The Historical Closet Thread

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Welcome from me too Melanie. That supersuit looks worth getting. I think they missed a trick going overboard with the comic strip stuff.

Still trying to get my head round two emails from DAZ. One said I had unsubscribed to newsletters (while logged out and asleep) but the other gave me 9 months PC for free. Bug reports submitted.

Another day, another tile. This is more altar fabric but a different style. That's amazing getting a tile out of the Priddy photo. I've used the GIMP but not often as I only have it on the Linux box in my work office. Note to self - install it on PC.

Thanks for all the lovely tiles Baglet...

I wish they would offer me 9 months pc free.

• LeanderLeander Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Thank you for another beautiful tile Baglet! I do love brocade. And lucky you getting the offer of 9 months free PC... Must go check my emails just in case :)

No more renders from me this weekend though - hence the glut of them last night - off to a village fete in Somerset, so just praying it stops raining.

Leander

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Finished work early today so I've made a quilted tile. It's from a sleeve in a painting but I can't remember which one - I'd captured the image for something else. It seems to work anyway.

Hope the fete goes ok and the storms will have calmed down.

quilted.jpg
    490 x 553 - 115K
    Post edited by Baglet on
    edited December 1969

I shall be itching to get back home to play with that one. Good work, Baglet!

• RosemaryrRosemaryr Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Hey all!
    I wanted to thank Baglet for all the nifty textures! Very, very spiffy!

Also, wanted to to a WIP-drop of some upcoming freebies (should be done this next month or so...)
    More men's headgear: mostly Near Eastern stuff: turbans, fez(es), Arabic headscarves (keffeyah..?), Mongol/russian fur caps.

MoreCaps1.jpg
    806 x 701 - 84K
    edited June 2012

Those look great Rosemary. It's hard to get Arabian and N African things that aren't on the fantasy side. The turban will also double as some female renaissance headgear. I'll have to look up my photos from a very good Mongols exhibtion I went to in Hungary. The few that worked anyway.

I'm hoping to get MD soon but I'm not sure what the state of it is. Currently it's version 2 but I'm not sure when version 3 is coming out. I don't want to have to pay to upgrade soon after getting it. I tend to avoid their forums because of the small number of exhibitionist crazies who always want a fight.

Another tile from another church, found while I was indexing recent photos today. This one very Baroque.

Northiam.jpg
    292 x 304 - 68K
    Post edited by Baglet on
    edited December 1969

Such beautiful textures Baglet...you have your own folder in my textures library where I keep these so I can find them easily.

Rosemaryr, your headdresses look fantastic as usual.

Leander, hope you enjoyed your fete...

edited December 1969

One of the things I've been playing with over the wet and stormy weekend is a quilted displacement. This is the tile on the main material of the breeches from Esha's Musketeer. Tiled at 5 repeats in DS.

quiltedimg.jpg
    289 x 286 - 37K
    edited December 1969

Hi Baglet,

That looks good. Have you seen the quilt shaders by Zigraphix that are in the DAZ store? I'm on my way to work so don't have time to search for a link but they have a variety of quilting patterns and also different levels of displacement.

edited December 1969

Ah dear, I didn't get a message to say there were new posts! Baglet, yes, exactly, that's precisely the sort of thing your quilted tile will look so good on. I had a go at making displacement for it and haven't quite managed a satisfactory result yet, but I live in hope! Otherwise, yes, Pendraia, you're right, I may need to turn to the quilted presets in some of the other sets.

Sorry not to have any more renders just now. Work has been a bit crazy. Fortunately I can report that we managed to secure the only four hours of sunshine over the entire weekend for the village fete, which was a huge relief.

I wanted to draw your collective attention to this blog, which I've just added to my Google Reader feed. It's full of historical goodies and today there's a guest post by Lucy Worsley on Georgian costume, which I thought you might like :)

The rest of the blog is fun too:

http://madameguillotine.org.uk/2012/06/13/a-guest-post-on-georgian-court-dress-by-dr-lucy-worsley/

Leander

edited December 1969

That's an interesting article. I'd always though court fashion would be ahead of the everyday. It must have been torture to wear those things and breathe or move at the same time.

I got over-excited and thought I'd add it on to the wiki. Then I ended up distracted, working on the 15th century Europe page and doing renders for images. I probably ought to get more done on that one first. I've still got the hat renders to do and also need to do more textures for and publish my Balzo and Grillanda.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited June 2012

Thanks for the fabric tiles, Baglet.

Rosemaryr, very nice hats. Especially, the turbin. Are each of the colored segments a different pattern piece?

After seeing the Renaissance Male Clothing For Genesis, I wanted to make something similar for M4. So ... after a couple weeks, I finally completed it. The trunks are a bit more deflated than the Genesis version (his left hand is too close, so inflated, they were pressing against the ruffle on his left hand).

I enjoyed fun making the outfit, but shoes are a bit more challenging in MD2. Not that they can be seen in this image! The outfit includes Hosen, Trunks (with the panes only attached at the waist and legbands), doublet, sleeves (I ended up sewing them to the doublet after all though), neck ruff, sleeve ruffs, soft cap, handkerchief, and shoes.

Edited to remove over-sized images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

Ooopsie.

Here is a smaller version of it.

Sir-Oswyn_d3d.jpg
    600 x 800 - 371K
    Post edited by Satira Capriccio on
    edited December 1969

OOhhhh! Yummy green outfit! Nice job on the paned slops! Very Renaissance looking interior set, also. Very well executed.

Re: the turban. Yes, each different color represents a different pattern piece. That way it can be textured like two or three intertwined (inter-twisted?) cloths. Something like:
    http://gaskellblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/elizabeth-gaskells-cranford-turbans-in-victorian-fashion-madame-de-stael/

edited December 1969

After seeing the Renaissance Male Clothing For Genesis, I wanted to make something similar for M4. So ... after a couple weeks, I finally completed it. The trunks are a bit more deflated than the Genesis version (his left hand is too close, so inflated, they were pressing against the ruffle on his left hand).

It's far better than the Genesis one. The doublet looks like a doublet and with proper trunk-hose. The ruff (the Genesis one calls it a 'neck ring') looks like textile rather than board. The Genesis one was made in MD - you can tell from the UV maps.

edited June 2012

The Balzo and Grillanda headwear props for V4 are now at ShareCG.

Renaissance Headwear V4

Four mats for the Balzo, three for the Grillanda. Poser mc6 and DS mats.

balzogrillandaR.jpg
    321 x 267 - 33K
    Post edited by Baglet on
    edited December 1969

Awesome, Rosemaryr. I will need to check them out.

Thanks for the comments, Rosemaryr and Baglet.

The interior is Opus Magnum by Faveral. Unfortunately, I overwrote another scene with the same set where I'd added pillows and a blanket I'd created in MD2. At least I still have the cushions and blanket, but I'd spent sooo much time getting the lighting and reflection from the mirror just right. Well ... it will just have to go in the never was bin because I've too many things in my head to attempt to recreate a lost scene!

I keep trying to wrap my head around creating clothing in silo, but it just doesn't feel natural. Perhaps, if I had never sewn clothing in real life, it might be easier to create clothing with a modeling program. Then again, most of what I want to do can be done in MD2, and it just keeps getting better.

Baglet said:
    The Balzo and Grillanda headwear props for V4 are now at ShareCG.

Renaissance Headwear V4

Four mats for the Balzo, three for the Grillanda. Poser mc6 and DS mats.

edited December 1969

I enjoyed fun making the outfit, but shoes are a bit more challenging in MD2. Not that they can be seen in this image! The outfit includes Hosen, Trunks (with the panes only attached at the waist and legbands), doublet, sleeves (I ended up sewing them to the doublet after all though), neck ruff, sleeve ruffs, soft cap, handkerchief, and shoes.

Absolutely stunning, Satira. Is there any way yet that I can beg or pay you to convert this to something that can be used in DS4? Or are we still hamstrung by lack of technology? I love those trousers... Does the fact it was created in MD account for the crazy mapping on the Genesis version? I can't even create custom mat zones as it's all in triangles and there are no straight lines. :long:

Why am I not getting notifications on this thread? *sighs*

edited December 1969

I think the forum's notifications are a bit borked just now, Leander. As far as I've seen, you should just end up with one lump generic notice of "Someone has posted in the Discussion Forums" as your only clue that (one or more) thread you've participated in now has a new posting.

edited December 1969

That's sweet of you to explain, Rosemaryr - although I wasn't really expecting anyone to answer; it was more of a rhetorical beweeping of my outcast state, as I know there are still, shall we say, a few glitches. :-)

I forgot to say last time - Baglet, awesome Renaissance headgear! More goodies to play with; what fun.

Leander

edited December 1969

Does the fact it was created in MD account for the crazy mapping on the Genesis version? I can't even create custom mat zones as it's all in triangles and there are no straight lines. :long:

That's one of the problems with MD created objects at present. They are trying to come up with a way to make quads but clearly it is proving hard as they've been doing it for many, many months. It's much harder to generate quads automatically than it is triangles - so says my resident expert.

I was hopeful that the Genesis set could be improved with textures and assuming that the Genesis MFD expansion would fit onto males for better sleeve parts. But the UV maps don't look good, especially the top of the trunk hose. The whole set has very few material zones. You can improve of the UV maps that MD makes and create new zones with the free UV mapper so it's not impossible. Good thing it was only $1! I've never seen an item generate such complaints - see this thread .

edited December 1969

Thanks Leander.

It's may be more work, but I create separate fabric pieces which may result in friendlier UV mapping, since each material zone would then be easily mapped. I've attached some screenshots to show what I mean. Let me tell you, designing the sleeve pattern as strips instead of one pattern piece had me thinking I'm a wee bit crazy. (I also included a screenshot of Oswyn's shoes.)

I have opened the MD generated UV maps in the free UV mapper, but it's all rather greek to me. Which is one reason I use separate pattern pieces instead.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether this outfit would even be all that workable with Poser's clothing simulation. I actually do all the clothing simulation in MD2 and export the object already posed. I love being able to pin folds rather than watch in agonizing slow motion as a dress slides off V4's shoulders and puddles around her feet in the Poser cloth room.

As wonderful as technology is, it is just so dang frustrating it's also ends up being so limiting. When (see how optimistic I can be!) MD2 gets quads, I may try conforming this outfit.

Absolutely stunning, Satira. Is there any way yet that I can beg or pay you to convert this to something that can be used in DS4? Or are we still hamstrung by lack of technology? I love those trousers... Does the fact it was created in MD account for the crazy mapping on the Genesis version? I can't even create custom mat zones as it's all in triangles and there are no straight lines. :long:

Oswyn_Shoes.jpg
    481 x 424 - 20K
    Oswyn_Sleeve_Pattern.jpg
    587 x 773 - 117K
    Oswyn_Trunk.jpg
    595 x 682 - 41K
    Oswyn_Hosen.jpg
    415 x 736 - 21K
    edited December 1969

Why am I not getting notifications on this thread? *sighs*I would second this. Yours is much nicer than the free one from DAZ which has no material zones and all the detail is in the texture. I had actually been thinking of playing with it in Hex to add more details to it but yours would definitely be better.

A note on quads. When I was messing around in MD there was a way to convert them to quads...IIRC it was using blender, which makes my brain melt or Hexagon. Sorry, it was a while back and at the moment my head is full of real life...to much stuff happening at the moment.

Love all the things everyone has been working on...

edited December 1969

Satira Capriccio and Pendraia:
    there is an interesting work-around being discuss in the MD forum at about pages 46 and 47 here:
    http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/forum/Content.aspx?ForumNo=7&ThreadNo=48&Page=46

Essentially, you use interior lines (which have an effect on the triangle mesh) to lay out an overlay of quads, and then **UP** the Particle distance to an enourmous amount, say 700! (Instead of decreasing to a smaller setting making a finer mesh). This creates a very rough quad mesh which can be properly sub-d'd in another program and leave the quad structure intact.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Great stuff! I'm going to have to post randomly in here just to keep getting notifications, since I managed to lose the thread already.

Actually this isn't altogether random, since I find that I need a link to a freebie that I am pretty sure was referenced in the old forum.

I suddenly have need of a Phrygian cap. I seem to recall that someone made one and posted it on ShareCG or some such site. I think it was Poser Dynamic, which is why I didn't download it then, but I could probably use it as a prop, and fudge the appearance in the posing and angles used.

Does anyone remember this, or is my recollection a complete delusion? (Note: pointing me at a commercial product that includes one would certainly do, too.)

edited December 1969

JOdel said:

I suddenly have need of a Phrygian cap. I seem to recall that someone made one and posted it on ShareCG or some such site. I think it was Poser Dynamic, which is why I didn't download it then, but I could probably use it as a prop, and fudge the appearance in the posing and angles used.

Does anyone remember this, or is my recollection a complete delusion? (Note: pointing me at a commercial product that includes one would certainly do, too.)

Rosemary made them and they're here:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/51095/View/5/3D-Model/Phrygian-Caps-(French-Revolution-era)

edited December 1969

Thank you! I was pretty sure that it wasn't a dream. Now to see if I can make it work in Studio with Lucretia Locks Hair...

It promises to be an epic battle.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Thank you! I was pretty sure that it wasn't a dream. Now to see if I can make it work in Studio with Lucretia Locks Hair...

It promises to be an epic battle.

Do you have Netherworks Hat Head? It squashes down hair to fit hats with either magnets or Dformers.

edited December 1969

I do have it, but have never learned anything about using deformers or magnets. It certainly *sounds* like it would help.

I've moved to Melite Hair, which is a bit smoother over the top of the head, but still quite "full". Too full to fit under the cap easily.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I do have it, but have never learned anything about using deformers or magnets. It certainly *sounds* like it would help.

I've moved to Melite Hair, which is a bit smoother over the top of the head, but still quite "full". Too full to fit under the cap easily.

There's a simple PDF tutorial included that might get you started. I've found Netherworks tools really easy to use. You don't have to know much about magnets or Dformers as it's all set up.

edited December 1969

It looked like you do apparantly have to use Poser, though. I went hunting for it, and found it on the hard drive, but I use Studio exclusively, and couldn't find anything in that runtime that related to it apart from a couple of Python scripts--which Studio ignores.

Turned out I had a bad install. So will be trying again. Although why the installer didn't put the files in the runtime I pointed it at is a puzzlement.