Project EYEris - New DAZ Studio Shader and Preset Package *OUT NOW* [Commercial]

DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
edited March 2013 in The Commons

Now available as part of March Madness 2013!
http://www.daz3d.com/project-eyeris/

The focus of Project EYEris has been big steps forward towards realistic eyes in DAZ Studio, providing raytraced solutions to create detail un-achievable with transmaps or reflection maps. Containing a brand new shader for DAZ Studio, Project EYEris gives you a new way to approach all surfaces with unique effects like tone curved reflections and specular flaring.

This shader comes to you in the form of an injection preset that will work on all existing eye surfaces, or from a large library of presets using the included high detail texture maps. 24 different full eye presets (8 human, 8 monster and 8 bionic) finish everything for you, while 30 individual scleras and 30 separate irises allow you to alter the results. Also included are 5 tear and 5 lacrimal presets to further refine your looks while reflection presets modify special effects.

For more information please refer to the shader documentation...

http://3dimensiondigital.com/locker/projeyeris/EYErisShaderDocumentation.pdf

Project EYEris:

Brand New DAZ Studio Shader:
Controllable specular flare effect adds 8 more specular per light in a star burst pattern
Tone curved reflections allow greater control of reflective highlights
New simplified bump-displacement method allows for detail stacking (bumps on bumps)

Injection Preset:
Single preset applies straight to your character's existing eyes
Adds new features like specular flare and curved reflections to old characters with a single preset

4 New Eye Morphs courtesy of Age of Armour:
EYEris Iris Depth
EYEris Pupil Depth
EYEris Pupil Soften 1
EYEris Pupil Soften 2

EYEris Material Database:
24 full eye presets (eye-tear-lacrimal):
8 Human
8 Monster
8 Bionic

30 Sclera only materials
30 Iris only materials
05 Tear materials and 5 Lacrimal materials
27 Reflection modifiers for any material

Textures:
10 Texture Maps (2048 x 2048)
64 Texture, Transparency, Bump and Displacement Maps (4096 x 4096)

DAZ Studio Material Presets (.DUF)

Post edited by DimensionTheory on

Comments

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Here are some more renders of included presets

EYErisPopup11.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 316K
    EYErisPopup9.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 529K
    EYErisPopup7.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 461K
    EYErisPopup4.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 208K
    EYErisPopup2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 200K
    edited December 1969

And some artistic renders :)

EYErisPopup10.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 229K
    EYErisPopup8.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 204K
    EYErisPopup6.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 171K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,495
    edited December 1969

Looking super!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

This looks really great!

I'm especially interested in its functionality with existing eye textures. I have a big collection of eyes on the V4M4 UVs, including a lot of fantasy and beast eyes that I really like. Are the shaders set up so that they can be applied over these?

edited March 2013

Thank you!

Yes, the shader can be applied over the eye presets you have like you mentioned. At it's core there are two versions of the shader... A "Base" version that loads up blank white like in the documentation, and an "Injection" version that only modifies the shader to add special effects (in my injection promo all I did was apply this to V5, M5, S5 and H5). This is along with presets using my included textures.

Something I should note is that the injection presets can't reach the same level of fine tuning as the included textured presets. The textures I've made have been calibrated to work together with the shader, when trying to make something that works with EVERYONE'S textures I had to be a bit more universal with settings. So the full presets will look better in general for the most part.

I'm going to modify the first post to add my "What's Included" list now.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

Yes, the shader can be applied over the eye presets you have like you mentioned. At it's core there are two versions of the shader... A "Base" version that loads up blank white like in the documentation, and an "Injection" version that only modifies the shader to add special effects (in my injection promo all I did was apply this to V5, M5, S5 and H5). This is along with presets using my included textures.

Something I should note is that the injection presets can't reach the same level of fine tuning as the included textured presets. The textures I've made have been calibrated to work together with the shader, when trying to make something that works with EVERYONE'S textures I had to be a bit more universal with settings. So the full presets will look better in general for the most part.

I'm going to modify the first post to add my "What's Included" list now.

That being the case, you might consider an add-on with more beast/alien/fantasy eyes - the violet irises are nice but the lack of a "vampire crimson," "lion yellow" and "wolf white" feels significant.

I'm still buying it the second it's out, because it's gorgeous. I'm just saying, I'd buy the heck out of an optimized genre-friendly add-on, because I'm not going to use the "bionic" looks much. I'll bet this is true of others as well, and that your sf fans may well overlap with the fantasy fans and buy it, too.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

...okay just give me what you have now, looks good. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Is the displacement detail slider to blend between two displacement maps? If so, that's just excellent [and you (and every other shader creator {including DAZ}) should, just saying, add the ability to do this with diffuse maps]. ;)

edited March 2013

That being the case, you might consider an add-on with more beast/alien/fantasy eyes - the violet irises are nice but the lack of a "vampire crimson," "lion yellow" and "wolf white" feels significant.

I'm still buying it the second it's out, because it's gorgeous. I'm just saying, I'd buy the heck out of an optimized genre-friendly add-on, because I'm not going to use the "bionic" looks much. I'll bet this is true of others as well, and that your sf fans may well overlap with the fantasy fans and buy it, too.

Thank you! An add-on would not be difficult though I hadn't thought too much about it, mainly because I was unsure what the demand would be. Also it's not really that the textures for existing eyes don't work well with the shader, it's that they don't work well with the idea of injecting. It's an issue I ran into with Interjection as well, I can't make the preset load other peoples' textures while keeping it universal. The shader documentation PDF had good information on how textures are used though though, which you can translate to other textures and get past the restrictions injecting has.

Is the displacement detail slider to blend between two displacement maps? If so, that's just excellent [and you (and every other shader creator {including DAZ}) should, just saying, add the ability to do this with diffuse maps]. ;)

Kind of, it's more like adding one displacement to the other rather than blending. It doesn't take away from the first displacement when adding the second, so essentially you're displacing your displacements when you use it :)

edited December 1969

The demand for products that make existing content better with a minimum of clicks is effectively infinite, I think. :-)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

WHOA.

These look brilliant!

Funny, a couple of us were just discussing DS eyes over at facebook, and then this turns up! LOL.

I'm with sickleyield too - i would absolutely plunk down my cash (when I have it) for add on's for sci fi eyes and fantasy type eyes. But this is going to be a MUST HAVE.

edited December 1969

Kind of, it's more like adding one displacement to the other rather than blending. It doesn't take away from the first displacement when adding the second, so essentially you're displacing your displacements when you use it :)

Ah, I see. So you can get effects like you would using displacement maps for larger details and a bump map for minor surface deviations, only full displacement. That's equally intriguing. I have to admit I love the bump-displacement switch as well, although it would be nice to have the option of a separate unaffected bump map with its own strength settings.

At the very least, give each map its own strength and min/max settings. The way it looks like it's behaving now, bump/displacement maps set up for different programs may not play nicely with each other, because DS default has mid grey as the 'zero' color, and Poser uses black.

edited March 2013

At the very least, give each map its own strength and min/max settings. The way it looks like it's behaving now, bump/displacement maps set up for different programs may not play nicely with each other, because DS default has mid grey as the 'zero' color, and Poser uses black.

This shader will treat displacement and bump from other programs the same as the default shader. Hi-detail (bump) and Lo-Detail (displace) have their own strength values, which will pull from the original preset. Min-Max can still be changed to accomdate Poser's handling of black for null, only difference is that bump and displacement Min-Max are now the same values.

edited December 1969

This shader will treat displacement and bump from other programs the same as the default shader. Hi-detail (bump) and Lo-Detail (displace) have their own strength values, which will pull from the original preset. Min-Max can still be changed to accomdate Poser's handling of black for null, only difference is that bump and displacement Min-Max are now the same values.
    That last part's the problem. What if someone wants to use a vein displacement that starts from black, and a small details displacement that starts from mid grey? It'll either swell the eyeball like crazy or shrink it down, absent a lot of fiddling which could be done away with by giving a separate min/max for each. :)

If it's still treating the hi-detail map as a bump, this will be slightly less of an issue, but there may still be quite noticeable problems and again, tons of fiddling. I nearly always need to adjust the min/max on bump and displacement and they're very rarely [never that I can recall] the same.

edited December 1969

That last part's the problem. What if someone wants to use a vein displacement that starts from black, and a small details displacement that starts from mid grey? It'll either swell the eyeball like crazy or shrink it down, absent a lot of fiddling which could be done away with by giving a separate min/max for each. :)

If it's still treating the hi-detail map as a bump, this will be slightly less of an issue, but there may still be quite noticeable problems and again, tons of fiddling. I nearly always need to adjust the min/max on bump and displacement and they're very rarely [never that I can recall] the same.

Are you doing that many eyeball extreme closeups normally?

edited December 1969

Are you doing that many eyeball extreme closeups normally?
    A: Enough.

B: This is a shader I would NOT only be using on eyeballs. :lol:

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wants it naow!

Funny thing I have been working for days on eyes and while I've made some headway this looks like it'll do all of what I've been trying to do and more.

So when will it be done? Tomorrow? Please?!?

(Impatient? Me? Now where ever did you get that idea?)

edited March 2013

Well I did my best. I'm not really sure how far out of my way I should go to make sure files created for Poser work with a product made for DAZ Studio, and as far as I know Poser is the only program to ever use black as base. I've not personally run into any displacement or bump maps made that way in a long time, any that are can be leveled quickly (set black level to 50% gray and you're done).

So when will it be done? Tomorrow? Please?!?

It's already done ;)

• WirenutWirenut Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Oh! Shiny!
    I wants it now!

edited March 2013

Well I did my best.
    Your best with limited information, perhaps...

It's already done ;)
    ...and so you're tied in to the broken functionality. I sympathize with that, but don't try to justify the shader as somehow making more sense this way than it would if it were actually able to be used with all relevant textures [as a shader should].

I'm not really sure how far out of my way I should go to make sure files created for Poser work with a product made for DAZ Studio,

Because you're advertising this as not just a standalone, but an addon to existing products, and because a tremendous number of textures use Poser-style bump mapping. Because this is something which could, and should, be universal. And because the change required would be relatively minor unless you threw away your shader code after compiling.

and as far as I know Poser is the only program to ever use black as base. I've not personally run into any displacement or bump maps made that way in a long time,

Every single one of the vein/brow displacement maps I can think of offhand uses black as the zero color. And they're the sort of thing which needs to be able to be mixed with bump maps from more than one character.

any that are can be leveled quickly (set black level to 50% gray and you're done).
    In an external image editor. There should be no need for fiddling and duplicate files when "Min=0" could easily have been set from within the shader.

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited December 1969

I'm very sorry you feel that way, you are more than welcome to use the default shader where mine falls short. For those who like what I've done and don't see issue with how I have things setup I hope this shader will be a fun tool to use in conjunction with others.

edited March 2013

Why should a product advertised as a DAZ shader set support Poser-style bump mapping? Yes, a tremendous number of textures use that black-as-zero system - because they were made for Poser. What are you buying in this store that uses that and says it's for DAZ Studio?

If I buy a product that says it's for DAZ Studio, I want it optimized for DAZ Studio. To ask otherwise is nonsensical.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

I'm very sorry you feel that way, you are more than welcome to use the default shader where mine falls short. For those who like what I've done and don't see issue with how I have things setup I hope this shader will be a fun tool to use in conjunction with others.

Unfortunately I'll have to. It's a shame because shaders and surfaces are the most exciting part of a 3D image to me, and those tonemapped reflections were something really unique, but if I'm going to wind up editing textures in order to use this, I'd rather incorporate that sort of look in postwork.

Best of luck!

edited March 2013

Why should a product advertised as a DAZ shader set support Poser-style bump mapping? Yes, a tremendous number of textures use that black-as-zero system - because they were made for Poser.
    Textures are generally made for surfaces, not specific programs, which is why 3D programs have settings for min/max to begin with, instead of a simple 'displacement amount.' Normally, different zero values don't cause any problems whatsoever. It's not a matter of "only for X program," it's a matter of "different textures are different."

If I buy a product that says it's for DAZ Studio, I want it optimized for DAZ Studio. To ask otherwise is nonsensical.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply I don't know what I'm talking about. That's nothing but a straw man argument. I'm not asking, and hadn't asked, for it to be optimized for another program. This isn't about not being able to read native Poser files, it's about being unable to efficiently utilize textures which work equally well in both programs.

Vein maps in particular tend to start with black as the zero value because they'll never displace inwardly to begin with and they can utilize the full tonal range that way. And that's the last I'll say on this in this thread as the creator has already voiced an opinion, and thus it's a subject now mostly irrelevant to the product. If you care to discuss this in another part of the forum I'm all for it.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Just been working on my own eye settings using Human Surface Shader. Decent results, but yours is fantastic. Will be buying immediately. I do wish the negativity would stop. This product will do what it does (and well, it seems), but should not be expected to be a be all/end all. No disrespect intended to anyone expressing their opinions, you are entitled. I haven't seen a cloth shader or metallics shader or any shader for that matter that works universally without some tweaking. If you have maps with black, maybe you can adjust the strength. Anyway, good job, DimensionTheory.

edited December 1969

Thank you, Slosh. You words are appreciated :)

It should be advised at this point that no one has actually used the shader aside from myself and DAZ QA, so any thoughts on how my particular shader performs are not formed from hands on usage. I've not personally run into any issues with this, either by finding the end results displeasing or feeling the need to edit maps. If anyone would like to see some renders of my shader used on things other than eyes let me know, it's main purpose is eye surfaces and that's what it is designed for but I have had fun using it on other materials with cool results.

edited December 1969

How about on some G-rated tentacles or other creature surfaces?

edited December 1969

Don't know if I have any tentacles but I've got plenty of creatures!

edited March 2013

any thoughts on how my particular shader performs are not formed from hands on usage.
    Correct. It's all been math and a general understanding of the subject thus far. I haven't touched the shader yet; if I came across as implying I had, I apologize.

If anyone would like to see some renders of my shader used on things other than eyes let me know, it's main purpose is eye surfaces and that's what it is designed for but I have had fun using it on other materials with cool results.

I'd love to see any other test renders you might have squirreled away. How about something along the lines of tiger eye? It seems like it could take advantage of the specular flare.
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

I approve this product.
    simple like that

edited March 2013

Thank you, Zilver!

Here are two renders for you all, the first one using my shader effects and the second one not. You can see the 8 additional highlights adding plenty of shimmer to the grass and spreading out over the creature skin, while the reflection curves are aiding in realistic shading on the mouth, teeth and eyes.

Please note that the shader's main purpose is for eye surfaces and this is more or less a conceptual render out of intended usage range.

DinoB.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 516K
    DinoA.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 561K