Various Questions about V4/M4, V3/M3 and Genesis, Clothing Creation

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello everyone,

For a while I sorta disappeared from 3D art, shortly after V4 came out. When I came back I learned about her, M4 and Genesis, and I had some various questions on them.

First, I remember getting something that would allow me to refit V3 hair to V4 -- at least I think it did, but I cannot seem to find it in my inventory anymore. Where can I find such refitters if they exist? Also, I have a lot of M3 hairs I want to give to M4 or even M3 hair to M4--any suggestions?

My second question had to do with Genesis. Can any clothing made for V4/M4 fit her? I'm under the impression from what I have observed, that Genesis can be made wonderfully into a guy, a woman or various creatures. If I do a lot of character art, I wonder if I should get her. I would like to, maybe, if all V4/M4 stuff fits her as well.

My third question: I have no experience creating things except from basic prims. I am interested in making clothing... where and how would I start? The only 3D program I have, however, is DAZ.... can you make clothing with it or do I need a wholly new product? And what would be both easy and best? I'm guessing Poser though i have had difficulty trying to learn that in the past, and unfortunately lost it when I broke my previous hard drive.

Also, I have clothing for either M4 or M3 I want to try fitting on V4 or V3... is there anything for that too?

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited June 2012

M4 & V4 clothing does fit Genesis if you use the autofit tool that comes with Daz 4. (Daz 4 Pro is free)

If you want to make clothing, you will need a 'modeling/creation' program. There are numerous free ones available such as Anim8or, Blender and so on. Blender in my opinion has a user interface that is not user-friendly for beginner creators but is very powerful. Anim8or is user-friendly (sort of) but doesn't have all the bells and whistles as Blender in my opinion. However, Daz is offering Hexagon for free and it is a 'modeling/creation' program. And for me it was easier to learn and maneuver around in than Blender. Once I learned Anim8or and Hexagon, I find that I understand Blender much better but I prefer Hexagon anyways because of its friendliness. Hexagon has tons of useful tutorials on YouTube as well as pdfs if you search the web for them.

As far as making M3 items to fit M4 and so on, I'm not sure if there is a tool or script out there. I've never worked with the Gen3 characters. However if the body shapes and such are similar to Gen4 characters I don't see why you can't import the gen3 clothing and the gen 4 character into you modeling program and resize the clothes to fit and save out as a new obj and so on. There are numerous other steps but that's the basics of it. You can try loading the m3 hair onto m4 and use the parameters tab in Daz to rescale and make sure the hair is parented to M4 so that is moves with him. A neat thing though is that Renderosity and ShareCG users have listed tons of hair fits for various characters for Gen3 to Gen 4 and Gen 4 to Gen 3. So you might want to look there.

Forgot to add that With Genesis you can use M4, V4, K4 and so on textures. You have to use the surface tab to change which UV map you are using and from there you can chose the Gen 4 character texture and apply to Genesis. You can even use the Gen4 character morphs using Daz product GenX (sold seperately) or if I understand correctly with a bit of knowledge about the morph loader tools that come with Daz 4 you can use Gen4 morphs and tweak them to work with Gensis if you do several steps. It's a bit more difficult that using GenX

Post edited by fictionalbookshelf on
  • DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Thank you much for the information.

Still wondering if it would be beneficial for me to try Genesis, or go to V5/M5... I'm trying to make the most of what I have already. I tried DAZ Studio 4 but I did not like it *at all*. Maybe one day I'll try it again, though.

Thanks again.

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited June 2012

Thank you much for the information.

Still wondering if it would be beneficial for me to try Genesis, or go to V5/M5... I'm trying to make the most of what I have already. I tried DAZ Studio 4 but I did not like it *at all*. Maybe one day I'll try it again, though.

Thanks again.

I totally understand where you are coming from. It's a big leap but with Genesis's ability to use the Gen 4 character morphs, textures, clothes and so on it's worth it to try. I'd try with learning about Genesis first and then decide if you want V5 & M5. With Daz 4 pro and hexagon for free you can even bridge export out any figure such as Genesis or a Generation 4 figure into Hexagon, apply your own morphs to the figure and then send back to Daz to finish your scene.

Post edited by fictionalbookshelf on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

You can't have V5 and M5 without Genesis and you can't have Genesis without DS4.

If it was the UI of DS4 that you disliked the Darkside plugin that comes with the free pro version makes DS4 look like DS3.

I hated DS4 to start with but once I'd got use to it I wouldn't go back.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

M5 and V5 are shapes for Genesis. Not stand alone figures like Gen 4.

If you want to create different kind of characters, use your previous content and also make clothes, the obvious path seems Genesis.

You can use Gen 4 textures, Gen 3 and 4 hair and clothes, and Gen 3 and 4 morphs on Genesis. Some of those features depends on additional items like the Iconic Shapes or Gen X. But the added value of using all that previous content is great.

You can use Gen 4 textures and clothes without any additional item. AutoFit, or alternatively the Transfer Utility (both included in the free DAZ Studio 4 Pro) will adjust them to Genesis.

Creating content for Genesis is way much easier than for previous figures. The tools for creating the content are included in the free DAZ Studio 4, but of course, as mentioned you need a modeling application to create the mesh.
    I like Hexagon. It’s also free.
    Got used to DAZ Studio 4 interface in no time, mostly because I’m using Darkside, which is very similar to DS 3.

Hope this helps.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited June 2012

If you have sort order set to relevance this should get you most of the Hair Conversion System modules - I imagine it was one of these you had. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=hair+conversion+system

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

In regards to creating clothing it's good to have a basic idea of how to use whichever modelling program you go with.

Once you know how to use the basic interface of your program of choice I would highly recommend the tutorials by Lady Littlefox over at RDNA. There is also a really good tutorial here at DAZ unfortunately it's early here and my brain isn't functioning yet and I can't remember the authors name.

He has also done many tutorials that are over at Rendo. Just remembered his name Fugazi...so I hope that helps.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for such informative responses! :) It's really appreciated.