DA Tomb Raider Reborn Contest: Would you describe DAZ products as "stock assets" or "stock materials

linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
edited November 2013 in The Commons

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 1969

I looked at that email too and figured it would have to be entirely postwork with maybe a Daz figure used as Poser was originally intended a human figure posed guide.
    maybe in the bottom layer to be then deleted?
    was actually even speculating if I could draw her with a pencil on paper using a Daz render on my screen as a model who sat still!
    but then decided, blah, too much bother setting up my scanner with my desktop (never has been)

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited March 2013

The way it reads, it would certainly imply that any 3D asset that is pre-made disqualifies you from the contest. However, if you are using these only as the base and intend to overpaint the render, I can see no reason why that would disqualify you, since in that case, these stock assets won't show up in the final piece (using them in the same manner as you would a physical model or template that you traced over). So in essence, straight renders are disqualified, but painting over these renders to produce a new piece would not (especially if the postwork modifies the image that the identifiable "stock assets" no longer look the same).

Post edited by Servant on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

This is not a Render contest for one, it's a digital Artist contest, that said 3d content can be used if created by the entrant for the contest. Think ZBrush, Maya and along those lines. The Stock part is for folks that would use Texture resource kits (which must be mentioned) but modified by the entrant for use in the contest. So in short DS and any content is Stock by both terms of the contest rules.

And yes painting over a render would be allowed I believe.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
    edited November 2013

edited December 1969

In any way it seems there is still a lot of groundwork left to be done to inform people how this all works.

For outsiders it seems very hard to understand how 3d models are created.
    Even simple differences like the geometry and textures may seem difficult to understand.

I guess it will take a long time until people understand that even when one uses licensed content the outcome of the image is dependent on the vision of the artist by placing those contents in the scene.
    Like in photography camera angles and lighting used will make a huge difference even when the same content is used by several people.

It's a common misconception that 3D is "easy" and "point and click". While there is, technically, a grain of truth to that, it is no different than a photographer uses a camera and live models and setting up a background to take a picture, yet the latter is still considered an artform. There is a certain amount of elitism involved from the traditionalists and the digital artists, as well. And even among 3D/CGI artists, elitism exists from those only using assets they create over the "Poser crowd" (i.e. those of us who use premade models).

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Cool - I just made a adventure game/movie that has many Tomb Raider inspired elements to it, using a pig as the main character. Check out Hormel Hog in Volcano Rescure for WebGL Browser or Android at FarmPereps.com.

• Shjak MondeShjak Monde Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Ok The "Tomb Raider Reborn" Contest has Closed.
    Now I find this Question about Stock Material.
    I was in the Assumption that Stock Material Meant "As Is".
    Meaning that I am not to take any Purchased Material and Claim that it was produced and sold as a Product that I created.
    The very Base of DAZ Studio is.. I Purchase a Model.. (lets say Victoria 4.2). I am NOT allowed to Sale This Model back to the Public as if I Created this Model myself.
    However I am Allowed to take that Model and Change the Shape. I am also allowed to Change the Skin. I am allowed to Dress the Model in what ever Clothing I desire. I am allowed to Pose the Model in whatever Desired Pose, Set The Lighting, Create a Backdrop and Render the set to Photoshop to Post Render an Image That I am allowed to sale as My Creation. ( The Image not the Model.)
    Now I could be Totally wrong about this. But that was the way I read it.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

For the future, products sold through DAZ3D are allowed for commercial and non-commercial work.

If you wish to enter a contest and are unclear about the rule, ask those putting on the contest. The DAZ3D EULA is available for them to read and decide on their own if its valid for their contest.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
    edited November 2013

edited December 1969

I also had sent email to question portions of the rules for more clarification and was redirected back to the same page of the rules in which had confused me in the beginning, with the explanation that they were not able to lend more clarification of the rules in which would not be allowed to all the others participants of the contest.
    So I am to assume that it is left up to the individual to interpret those rules.
    Yes I also saw every nature of intrusion of those rules and I assume they will be thrown out of contest when discovered.
    I only hope that my Interpretation of the rules are correct. If I am wrong then I will find my Entries removed from contest.
    However this is my first deviantArt Contest and I do not expect to win, but instead will learn a lot from the experience and this would include "The interpretation of their Rules".
    I am sure that, once everything is over with, there will be discussions in forums about the rules and how they were to be interpreted.
    And I assure you it will be a sad day if we discover that the community frowns upon the 3d digital artist..
    I am sure this is not the Case.
    However I did enjoy the Challenge. I produced about eight Entries. I have been noticed now because my Galleries had 14 views in the beginning of this Contest and I now have1800 views. 1685 whom have Favorited me and is growing everyday.
    Yeah I would Love to win the Contest but just being involved sheds lots of rewards all by itself.

edited December 1969

In cases like these, I would go with the literal interpretation So again, straight renders would have disqualified you, but if you used them simply as the base, it's arguable that they are really stock anymore.

Personally, I think they're just being overly cautious to avoid potential lawsuits and so they have freedom to use the entries for promotion (which is why I didn't join the contest myself... it was too creatively stifling for my tastes).

edited December 1969

Oh I totally agree with you. It is definitely all about the legal aspect .
    However I feel I am legal and if what I do is not legal, I want to know about it, so I can change it and become legal.
    Like I said, This is a learning experience if not anything else.