Odd Rendering Message

StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
edited March 2013 in New Users

Hi,

I've been using the "Spot Rendering Tool" to check my lighting in a scene and I keep getting a strange message while it's rendering. It also takes forever for a draft render to occur. Below is the message from my log file. Can someone interpret this for me, please. I even searched in 3Delight user manual to see if these error messages were noted. Thank you all for your help!

Rendering image
3Delight message #5 (Severity 1): T2041: texture '/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/SkiesOfEconomy/SoE-Night1.tif' was not generated by 'tdlmake' (performance and/or quality will suffer) (in shader 'DAZ/Uber/light/omUberEnvironment2' on object '')
3Delight message #4 (Severity 2): /Users/tricia/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d21_RyAnwyn_limbsBU.tdl : /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/SkiesOfEconomy/SoE-Night1.tif : Can not read tiles from a stripped image (in shader 'omnifreaker/displacement/omDispStandard' on object '')
Finished Rendering

Post edited by Stormlyght on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

It means that an image could not be converted into the special format 3Delight uses, though it looks as if it's trying to apply an environment map to a displacement channel which seems very odd in itself. Are you in fact using a Skies of Economy set for your lighting?

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

It means that an image could not be converted into the special format 3Delight uses, though it looks as if it's trying to apply an environment map to a displacement channel which seems very odd in itself. Are you in fact using a Skies of Economy set for your lighting?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your response! Yes. I'm using the Skies of Economy set. It's a night scene. It has a Sky Dome, and two distant lights one for moonlight and another for UberEnvironment. I'm not sure why it's applying an environment map to a displacement channel. Is this something I should change in my surfaces tabs?

edited December 1969

It's more likely to be a confusing error, but check the settings for the sky dome to see if it has the map in an unexpected place.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Message 1 could also mean that while the image is already in tif format, it is either not a type of tif tdlmake recognizes, or, more likely, it was 'preconverted' by a different version of tdlmake.

#2 could be because you are using the spot render. Are you including the entire character in the spot render? And does that message appear doing a full render?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Message 1 could also mean that while the image is already in tif format, it is either not a type of tif tdlmake recognizes, or, more likely, it was 'preconverted' by a different version of tdlmake.

#2 could be because you are using the spot render. Are you including the entire character in the spot render? And does that message appear doing a full render?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I hadn't completed an actual full render until last night. In response to your first question, I only did certain areas not the entire character. And yes, the messages show up during a full render. Please see below. I've never had it do this before and I'm just not sure how to correct it. The render time was significant. Thank you for any help or assistance.

3Delight message #5 (Severity 1): T2041: texture '/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/SkiesOfEconomy/SoE-Night1.tif' was not generated by 'tdlmake' (performance and/or quality will suffer) (in shader 'DAZ/Uber/light/omUberEnvironment2' on object '')
    3Delight message #4 (Severity 2): /Users/anne/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d54_RyAnwyn_browGenBU.tdl : /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/SkiesOfEconomy/SoE-Night1.tif : Can not read tiles from a stripped image (in shader 'dzdisplace' on object '')
    Created RenderCacheBlock

Total Rendering Time: 1 days -28.-6 seconds

edited December 1969

It's more likely to be a confusing error, but check the settings for the sky dome to see if it has the map in an unexpected place.

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure what I'm looking for regarding the map. I looked in my surfaces tab but I'm not sufficiently educated in what they all represent. I thought about posting a snapshot of the settings but I had so many snapshots that I thought perhaps if you could narrow down the area I should be looking I would post that one. Thank you once again for your help!

edited December 1969

Look to see which properties have actual images associated with them, particularly the tiff that's throwing the error.

edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the direction. I was reading in another thread how LuxRender seemed to be throwing an error with 8 bit Tiff files. Does 3Delight have this issue I wonder? And if so, should I convert to a 16 bit or perhaps a .png or .jpg. Suggestions?

Thank you. Have a great day!

edited December 1969

Swapping it to another format will alter the image...resaving it as a tif may work, if you don't add any compression or change it in any other way.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505
    edited December 1969

I've see this too, on Mac OS X, I will see what format the images are in on OS X.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    I've see this too, on Mac OS X, I will see what format the images are in on OS X.

The tif message seems to be related to the capabilities of the tif libraries available to the application trying to read the image...and if the read machine has an older/more limited version than the creating machine, this will be the result. Googling the error turned up some references to similar errors on various Linux distros with certain libtiff versions and updating libtiff was one 'cure' suggested cure. Another was finding a program that could open the image, without error and then resaving it, possibly at a different bit count or something. That's because some programs have self-contained image format libraries and don't rely on the system wide ones.

If this were a common problem, there'd probably be more posts about it...and Totte, if you've seen it more on OS X systems, I'd be inclined to think that the particular libtiff version in that version of OS X is the root of it.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Totte said:

The tif message seems to be related to the capabilities of the tif libraries available to the application trying to read the image...and if the read machine has an older/more limited version than the creating machine, this will be the result. Googling the error turned up some references to similar errors on various Linux distros with certain libtiff versions and updating libtiff was one 'cure' suggested cure. Another was finding a program that could open the image, without error and then resaving it, possibly at a different bit count or something. That's because some programs have self-contained image format libraries and don't rely on the system wide ones.

If this were a common problem, there'd probably be more posts about it...and Totte, if you've seen it more on OS X systems, I'd be inclined to think that the particular libtiff version in that version of OS X is the root of it.

And, it has behaved much like the dreaded "tdlmake hang", sometimes it happens, often not.

edited December 1969

Hi Richard, Totte and mic1016,

I am using Mac OS 10.6.8 the last version of Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro late 2008 version. I've had few issues running DAZ Studio 4.5 or the different render engines on it. I decided to try resaving the TIF file, which I did in PS5; that seemed to clear the error. I'm not sure what caused the issue because I've used other lighting/sky domes from this particular package and no errors were thrown. Once again, I appreciate all of your help! By the way, when I rerendered it only took 5 hours instead of 20.

Have a great day!

edited December 1969

PS usually has self contained image format libraries, so the chances are we'll never know for sure what was the original cause, but if resaving it cleared it up then you're good to go.