Reordered Forum Posts (Newest to Oldest)

RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
edited February 2015 in The Commons

{removed by author}

Post edited by RoLoW on

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

If they'd just bought a vbulletin forum like all the sites who want a reliable forum do, you'd be able to sort the entire site however you like.

But with this crap forum we have to suffer with this and a whole lot worse.

Woof.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

This is something DAZ is aware of, and as far as I know is hoping to fix. However, it isn't at the top of the pile fopr obvious reasons (even if things generally do now seem to be improving).

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

This is something DAZ is aware of, and as far as I know is hoping to fix. However, it isn't at the top of the pile fopr obvious reasons (even if things generally do now seem to be improving).

Honestly, I think the problem is in their determination to have one log-in for both the store and forum.

I'd suggest having a vbulletin or even a free smf forum, as their forum with a separate log-in from the store. That would even improve store security as you could stay logged in to the forum and walk away from your 'puter with no fear of somebody jumping on the site and accessing your payment info and account.

They could even install a free smf forum in 5 minutes as a test. Let it run side by side with this one. See which gets used more, and go with the better for business (more traffic) forum.

Or not...

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Or they could just get rid of the forums altogether, then we could actually do some rende ....What the hell, whats happening to me, I'm melting....arrrrgggghhhh.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited June 2012

The problem for newest to oldest ordering is that it doesn't show you context. You get the conclusions first, and only later the questions and information that led to them. Imagine watching a quiz show or a murder mystery in reverse!

Now I can see an argument for having the option available (and my preferred option would be for full threading/sub-threading), but it would certainly be the last option I wanted as the default.

Where latest information is important, such as the state of forum problems and the like, DAZ are already pretty good at updating the first post of a thread to make sure it is immediately available.

IOW, I don't think it's broken, so lets not fix it ;)

Post edited by DWG on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Expression Engine is very flexible, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it the way one wants it. I don't think that DAZ has "configuring the forum software" at the top of the TODO list.

Kendall

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

I like first-to-last threads, myself, but what bugs me about these fora is the thread order! It doesn't matter if I update a project thread thrice an hour anymore: if there are twenty or so threads started since I began it, I am still shuffled off to page two, or three, four, eight, or what-have-ya. Sequence each forum page by the order of the posts, like it was in the old fora and still is in almost EVERY other message board on the web!

• mail_68642bcfddmail_68642bcfdd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ahh okay, it's not me then :P
    I though my browser or something did screw up but it's the forum itself. This here is indeed very hard to read and find things. You might think that a new forum (and new site/store) would have been (beta) tested first before going Live. ;)

• RabeRabe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As far as I know, phpBB for example - the software used in the old forum - can be bridged to other software, so it would be possible to use one log-in.

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
    edited February 2015

{removed by author}

Post edited by RoLoW on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

rolow said:
    There are several reasons, most of which is when I start to review a posted topic, it would be nice to know right away where the issue has evolved to (without having to find the end).

Hmm... I read forwards. It would be nice to know what the sense of the thread is — I find it difficult to follow a discussion in a forum with back-to-front post ordering. Is it really easier for you to read a post top to bottom, then scroll up to the following reply post, read down, scroll up, etc.? I literally cannot read forums where that is the only display option. They make no sense to me, and I can't follow lengthy back-and-forth discussions.

Perhaps it's because of my online history: I'm not quite one of the real old-timers, but I was active before the September That Never Ended, so some forum habits that have developed over recent years (e.g. top posting, or weird quoting styles, or not quoting at all) have been hard to get used to. The old DAZ forums were pretty much right, IMHO — easy to follow, easy to read, easy to use. If we can get the new post and thread display working close to that again, I'll be satisfied.
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Honestly, I think the problem is in their determination to have one log-in for both the store and forum.

Well this is not working for me. I'm logged into the store but not the forums or vice versa. I've been having to log in separately to both for a while now.

I'm a member of a website with a vbulletin forum attached. When you log into the website you also are logged into the forums. Other than getting hacked recently I don't think they have any problems.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

rolow said:
    There are several reasons, most of which is when I start to review a posted topic, it would be nice to know right away where the issue has evolved to (without having to find the end).

Hmm... I read forwards. It would be nice to know what the sense of the thread is — I find it difficult to follow a discussion in a forum with back-to-front post ordering. Is it really easier for you to read a post top to bottom, then scroll up to the following reply post, read down, scroll up, etc.? I literally cannot read forums where that is the only display option. They make no sense to me, and I can't follow lengthy back-and-forth discussions.

Perhaps it's because of my online history: I'm not quite one of the real old-timers, but I was active before the September That Never Ended, so some forum habits that have developed over recent years (e.g. top posting, or weird quoting styles, or not quoting at all) have been hard to get used to. The old DAZ forums were pretty much right, IMHO — easy to follow, easy to read, easy to use. If we can get the new post and thread display working close to that again, I'll be satisfied.

Heh

I, too, was active before that September That Never Ended. I got in through Portal and mostly just read. I was also on QLink which was the precursor for AOL, not on the net, and for the C64 only.. Our month was January when the kids who got a QLink account would get on and disrupt everything for hours and hours but be gone in February after their parents got the first bill. $6/hr adds up quickly. (My first month's bill for PeopleLink, for example, was $450.

The old forum sort order is a default in the EE configuration I discovered. When these forums first opened the newest topics were at the end. DAZ had the EE people change the order so now the newest topics are first. They goofed. There's a third option which is to have the topic with the latest post first.

Sigh.