Colt 1911 Pistol Freebie

BryonSpellerBryonSpeller Posts: 0
edited March 2013 in Freebies

Colt 1911 Pistol - OBJ model - Free to use for commercial and non-commercial renders.- No credit required.
Created by Bryon Speller March 2013

----

3000x3000 Diffuse, Normal, Specular, Ambient Occlusion, and Displacement maps/textures included. Also included the UV mapping template so you can make your own textures. (Size model + maps = 6MB).
You should be able to import the model into DAZ 3D accepting all the defaults. (It is an OBJ file so you have to import it not open it).

Tip: Before rendering (in DAZ 3D) make sure that the "Lightning Model" is not set to Plastic or it will look like the big pistol in the presentation image. I did not realize that the Lighting Model was set to plastic until I was building the presentation image in Photoshop, by then I was too lazy to re-render :) but that is why the large pistol looks more glossy and plastic-like. You can fix this by setting the Lightning Model to Metallic or Glossy metallic.

Get the files here (Zip file)

Enjoy.

Post edited by BryonSpeller on

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited March 2013

OOOOOOO!!!! One of my favs of all time :) :) :)

Any chance you'll ever tackle a Colt Double Eagle? :) :)

You know, it just dawned on me that this design is 102 years old!!!! Wow, talk about staying power!

Post edited by wancow on
  • BryonSpellerBryonSpeller Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ wancow :Hmm give me a few weeks and I can try to make one :)

edited December 1969

Oh, Byron, that would be flipping awesome! I used to have a 10mm Double Eagle. My favorite piece ever! It's basically a 1911 made to be double action, but with a bigger trigger guard and slightly different grips (due to the mechanism on the outside of the piece)...

I just was playing with your 1911. Extraordinary work.

It comes down as an OBJ/MTL with textures (including a Normal Map which RAWKS)... I placed it all under Runtime/Textures and imported from there. Pretty easy way of doing things, by the way... IMHO... :)

Someone's gonna have fun giving Lara Croft a pair of these :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

This one is too nice to do it to...so don't use my presets on it!

plasticcolt.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 53K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Wancow. I am pretty sure I can make a Double Eagle. A lot of the designs looks a lot like the 1911. the 1911 is my Favorite firearm. I was going to create a few weapon freebies since I am practicing some high-poly weapon modeling anyway. Better share them than just store them on my external drive and forget about them :)

Mjc1016: lol did you "Grinch" my gun? The 1911 could maybe be cool for the plastic soldiers you had on another post.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It's nicer than the one I did use in the one promo pic...

But, unless it's going to be a close-up/main feature, I'd probably not use it, as it is too detailed to be the 'standard' plastic soldier sidearm.

You do need a good holster to go with it, now...

edited December 1969

Hey Wancow,

I worked a bit on the Pistol you requested. Its still a WIP and I need to get some better ref images, but I should be able to finish it this weekend. (Need to do some changes to the shapes when i find better images. Had to guess (Use the 1911 shapes as reference for some of it).

Bryon

CDE_WIP.jpg
    600 x 387 - 59K
  • SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

Can't wait to get home and download this beauty, Love the Colt 1911 of all the guns I own in real life, this one is on my to buy list, until I saw this and now I actually found a pistol I want more than the 1911 http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/double-barrel-1911-a.jpg

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Skelch said:
    Can't wait to get home and download this beauty, Love the Colt 1911 of all the guns I own in real life, this one is on my to buy list, until I saw this and now I actually found a pistol I want more than the 1911 http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/double-barrel-1911-a.jpg

That looks like a little too much gun. I don't want to think about firing a double barrell .45.

Thanks to the OP for the gun. Looks good.

ncamp

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for sharing the Colt 1911, Byron :cheese:

edited December 1969

Skelch said:

Man that double-barrel is an awesome weapon, and thanks.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for sharing the Colt 1911, Byron :cheese:

You are welcome. I am working on getting better at modeling high poly models so I was thinking I would post the models here and members can do what they want. Feel free to modify them etc.

edited December 1969

And FYI I am working on some better textures. Had to make some fast to upload it here before moving on to other projects, but I will go back and make some better textures.

edited December 1969

Hey Wancow,

I worked a bit on the Pistol you requested. Its still a WIP and I need to get some better ref images, but I should be able to finish it this weekend. (Need to do some changes to the shapes when i find better images. Had to guess (Use the 1911 shapes as reference for some of it).

Bryon

That looks flipping awesome! Yah, 1911 shape is the base of the piece. In fact, the frame is pretty much identical... save for the trigger guard and a couple of other items...

Awesome!

edited December 1969

Latest WIP(s) (Low Res Images)
    Need to texture them and add a bit of detail.

WIP2.JPG
    1058 x 695 - 57K
    edited December 1969

Looking fantastic!! I mean REALLY fantastic!

edited March 2013

OK here it is

Colt Double Eagle and MP5

I have been playing around with the auto UV feature of 3D Coat, so I also added an MP5 model textured in 3D Coat.

The textures generated automatically by 3D Coat are a "mess" but if you only use 3D Coat (and Photoshop) for the whole process then you can texture your models really fast. For large scenes I was thinking of using the auto UV-ing for non important props and then UV the rest manually.

Anyhow here are the two Freebies:

Enjoy

CDE_Images.png
    800 x 641 - 2M
    MP5_Images.png
    800 x 650 - 2M
    Post edited by BryonSpeller on
    edited December 1969

Two reasons I envy you. 1 is that you're able to produce this brilliant work... the second is that I've been drooling over 3DCoat for about a month. I inquired about it at CGTalk, and it got this ringing endorsement that I didn't anticipate.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1098697

In any event, THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!! U RAWK!!!!!

edited December 1969

Thanks Wancow.

1st: I think your work is pretty darn good, both in DA and CG Share.

2nd: 3D Coat is a really nice product and the developers are really friendly and always willing to help out if you need anything.

If 3D Coat is not in your budget right now then I would get Sculptris (free). Sculptris may not be as versatile as 3d Coat or ZBrush but it is really easy and fun to use. I have played around with it and Daz, exporting a Genesis model from Daz and sculpting more detail in Sculptris. It works great.

Have a good day.

Bryon

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

You know, it just dawned on me that this design is 102 years old!!!! Wow, talk about staying power!

Oddly enough, it was originally designed for its stopping power, not its staying power. [grin]

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    wancow said:

Oddly enough, it was originally designed for its stopping power, not its staying power. [grin]

LOL (and it's rather hard to get me to LOL)

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Thanks. That is great.
    R