Important Old Features Missing in NEW SYSTEM!

GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Here are just some things:

1. Wishlist - Sale Filter is no longer available. Please put it back!

2. Available Downloads -now shows both Windows and Mac versions. Huge waste of time and space when I only need one version.

Please reduce the CLUTTER! And reveal the secret Account location where I can specify I only want Win or Mac ONLY.
Or if you forgot to put it in. Please ADD it as soon as possible.

3. I intensely dislike the Adobe Flash display of the Product Images. (I hated when Renderosity did the same thing!) I liked the way it used to be. You could see the main image, as well as other images, and as an option you could view them larger. Plus you could simply SAVE IMAGE.

a. After you click on thumbnal the resulting image is actually smaller than the thumbnail !

b. You can't save image without a lot of trouble. Why would I want to save image? Because I save the images in a folder
with my downloaded product so I know what the hell it is.
Since I'm sure you are permanently wedded to the hated Adobe Flash display how about this fix:

an icon to download all of the promo images in a zip file, or something like that

That's it for now. Let me know if you want more revelations of things that used to work well.

Dan

Comments

• TatalorioTatalorio Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Not to forget that Adobe Flash is a dead horse. More and more devises will not support it (Apple & Android). So no Daz on tablets....

Another Point regards the promo images is Studio 4 Smart Content. Without being able to save the images (and yes sometimes the 2nd or 3rd image is better) it is hard to build products in Smart Content.

Also the old Download section was endless scrollable, now it is split into pages which are only numeric not alphabetic or sortable by download date.

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:

b. You can't save image without a lot of trouble. Why would I want to save image? Because I save the images in a folder
    Since I'm sure you are permanently wedded to the hated Adobe Flash display how about this fix:

Dan

There is an easy way if you are using Firefox (Don't know about other browsers) If you Right Click on one of the Thumbnails to the right of the main image, you get a menu, and you can select "Save Link As" and it will download the image to your system.
  • GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:

Dan

There is an easy way if you are using Firefox (Don't know about other browsers) If you Right Click on one of the Thumbnails to the right of the main image, you get a menu, and you can select "Save Link As" and it will download the image to your system.

Hey Thanks, Art_Junkie,

I did not realize that I could download image directly from the thumbnail, I was r clicking on the single images you get after clicking the thumbnail.
    Great, this solves our problems.

Thanks again,

Dan

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    3. I intensely dislike the Adobe Flash display of the Product Images.

Definitely another entry on my list of "things I wish DAZ would give up on as a bad idea". The way it's been done isn't helping, either — you don't see the "next/last" arrows unless you hover the mouse over the right spot. Why do it this way, it's about the least obvious system I've seen anywhere.
  • edited December 1969

4. An indication on the product page of the download file size. The last iteration (126MB in 3 files) wasn't all that useful, because there was no way to tell if that was three 42MB files, or two 5 MB files and one 116 MB file, but at least it was something. Currently, there's no way to tell if I'll be able to download an item successfully on my slow connection.

If there are resumable downloads that Just Work, this isn't an issue.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 1969

4. An indication on the product page of the download file size. The last iteration (126MB in 3 files) wasn't all that useful, because there was no way to tell if that was three 42MB files, or two 5 MB files and one 116 MB file, but at least it was something. Currently, there's no way to tell if I'll be able to download an item successfully on my slow connection.

If there are resumable downloads that Just Work, this isn't an issue.

On a very related note, an indication on the download page of the file size.

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    3. I intensely dislike the Adobe Flash display of the Product Images. (I hated when Renderosity did the same thing!) I liked the way it used to be. You could see the main image, as well as other images, and as an option you could view them larger. Plus you could simply SAVE IMAGE.

Dan

Dan,
    it might be flash at Renderosity but DAZ is using HTML5.
    No flash player on my computer and I see the images just fine.

bob

• AnIronButterflyAnIronButterfly Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:

2. Available Downloads -now shows both Windows and Mac versions. Huge waste of time and space when I only need one version.

Please reduce the CLUTTER! And reveal the secret Account location where I can specify I only want Win or Mac ONLY.

THIS is something I want back, ASAP! I don't need to see Mac-stuff, as I have PC only!

Regards,

Kat

• AnIronButterflyAnIronButterfly Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

This is something I want...since I don't use Mac stuff.

Just adding my two pence worth to the opinion,

Cheers,

Kat

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I suspect they aren't going to spend the time implementing a PC or Mac preference because they are switching to Zip files, which will be the same for both platforms.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I suspect they aren't going to spend the time implementing a PC or Mac preference because they are switching to Zip files, which will be the same for both platforms.

Well as long as it seems it's going to take to fix and implement the customers requirements on the new site, my guess is it's going to be awhile before we see zip files, or at least I hope so, because they are too many more important issues to address than having zip files, so I suggest giving us back our option of mac or pc product downloads, at least to appease us with something, because so many other things have been taken away. Wow, I have been venting my frustrations all over the forums. Maybe they should have gotten other crap to work first before the forums went up before I get booted. I think I need to lay low for awhile, once I get my 25 posts in.

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

Well as long as it seems it's going to take to fix and implement the customers requirements on the new site, my guess is it's going to be awhile before we see zip files, or at least I hope so, because they are too many more important issues to address than having zip files, so I suggest giving us back our option of mac or pc product downloads, at least to appease us with something, because so many other things have been taken away. Wow, I have been venting my frustrations all over the forums. Maybe they should have gotten other crap to work first before the forums went up before I get booted. I think I need to lay low for awhile, once I get my 25 posts in.

Well, implementing a Win/Mac filter for downloads is website work, so I would think it might be faster (and less likely to break something else) to have the non-website folks work on switching to Zips.

edited May 2012

Well, implementing a Win/Mac filter for downloads is website work, so I would think it might be faster (and less likely to break something else) to have the non-website folks work on switching to Zips.

If you are telling me that adding one thing would take longer than creating 14,000 zip files, then we are in for a long haul because from what I have been reading in the forums, people are requesting a buttload of switches/triggers (whatever they are called) that have been taken away to come back and with a few more added on.

Post edited by ledhead on
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited May 2012

drdancm said:
    3. I intensely dislike the Adobe Flash display of the Product Images.

Definitely another entry on my list of "things I wish DAZ would give up on as a bad idea". The way it's been done isn't helping, either — you don't see the "next/last" arrows unless you hover the mouse over the right spot. Why do it this way, it's about the least obvious system I've seen anywhere.

I Agree with 'invisible Arrows' comment 100 Percent. Why aren't they visible?

I, too, wasn't a fan when Renderosity went to this format. I consider it an inconvenience that will eventually change when designers get bored with it.

It seems like every store is making it harder and harder to purchase an item and then download the information necessary for archiving it (e.g. photos and description).

Hey guys, EACH EXTRA CLICK YOU MAKE ME DO IS ONE CLICK ANOTHER PRODUCT OR POTENTIAL SALE THAT YOU OR ANOTHER VENDOR DOESN'T GET. I don't mind scrolling down a page, I do mind clicking. I only have so much time.

That goes for how many promo images I see on a page, too. If I still had dial-up, maybe It would be important to only see 15 images. Why is that your default? But I would rather have a default set for 120 images per page and then the ability to see 250, 500 or All images, and you don't even give me those options.

I still would like to see a store have a whole catalog page, PDF or whatever that has all the images, the size of the files, which figures the files pertain to and all the vendor's descriptions on it in one compact place that I can download in one click.

Sometimes I've put potential purchases back just because I know I don't have the available time to pull all the associated descriptive materials that go with them in my near future. Unless it's 90% off or something. Customer's archiving of descriptive materials is a reality that no one in the 3D sales place seems to have bothered addressing. What, you think I'm going to remember exactly what "amelius_1167dpc.exe" looks like or what it goes with in two years?

And no, don't go searching for that product; I made it up to make a point; as far as I know it's a fictitious combination.

Post edited by Consumer573 on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I too would like to add to the list of frustrations.

The biggest one for me is the lack of file information on the product page. I've been collecting Daz products for quite some time (about a decade now) and as a result I have over 2000 items if I'm remembering correctly. Often times it's quite a while from when I purchase an item until I actually install it. On numberous occassions this meant updates had been released fixing problems in the intial release. Not always do you guys actually get notifications out informing of updates and so as a result I've developed the habit of checking file number and sizes before I install to see if I have the latest version or not. Now that this information is gone from the product pages I have no quick easy way to insure I have the latest updates. I really don't understand why this was removed either, I see nothing to be gained by making it impossible for customers to tell at a glance if they have all the files they're supposed to have and if they're the right sizes.

I also am dismayed at the lack of sort options for the itemized purchases list and that it's now set up as pages rather then being a scrollable list. Once I have identified an item that needs updating the way the itemized purchases is set up now makes it an unnecessarily long and difficult process to find the item you want to reset.

Also the last time I checked the sales cart now appears to lack a "move to wish list" option. In the past on days when you all release a ton of new files I found it much quicker to move everything to the cart firt and then move them from there to the wish list. Now it seems the only way to do that is from the product page which is extremely slow (2 plus minutes per item).

Which brings me to my final complaint, Which is that everything seems much slower. Presumably the main reason for moving to a new e-commerce engine was to improve site performance and yet everything is much slower then before especially moving things to the wish list. I really don't see where your customers are benefiting at all by the new site.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

...Also the last time I checked the sales cart now appears to lack a "move to wish list" option. In the past on days when you all release a ton of new files I found it much quicker to move everything to the cart firt and then move them from there to the wish list. Now it seems the only way to do that is from the product page which is extremely slow (2 plus minutes per item).

This is true. I wonder why everything is slow with a new site. Perhaps they have it in debug mode, or outputting debug data. That would slow a site down. The forums seem to be snappy right now, though. I imagine that might change as more and more topics and posts build up.

Dana

edited December 1969

As for the promo images, you can save them if you use this little trick...right-click on the little thumbnail and select Open in new Tab. It opens as an image file rather than a Flash player component. You can then right-click and Save image.

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    As for the promo images, you can save them if you use this little trick...right-click on the little thumbnail and select Open in new Tab. It opens as an image file rather than a Flash player component. You can then right-click and Save image.

Dana

Or just right click over the thumbnail and select "Save Link as", it will save as the full size promo image and not the thumbnail image, at least that works for me.

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Or just right click over the thumbnail and select "Save Link as", it will save as the full size promo image and not the thumbnail image, at least that works for me.

I'll try to remember to check that out next time I get something. I just got the new freebie already, so next time.

Dana

edited December 1969

If you click on the "My Cart" button and then on "Shopping Cart" in the lower left of the pop-up, you can check off items you wish to move to wishlist, then "Update Cart" when you're done.

• FroschGottFroschGott Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, I just finished downloading my updated files and it was a pain... to find the pc files between the mixed and cluttered stuff.

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Another request, the option "View your post" in the new forum is dissapeared.

:coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Plain zip files are starting to show up! What's the manifest.dsx file that is in each one, with different sizes yet the same name?

Dana

edited December 1969

Go to your profile (click your name or the profile button) and click "View all posts by this user"

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Plain zip files are starting to show up! What's the manifest.dsx file that is in each one, with different sizes yet the same name?

Dana

We're guessing it's used by the Install Manager (which isn't yet available).

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Go to your profile (click your name or the profile button) and click "View all posts by this user"

Old system has been faster.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

Old system has been faster.

...and you didn't have to hunt for it.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

There are a couple of changes I've recently noticed that are likely not "issues" known or otherwise but rather they are things probably changed intentionally, although I don't understand why. One is that I don't see anywhere on the product pages where one can find items that are accessories to a particular item. On the old sites there was a link you could click on to see items that are add on's for a given item, like texture sets, poses, etc. This is something I depended on greatly to rebuild my runtime which is something one has to do sometimes, usually after a catastrophic hard drive failure. It's bad enough that I can no longer tell from the product pages if the file sizes I have are current or if I have an old set of files because I missed that an item was updated. It's also bad enough that I can't tell if I have all the files for a given item since the product pages no longer provides that info too but to not show files that are accessories for an item is more then just a major annoyance to someone like me, it also removes an opportunity for additional sales. I mean say I buy a clothing item for V4 if the link for accessories was there I might click it and see that there is a nice texture set for that item and buy that also but if there is no accessory link I might never know about that texture set and therefore not buy it. I'm just totally baffled that these issues that are likely causing a loss of sales seems to be okay with Daz and the vendors as I'm not seeing a huge outcry from anyone about the things no longer available on the product page.

Another thing I'm missing is the updated products forum, Daz has apparently stoppedending out email notifications of updated products like they used to. Which was fine because there used to be an updated products forum that would list most although not all new updates (I say that because when it was available I noticed there were items recently updated that did not appear there). However now I'm not seeing
    the updated products sub forum in the main forum directory anymore. So how is one supposed to know if there is an update? You can't compare file sizes anymore on the product page with what you have on your hard drive, you don't get email notifications and there doesn't seem to be a product updates forum any more. I mean it's really starting to feel like all Daz cares about is getting money from people and promoting new products but once you buy an item it's "Sorry Charlie, you're on your own". I've been a customer for about 10 years and in that time I've accumulated over 2000 items that I've purchased, that's just too much to try and manage on my own without some assisteance from the website. Perhaps if I only had a few items I could periodically reset everything and see if the file sizes are the same but with over 2000 items that's simply not workable and would add an unnecessary strain to the server for me to try to periodically reset all of those items.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited August 2012

drdancm said:

a. After you click on thumbnal the resulting image is actually smaller than the thumbnail !

an icon to download all of the promo images in a zip file, or something like that

I agree, especially with #3 and "Why would I want to save image? Because I save the images in a folder
    in particular...
    THANKS!...I have been doing this since I first started here... maybe "Lollipop for V4" means something to someone, but without an image it means nothing to me... I store all my files/models (that are not needed to be in a Runtime) on a separate HD, and even though I have MANY categories and sub folders to keep stuff organized, the image is always what I rely on in the end. Doing a screen capture of the slideshow is tedious.
    I'm glad someone else mentioned this.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

drdancm said:

I agree, especially with #3 and "Why would I want to save image? Because I save the images in a folder
    in particular...
    THANKS!...I have been doing this since I first started here... maybe "Lollipop for V4" means something to someone, but without an image it means nothing to me... I store all my files/models (that are not needed to be in a Runtime) on a separate HD, and even though I have MANY categories and sub folders to keep stuff organized, the image is always what I rely on in the end. Doing a screen capture of the slideshow is tedious.
    I'm glad someone else mentioned this.

As a matter of fact, you didn't even have to save them, you could drag & drop them.