may want to ask here
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?322-The-Official-Reality-for-Daz-Studio-Forum

No it does not matter where LuxRender is installed (windows) up to version 1.0, then believe it needs to go in your "programs folder" structure in windows, meaning don't try to run it off the desktop unless it's a shortcut to something in the programs folder. However if you are using Reality 1.x I don't think you can use LuxRender past version 0.9, you would need to upgrade to Reality 2 which would be discounted or free depending on when you bought Reality 1.

UPDATE: I pointed out to the developer of Reality that there were two different price updates on his page and he decided instead of making them both the same he would lower the upgrade price to $9.95

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

thank you StratDragon. interesting to see there is a version for Poser, as I also use Poser 7

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    thank you StratDragon. interesting to see there is a version for Poser, as I also use Poser 7

If you are referring to Reality, there is no version for Poser yet. It is nearing completion and will be released in the (hopefully) very near future. However, it will not work with Poser 7. It will require the latest service release (3.1) of Poser 9 or Poser Pro 2012.

Ciao
    TD

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2013

[edit] because I cross posted
    the poser version will be for Poser 9 and Poser 2012 so it wont run on 7/

The Developer (Paolo Ciccone) said that after the Reality 3 is released for Poser (possibly this month) a version 3 would be developed for Daz Studio 4.5.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

By the way: Preta3d is offering an upgrade price for Reality1 users
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?77052-clarification-on-Reality-1-to-Reality-2-upgrade-pricing

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

stonehand said:
    this thing (luxrender) is a wast of my good money.
    can't get the thing to work.
    keeps asking for the path to lux whatever.
    i follow the path to the plugin folder find luxrender and there's not a thing in there
    found luxus dll its just in the plugin folder set that it don't work...tried copying the dll to the lux folder it don't work..

wast of time and cash

welcome to the fascinating world of Unbiased Rendering!
    even if you get things working you still waste time for render your images, hours, even days.
    and that's for the mayority of unbiased renderings, Modo, Maxwell, Kerkythea, etc.
  • PantherTOPantherTO Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    How do I fix this?

Install manager only installs the manual and shaders - you have to download the installer for the plugin here:
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloadable/customer/products/

Would be nice if the Install Manager at least had a Document that would show in the Install Manager for products that require manual download. IE under Updates would be a Document for "DAZ STUDIO has been updated, please download from site."

This would work as a way to inform users to software updates via the install manager.