LIE Presets: how do you make them?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I need to make LIE presets that do not affect the base Diffuse texture... but I haven't got the first clue how to save them! Any Help?

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I need to make LIE presets that do not affect the base Diffuse texture... but I haven't got the first clue how to save them! Any Help?
    It's on the archive site, but I wrote a tutorial for this ages ago: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=147092

If you need me to I can redo it on the new forums.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Did I mention U RAWK?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    wancow said:
    It's on the archive site, but I wrote a tutorial for this ages ago: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=147092

If you need me to I can redo it on the new forums.

Actually, Adam...I'd like it as a PDF.

I've been going through and converting some of those tuts to pdf...but it is hard to do when the pics aren't where they are supposed to be.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    I've been going through and converting some of those tuts to pdf...but it is hard to do when the pics aren't where they are supposed to be.

This is where I tease you about not reading the thread, right? :)

But since the archive site is so slow, here's a direct link to the pdf. ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Ok...then I'm blind....

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm using that tutorial, but it turns the character's face all black save the LIE preset. How do I make it work right? I have the Alpha Channel blend and everything. Help, please!

edited December 1969

Oh, come on, can't anyone help me? :(

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

We'll need more information on what steps you took to get that result. It could be a range of things from an incorrect texture, to not having transparency and using the wrong blend mode. Post the steps you took, and we'll see if we can help further.

edited December 1969

Lemmee see, these steps...

--Diffuse Color dropdown, browse file, select bla-bla .png (possesses transparency-- only the eyebrows and eyeliner exist)
    --The layered image editor has "Alpha Layer Blend" by default, so I didn't have to alter this
    --My diffuse color is a pale blue at 100%

As far as I can recall, that's it. The default color on the layered image editor is black, but changing it to white didn't fix it either.

edited December 1969

If I read your steps correctly then you've actually replaced the diffuse layer with your transparency overlay. What you want to do is open up the LIE and add a new layer by clicking the plus icon. Select the newly created layer and then select browse, and it will overlay your new file over the old one. You might need to rescale it if the image resolutions are different.

Once it's positioned, exit out of the LIE and your diffuse image should look right.

edited December 1969

Oh, yeah, that's right, I tried that as well, but the new layer also turns the character's face all black, even if I change that layer's default color to white...

edited December 1969

Post an image of the LIE window with both layers added and I might be able to isolate the problem easier.

edited December 1969

Here.

LIENotWorking.jpg
    804 x 682 - 45K
    edited March 2013

You only have one layer. Once again, you've replaced the original layer with a new one. You need to ADD a layer first. Do this by clicking on the PLUS icon (+) just below the layers window. Remember, it's a layered image editor. Each new image has to be added to its own layer or it will replace whatever was originally there.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited March 2013

I also tried that. I created a new layer, added a face texture, then created a second, used the LIE preset, then removed the face texture map from the first layer as I just want makeup and eyebrows over a non-textured face. STILL doesn't fix the problem.

Post edited by IceEmpress on
    edited March 2013

Removing the face texture means you're removing the original surface. Keep it in place when you work with the LIE. Transparent patches in the diffuse texture will be replaced with black.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

WHAT?!?! So how do I use a LIE without a face texture?! Don't tell me it's not even possible...! If it's not, then what's the damn point of LIEs in the first place?! A person could more easily apply the transparent layer to a solid color background and just cut out the middleman!

edited December 1969

The point of the LIE is in its name: Layered IMAGE Editor. It's designed to layer multiple images. To do what you want you don't need an alpha channel. You simply use a white surface instead and the surface colour you apply will be the surface colour of all white areas.

edited December 1969

Uh, could you run that last sentence by me again, please? :(
    DO I use a white surface and apply a diffuse color, or do I apply a surface of the diffuse color I want?

edited December 1969

White on the Image (JPG, PNG, BMP or TIF) That's what accepts your diffuse colour at 100%. White is completely neutral to diffuse, it's not additive like any other colour because there's nothing to add.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited March 2013

Add a lower layer that has only the diffuse colour you want. I see from the log file that the Blend mode throws quite a few errors I don't understand.

Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

I'm still confused why you'd want the makeup but not the face it goes onto o.O

edited December 1969

I'm still confused why you'd want the makeup but not the face it goes onto o.O

Me two... :)

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited March 2013

opal42987 said:
    WHAT?!?! So how do I use a LIE without a face texture?! Don't tell me it's not even possible...! If it's not, then what's the damn point of LIEs in the first place?! A person could more easily apply the transparent layer to a solid color background and just cut out the middleman!

I totally get what you're saying because I was Googling for an answer to figure this out also and ran into this thread. I take it like me...you just want a makeup preset that you can use on multiple skins...like sublime accents, the A5 Gesha product, or M4 or is it M5 tattoo kit.

Anyway, this is what I figured out from this thread and some experimentation because there is no save on 4.5 pro which had me confused when reading through this thread as the screen grabs had a save option.

Okay, so you add you makeup layer over the skin like they've said in this thread. Leave the skin texture on and hit accept. Note: I found if you want to do an eye makeup lip combo that stays together you have to add another layer then add you lips.

Don't worry about the skin texture, it won't save when you save the preset just the makeup layer(s).

Assuming you have hit accept, after a few seconds the character will update with your makeup over the character's skin texture.

Go to the menu bar and select File

Your make-up preset minus the skin texture will be found DAZ Studio Formats<My Library

Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited December 1969

Found a caveat...

UV's matter.

I was mythed why the Geishas for Aiko 5 product LIE presets were applying incorrectly over my V5 skin textures. Going back and reading the product description cued me in that they would apply over any Aiko 5 texture. Tried Aiko 5's texture no problem. So, this leads me to conclude that the character texture UV map on which you build your LIE preset will determine what textures you can have the LIE preset apply correctly over. Thought I'd pop back in this thread and save you the headache of finding that one out.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited March 2013

Thanks Pixel8ted, this was on my list of things to figure out the details on, so you've saved me some time :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • adamr001 said:

Thank you very much.for direct link..archive site is down.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2018

Please note that this is a very old thread  The Archived site has been closed for some years now.

Post edited by Chohole on
This discussion has been closed.