Using Parallel or spot lights with volume in bryce 7 pro

DarkRiderDLMCDarkRiderDLMC Posts: 561
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I had no problem using volume lights through version 6.1 and the effect was a;ways great. In 7 pro, I can only get them to turn from black once in awhile and they are never as bright as they were in previous versions. I've changed hardware 3 times since installing 7 pro to no avail, so I'm turning here again in hopes of finding help/

Can some post a graphic with a nice bright volume spot or parallel pointing up onto the sky and a screencap of the light settings? Or a render of Clay's Tuhrom Ship with the engine "trail" lights shining really brightly and a cap of the settings?

I would be deeply thankful!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I had no problem using volume lights through version 6.1 and the effect was a;ways great. In 7 pro, I can only get them to turn from black once in awhile and they are never as bright as they were in previous versions. I've changed hardware 3 times since installing 7 pro to no avail, so I'm turning here again in hopes of finding help/

Can some post a graphic with a nice bright volume spot or parallel pointing up onto the sky and a screencap of the light settings? Or a render of Clay's Tuhrom Ship with the engine "trail" lights shining really brightly and a cap of the settings?

Are you talking about getting this effect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAmVI9lFMro

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Wasn't sure either but I did some messing around and the old parallel lights accept a volume texture but the newer square parallel lights don't seem to (Mac).
    Image shows 2 lights, left is the old and to the right the new (invisible) parallel lights both exactly the same size and texture.
    The light editor just has the Volume visible light selected and the texture I used on both is shown.

para_vlight.jpg
    618 x 733 - 180K
  • DarkRiderDLMCDarkRiderDLMC Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

Are you talking about getting this effect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAmVI9lFMro

Below are three (sorry) graphics - one depicting Clay's ship rendered in 7pro, the other two settings. In 6.xx this ship dropped into bryce provided long glowing trails in almost any lighting one chose. I DID get volume spots and parallels working well today, doing nothing different than I usually do. But I would like to figure out why clays ship fails so miserably in 7 and worked so well in the previous versions.

7ProA.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 415K
    edited March 2013

settings a

7ProB.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 157K
    Post edited by DarkRiderDLMC on
    edited December 1969

settings last

7proc.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 160K
    edited December 1969

Wasn't sure either but I did some messing around and the old parallel lights accept a volume texture but the newer square parallel lights don't seem to (Mac).
    Image shows 2 lights, left is the old and to the right the new (invisible) parallel lights both exactly the same size and texture.
    The light editor just has the Volume visible light selected and the texture I used on both is shown.

Thank you! I found turning on "Flat Shading" made the light look like solid bars rather than volumetric on my machine, but you were my 4 leaf clover! I went into Bryce after looking at your graphic, created a volume para;;e; and textured it with a variety of textures, changing the sky behind it each time and it rendered acceptably throughout.

No big black band, no problem and I didn't touch any setting. Right out out of the box, so to speak. Very uncommon for me...

Thank you, Dan.

edited March 2013

More Fun with Bryce Volumetric Parallel lights.
    Screen 1: 2 tori and ground plane, volume parallel in one
    Screen two: above rendered - nice, fat volume light using stock settings! Joy in Mudlville!!!
    Screen 3: add a second volumetric parallel to the scene inside the second torus, same settings as parallel 1.
    screen 4: above (3) rendered to find both parallel lights much, much, much dimmer!

MFWBVPL4.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 241K
    MFWBVPL3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 398K
    MFWBVPL2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 248K
    MFWBVPL1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 395K
    Post edited by DarkRiderDLMC on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I seem to recall that Clay found this bug too... This one I think https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=16514 (only accessible to the beta testers sorry) but the files wouldn't upload so they had to be emailed and so I can't give you his example - but having read through each of the 1000+ bug reports there at least once a week for over a year, I reckon it was Clay that reported this at least once in one of his many volume bug reports. The other common issue, which also was not addressed, was volume blending. So if you put two volumetric objects so they overlap the surfaces will shear into each other creating an ugly banded area. Which makes building clouds out of "blobs" of volume material mapped to spheres somewhat awkward.