The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

Random winners:at the end of each week(Saturday) one random entry will win Any 1 model from the Stonemason catalogue(random winners will still be eligible for all other prizes),these prizes are given on the basis of participation.

This has been MIA for the past two weeks. What happened to random winners?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

They were randomly missed. ;)

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Second entry, title "Into the storm"
    Software used: DAZ Studio
    Stonemason products used:

Level 19, http://www.daz3d.com/level-19
    SkyRider, http://www.daz3d.com/skyrider
    Regenerator, http://www.daz3d.com/regenerator
    Sci-Fi Crates 'n Containers, http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-crates-n-containers
    Cylinder001 freebie
    Holding Chamber freebie
    Heavy cable freebie

into_the_storm_1500x1001.jpg
    1500 x 1001 - 1M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Woe is me; I have been DAZ-ing for years for personal enjoyment and self-teaching of 3D Art, but when I saw this contest, I just knew I had to try something public. I have been drooling over Stonemason's works for years, picking up one every now and then when I could afford it. I had to try...

I was "in the zone", I was hyped, I was ready to enter the world of competitive artwork...

I picked my elements carefully, I worked on the positioning, the color, the ratio of foreground to background... I even delved into depth of field issues. I bled through the lighting, I sweat through posing, I cried through post-work!
    "I could'a been a contender!"

My computer disagrees...

My computer doesn't feel up to the task; for the first time ever with Studio, I received video card issues, lack of memory, and just plain lock-up. It was so frustrating. I have a powerful setup here, not top-of-the-line, at least, not anymore, but a good solid graphics PC. I can play all but the very latest (2013) PC games without glitch, I can open more than a dozen windows and not worry about crash, but my baby has just gotten old, poor girl...

...I know the feeling all too well.

The "new kid" is finally over her teething pains, but alas too late as I still need to install everything and set up the runtimes before I can render the first scene.

...so instead, I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Woe is me; I have been DAZ-ing for years for personal enjoyment and self-teaching of 3D Art, but when I saw this contest, I just knew I had to try something public. I have been drooling over Stonemason's works for years, picking up one every now and then when I could afford it. I had to try...

I was "in the zone", I was hyped, I was ready to enter the world of competitive artwork...

I picked my elements carefully, I worked on the positioning, the color, the ratio of foreground to background... I even delved into depth of field issues. I bled through the lighting, I sweat through posing, I cried through post-work!
    "I could'a been a contender!"

My computer disagrees...

My computer doesn't feel up to the task; for the first time ever with Studio, I received video card issues, lack of memory, and just plain lock-up. It was so frustrating. I have a powerful setup here, not top-of-the-line, at least, not anymore, but a good solid graphics PC. I can play all but the very latest (2013) PC games without glitch, I can open more than a dozen windows and not worry about crash, but my baby has just gotten old, poor girl...

...I know the feeling all too well.

The "new kid" is finally over her teething pains, but alas too late as I still need to install everything and set up the runtimes before I can render the first scene.

...so instead, I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

I too understand your frustrations...especially considering I am on a MAC. I have found that with the new DIM things are working much better. But this is also because I removed all of my 3rd party content and have not installed any of it back in yet.

It has definitely been worth the journey so far. I am having so much fun creating stuff with DAZ.

edited March 2013

...there are a lot of things Daz just doesn't offer which is why I depend on content from other sources. For one I am into the near future Cyber theme and there are just not enough sets/props/clothing available here that fit the genre.

Stonemason's "contemporary" urban sets (as well as Urban Future 4 Street Level) are a standout as they can and do work very well with the theme and can easily be combined with sets/elements from other vendors.

Because of this, I have yet to even install, not much less use, the DIM even with the daunting task of setting up the new system as I am building custom runtimes since I also will be using the 64 bit versions of PoserPro 2012, Carrara, Blender, and MarvelousDesigner 2, as well as Studio 3Advanced (for plugins that have not or will not be updated for 4.5).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...there are a lot of things Daz just doesn't offer which is why I depend on content from other sources. For one I am into the near future Cyber theme and there are just not enough sets/props/clothing available here that fit the genre.

Stonemason's "contemporary" urban sets (as well as Urban Future 4 Street Level) are a standout as they can and do work very well with the theme and can easily be combined with sets/elements from other vendors.

Because of this, I have yet to even install, not much less use, the DIM even with the daunting task of setting up the new system as I am building custom runtimes since I also will be using the 64 bit versions of PoserPro 2012, Carrara, Blender, and MarvelousDesigner 2, as well as Studio 3Advanced (for plugins that have not or will not be updated for 4.5).

I find DIM very useful for this sort of purpose, as it's really easy to filter by application.

edited March 2013

...but it won't work with my content library purchased at places like Rendo and RDNA as well as freebies from various sites, all of which is fairly sizable.

My past experience with Daz installers has admittedly soured me on their automated processes which is why I am pleased they are finally moving to .zip files.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...but it won't work with my content library purchased at places like Rendo and RDNA as well as freebies from various sites, all of which is fairly sizable.

My past experience with Daz installers has admittedly soured me on their automated processes which is why I am pleased they are finally moving to .zip files.

At the risk of derailing an awesome thread of beauty, I should note that I totally used DIM to install _OVER_ my existing content library, and it didn't cause me any problems. The software warns about it, and I thought long and hard about it, but it worked for me. If you have good backups (and hey who doesn't, right? ;) ) then it's worth trying to use DIM on top of your existing content. The updates alone have been amazingly helpful.

Of course I also did a lot of my downloading from work on a Very Fast Pipe. (1680 DAZ items installed so far...) And I use Dropbox to synchronize all my machines content libraries...

-- Morgan

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

This is a non-entry, since the contest requires posting images to this thread only, and I will never upload an image to the DAZ forums. But the environment and mech enforcer are Stonemason products:

That Way

• John MalisJohn Malis Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Title: End of the Shift

Software used: Poser Pro 2012 and Corel PhotoPaint X3

Stonemason product used: Urban Sprawl

EndOfTheShift.jpg
    1220 x 934 - 797K
  • edited December 1969

Second Entry

Title: Reporting As Ordered
    Software Used: Daz 4.5 Postwork Photoshop CS5.1
    Stonemason product used: Fairytale Collection -- Tower Interior

Reporting_As_Ordered.jpg
    1080 x 1397 - 261K
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

My second entry

Title "Wastelands"

Stonemason product used "The backstreets", with genesis and a few of my models.
    Set up in DS4.5. Rendered in Luxrender with postwork being sharpen and contrast filter.

I also ran this thru a toon/comic filter and liked the results also, will post that one after the contest.

wasteland.jpg
    1531 x 910 - 977K
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

My second entry

Title "Wastelands"

Stonemason product used "The backstreets", with genesis and a few of my models.
    Set up in DS4.5. Rendered in Luxrender with postwork being sharpen and contrast filter.

I also ran this thru a toon/comic filter and liked the results also, will post that one after the contest.

Nice image, I like the sand concept.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    This is a non-entry, since the contest requires posting images to this thread only, and I will never upload an image to the DAZ forums. But the environment and mech enforcer are Stonemason products:

That Way

..very nice. I like the rain and light effects

I hear you about images posted in the forums here. There seems to be an odd sort of compression that, even when viewed at full size, which messes with the contrast and colours. I 'll look at something I posted here and say "yecch, that looks like crap," then look at the original .jpg in my pics folder or on DA, and everything is fine.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

So I was not the only one to post none entry stuff interesting...

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

...yep, though all of mine were via links to my DA gallery (even "fixed" the one I accidentally posted in the thread).

• vivayovivayo Posts: 52
    edited March 2013

Hi all, still time for a second enrtry:

Title: Calm before the storm

Stonemason products used : Urban Ruins: vehicles and Urban Ruins Building 1 (although only a tiny part of a wall can be seen in the render)

Rendered with DAZ Studio 4.5 with some postwork done with Photoshop

calma3.jpg
    1000 x 700 - 472K
    Post edited by vivayo on
  • AquilaAquila Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

My second entry

Title: Deep Under the Ocean - No one can hear you Scream
    Software: Carrara 8 Pro - postwork in Photoshop
    Stonemason Product used: The Dark Star

No-one-can-here-you-scream.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 969K
  • fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Aquila77 said:
    My second entry

this is just WOW!!!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

fayrie said:
    Aquila77 said:
    My second entry

this is just WOW!!! It is isn't...really WOW. Nicely done Aquila

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Aquila77 said:
    My second entry

The water is excellent, well done :)

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited March 2013

Second Entry
    THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE

Stonemason Products used:
    Greeble City Blocks 2
    Tribal Village Huts
    Freebie Sky Traffic

Other products:
    Genesis w/ Evolution morphs
    PDXJims Fantasy Loin cloth fitted and tweaked for Genesis
    V3 Updo

Software: DAZ 4.0, Photoshop for Postwork

Stonemasoncontestcitywtrmk.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 897K
    Post edited by Servant on
  • AquilaAquila Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Thanks fayrie, Szark, Laticis for you kind words.

Took some doing to get it to look how I wanted it to. :)

• RNR_DV8RNR_DV8 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

2nd Entry

Fembot! Help?!
    DS 4.5, Maya, PSE
    The Tin Can

FembotHelp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • edited December 1969

Count me in!

The Hunter
    Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop and Filter Forge for postwork.
    Stonemason products: City Ruins 1 and 2

TheHunter.jpg
    1066 x 1500 - 956K
  • SaikoMMSaikoMM Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My second entry.

Operation Commencing

Stonemason item: Urban Sprawl 2

Models by 81 Army Soul

Set up in Daz, rendered in Lux/Reality. Post work CS5

contest.jpg
    1875 x 1268 - 509K