Complete Newbie questions (sorry in advance!)

chris-2233891chris-2233891 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi Folks

Before I even download daz3d, I have a couple of questions please.

I'm a complete beginner to 3D (although have been a designer for web and print for many years).

I'm thoroughly versed in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark, etc.

My project...

To create a 'series' of 3D figures (all based on one), in different poses for an internet site (possibly 12 in all).

My questions...

Will the app run on an old Mac (OSX 10.4.11)?
How steep a learning curve to get to grips with 3D (I understand that's possibly impossible to answer!)?

If I purchase something like this:
http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=boi&x=-1196&y=-43

To give me the basics ... I imagine, this would be far easier than trying to 'create' a figure from scratch?

If so, how easy to then 'change a pose' and create another png format image?

I will attach below a very quick PhotoShop mockup of the kind of thing I want to acheive in various poses (complete with cape, shades and graphic on chest!). Is this acheivable without years of training.

I apologise in advance for so many newbie questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497
    edited December 1969

hello,

chris said:

Hi Folks
    Will the app run on an old Mac (OSX 10.4.11)?

Mac™ OS X 10.5 or above.
    I guess you need to find DAZ Studio 3 to run on OS X 10.4

chris said:

How steep a learning curve to get to grips with 3D (I understand that's possibly impossible to answer!)?

To be honest, installing content at the right place and to find it when you want to use it was the hardest part, when you step that step in the ladder, most things will be clearer. Secondly, going from "looking ok" to "looking great" is a long process, having a graphic eye and some photography experience helps a lot.

chris said:

Looks like something that can be used for the kind of image you posted.

To give me the basics ... I imagine, this would be far easier than trying to 'create' a figure from scratch?

100% Agree, DAZ Studio is not a modeler in the first place, it's an application where you use pre-created objects and figures to build a scene or an animation.

If so, how easy to then 'change a pose' and create another png format image?

DAZ Studio is about posing, you can either use sliders, or just drag the hand, move the leg, then, as always, making great looking poses is always takes a little time.

I hope this helped.

• chris-2233891chris-2233891 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    I hope this helped.

It did indeed!

Many thanks for taking the time to answer so fully Totte! :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2013

Hi, Chris, and welcome! :)

The system requirements for DAZ Studio are here: http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-tech-specs
    It appears to require OS X 10.5 or later...

I do think DAZ Studio would be a good choice for you based on your stated goals, and the Blank Boi product you've identified is exactly what I'd recommend. I haven't used Blank Boi myself, but based on what I know about him, and on my experiences with various other figures, it would be easy to change poses (very simple to change between preset poses, and fairly easy to make your own original poses). Each time you get a pose you like, you can easily render the posed figure to png.

Yes...it would be far easier to use Blank Boi (even if you have to create original poses and textures for him--that's also very doable) than to make your own original figure from scratch. If you are interested in making your own figure, this would be a good place to start: http://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro plus you'd need a modeling program like Hexagon. To be honest, this is not something I'd recommend attempting until you're more familiar with 3D figures, though it's certainly possible to do it.

The learning curve can certainly be challenging because there's so many aspects to 3D...but considering that what you hope to accomplish doesn't sound too complicated (relatively speaking), it shouldn't be too difficult to start achieving your goal. And the forum can be a great resource if and when you get stuck

Edited to add: No need to apologize...newbie questions are always welcome! :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Hi, Chris, and welcome! :)

Many thanks indeed, and thanks for the detailed reply.

That tutorial looks a great starting place, and of course, I'll be asking plenty of really dumb questions once I get started! :)

edited December 1969

Just one more quick question if I may...

Totte said:

If I can find a copy of Daz Studio 3 and download this onto the Mac ... if I then buy a ready-made model from the store, would I still be able to open and modify the file in that version?

Also, is it possible to save 4.0 version files that will open on version 3.0?

If not, I can always download onto my Windows7 laptop, but I'd prefer the larger screen on my Mac! :)

edited December 1969

chris said:
    Just one more quick question if I may...

Totte said:

If I can find a copy of Daz Studio 3 and download this onto the Mac ... if I then buy a ready-made model from the store, would I still be able to open and modify the file in that version?

Yes, as long as it says DS 3 and not DS 4 in the info.
    I know DS3A (advanced) was free with some different 3D magazines a while ago.

Also, is it possible to save 4.0 version files that will open on version 3.0?

There is, but that is really not recommended, the old .daz-format) is really yucky ;)
    As long as you work in 3.0 there is no need.

If not, I can always download onto my Windows7 laptop, but I'd prefer the larger screen on my Mac! :)
    That is your other, but not as tasteful option ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks again Totte ... I'll see if I can find version 3.0 for Mac, then I'll be back with lots more questions!

edited December 1969

Today's update:

I managed to find and download a version of 3.1.1.73 which was fine for my version of OSX.

I ran the installer, and all seemed fine until I booted the application.

I'm now getting the "Enter Serial Number" dialog, and of course I don't have a serial number!

I then tried "Click Here to Register Online" in the hope I could get a temporary serial number for a 30-day trial, but then received "404 Not Found" with a "Submit a Bug" option.

:-S

Very strange as the downloaded I located indicated it was totally 'Free' and no serial number or purchase was necessary?

Any suggestions as to where I could locate a version of 3.1.1.73 that doesn't need a serial code?

Thanks

edited December 1969

@chris: Looking into that.. hang on...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

With DS3 there are only a couple of places where it is possible to download a completely legal version of the software. Mostly these are the sites of reputable Online 3D magazines, but off hand I can't remember which ones.

The best way to make sure you have a legal copy is to file a support ticket, using Zendesk. They are usually very helpful, and if you explain your situation to them they may well help you by adding a copy of DS 3 to your Itemised History and providing a serial number for it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The best way to make sure you have a legal copy is to file a support ticket, using Zendesk.

Good idea, it's certainly worth a shot. I'll open a ticket now and see if they can assist. Many thanks!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The best way to make sure you have a legal copy is to file a support ticket, using Zendesk.

Fantastic support! I opened a ticket and they responded instantly with a link to a download, and a valid serial number.

Top marks!

edited December 1969

chris said:
    chohole said:

Fantastic support! I opened a ticket and they responded instantly with a link to a download, and a valid serial number.

Top marks!

Agree, and there's a thread for that ;-) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17334/

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Agree, and there's a thread for that ;-) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17334/

already posted ;)