Cloth Modifier

stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

There is a cloth modifier...I dont mean bullet physics. It says "cloth modifier" in the Modifiers tab.,in the 8.5 beta.I t has lots of luverly sounding settings. Is this supposed to work or is it a place holder for the "future".Anybody got a clue.

But while I am here. In bullet physics, is the "pressure" setting supposed to be used for keeping the integrity of an object with a bit of thickness? Does this work? I tried it at 100 and my object pokes through itself.
I am just doing simple draping as usual, but it would be nice if my cape had a bit of thickness.

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

There is a cloth modifier...I dont mean bullet physics. It says "cloth modifier" in the Modifiers tab.,in the 8.5 beta.I t has lots of luverly sounding settings. Is this supposed to work or is it a place holder for the "future".Anybody got a clue.

But while I am here. In bullet physics, is the "pressure" setting supposed to be used for keeping the integrity of an object with a bit of thickness? Does this work? I tried it at 100 and my object pokes through itself.
    I am just doing simple draping as usual, but it would be nice if my cape had a bit of thickness.

I think pressure is about keeping the integrity of a soft-bodied CLOSED object, like a beachball with some air in it.

I'm assuming your cape is like most Poser cloth and 1-sided?

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Just testing stuff, simple cape given thickness, I will go back to no thickness, run a simulation then add thickness later, its for a ,still no animation.
    I assembled my scene in the 8.5 beta, but it seems a bit sticky when you move things about , there seems to be a slight delay, So I went back to 8.1, then my figure would not render, it did not seem to exist! After an age I figured out that the "filter" in the texture room had been set to "mip-map" or something in 8.5...then back in 8.1 this setting does not exist,so there was nothing selected ,so I had to reselect "sampling" then my figure re appeared ....hoorah. fun and games Holly!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

HA! Always an adventure! :lol:

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No pressure does not actually work and has been bugged; quite some time ago.

And where is this cloth modifier?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited March 2013

HI Stu :)

Pressure is broken,. ..has been for a couple of releases.
    It should simulate an object filled with air / liquid,.

for the illusion of thickness,.. you should be able to adjust the Collision distance, so that the soft-body object collides at a greater distance from the model.

There should be a collision distance option in the softbody panel which overrides the default "Scene" / Physics / collision distance.

:)

OOPS :)

forgot to add,..

The Cloth "modifier" is probably from Sparrowhawke 3D,.. it's not part of C 8.5

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

The Cloth "modifier" is probably from Sparrowhawke 3D,.. it's not part of C 8.5

Yup ;)

edited December 1969

Here it is in 8.1,it also appears in 8.5 but crashes carrara. I thought Sparrowhawks thing had a lot less options than this and I an not sure I even downloaded it, especially to put in 8.5.

I gave up on my draping cape ,it was a nightmare! I ended up just sculpting it in 3d Coat in about 10 mins,good enough for a still,but if I do another pose I will have to sculpt it again. 3dcoat has a nice tool a bit like zsperes in zbrush, you can draw an outline with a "curves " tool just by stamping down spheres ,then fill it in,a bit of smoothing and its done. It still has its problems though. Think I will take up watching TV as a hobby....its easier.

The pressure tool seemed to work a bit on a ball I attempted......maybe I will make the alien from "Dark Star" next.

cloth.JPG
    673 x 581 - 58K
    edited December 1969

How hard to do can this be?

alien.JPG
    364 x 282 - 27K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hey, I think I watched that movie once! Once. It kind of sucked. Sorry.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Isn't that Dark Star?
    edited December 1969

Yes it is, I made a throwaway quote about it in above post......but now I am seriously thinking of adding it to my collection of daft monsters!
    That would probably take about an hour in 3dcoat......painted and rendered!........cut to me, pulling my hair out 3 days later......