Bryce under parallels?

csjcscsjcs Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Has anyone had any success running Bryce under Parallels? Probably a stupid question - can PC-based Bryce open Mac created files? I also wonder about purchased content - if something is already in a .obj format, will the PC verosion accept the add-on content?

I miss Bryce. It's not clear if Daz will ever support Macs anymore.

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Yep, Bryce 7 runs OK under Parallels (tested on Windows 7 Home Premium, Parallels 7 on a MacBook Pro running OS X Lion). I was also able to open and render files that I'd created on Mac. I haven't tested it extensively: basically, I just wanted to see if it worked, so I loaded up a simple scene or two and rendered them.

I can't compare rendering speeds with running Bryce natively because ... well, you know why. It's likely that there'll be a noticeable performance hit, though.

I'm not sure quite how to interpret your question about .obj files. Is there a particular test you'd like me to try?

I haven't tested the DAZ|Studio bridge in that configuration.

• csjcscsjcs Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for your answer. The .obj files are files created in Poser or DAZ Studio and then exported in a format Bryce can read (though the materials export that should go along with it doesn't always work).

I work with lots of glass textures, so the rendering time will probably take a hit, but I guess it's better than no Bryce at all. It will still have to be better than the 4 year old MBP I used to use. - that used to give me rendering time estimates of 24 hours.

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited June 2012

Bryce 6.x works fine under Parallels (Mac OS 10.6.8 / Windows XP). I've noticed, however, that the mouse has a really peculiar acceleration effect within 'Mac Windows' - slight nudges can send models and settings careening off into the wilderness.

There's also the question of gamut. Bryce will render the same scene in different Mac/PC gamuts, so be aware of that - Windows images will appear darker and more vivid in the midtones compared to the Mac rendering.

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • csjcscsjcs Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I thought that gamut was more related to the monitor calibration than to the software platform. As soon as the new computer comes, the first thing that I'll do is rerender some of the files for comparison. The Mac files I've been sending to a printing place have been coming back perfectly. I wonder if the Pc rendered images will require some adjustments.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

csjcs said:
    I thought that gamut was more related to the monitor calibration than to the software platform.

PCs use a gamma of 2.2, Mac used to have it at 1.8 though I'm not sure that was changed.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

You're right Horo, that was changed. Newer Apple Cinema Displays default to a gamma of 2.2. Not sure when that started...

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dan. It's always nice to see you in these forums. You're one of the last "old" Mac brycers who helps out here.

• aby8grimwaresaby8grimwares Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What is "Parallels"?

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Parallels:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac

Thanks Horo - always good to see you posting as well, always informative!
    Not Bryceing too much these days due to DAZ's wonderful Mac support ;-)

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,257
    edited December 1969

I am thinking about Parallels too. But I don't know if it is possible to send stuff I made with DS4 Pro, installed under Lion, to Bryce (PC version) with Parallels. I definitely don't want to install the PC version of DS4, because the Mac installers for any kind of content are so much better, and I don't want to repeat the chaos I had on my old PC! So, can anybody help me please?

• aby8grimwaresaby8grimwares Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Parallels:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac

Thanks Horo - always good to see you posting as well, always informative!
    Not Bryceing too much these days due to DAZ's wonderful Mac support ;-)

Thanks for the link, it was a lot of help.

• gdresch_8c94c3f8dcgdresch_8c94c3f8dc Posts: 13
    edited June 2012

Bryce will also run under Virtualbox, which has the advantage of being free!
    I have these configurations working on an 8-core Mac Pro:

XP SP3 vm on Mac OSX 10.6 ( Snow Leopard )

Snow Leopard vm on Mac OSX 10.7 ( Lion ) *

Windows Server 2008R2 on Mac OSX 10.7 ( Lion )

* officially, according to the EULA, only Snow Leopard Server should be run in a vm ( need to install SL as 64 bit )

if DAZ do not mind the link ? https://www.virtualbox.org/

Post edited by gdresch_8c94c3f8dc on