NEW USERS'S CONTEST February 2013

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

New User's Contest - February 2013

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and David Brinnen & Horo

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Designing a landscape"

This month’s contest will take you trough all the steps needed to create a simple landscape environment to use in your 3D renders.

We are concentrating on using Bryce this month, as it is the program in the DAZ 3D stable of programs most often used for creating terrains and landscapes. Many of you will have downloaded it when it was free, and now we will help you get to grips with using it.

Intent: TO produce an environment that can be used as it is in Bryce or rendered out to use as a background image for use in Daz Studio or Poser.We will also talk about transferring it from Bryce to Daz Studio using the built in bridge.

Bryce is very simple to use to produce a simple terrain, but we will try and guide you through how to customise it and add other features so that you can produce a useful and useable background for your scene, and eventually maybe even a landscape that is complete in itself.

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need

David and Horo will also pop in from time to time to give you any hints and tips you may need..

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread :Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD. People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

"We would like to thank David Brinnen and Horowho have graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest" They will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s contest. To view some of David Brinnen and Horo items please see their store fronts here David Brinnen's Store & Horo's Store

Closing Date: February 28th 2013

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

reserved post

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The Island

Inspired in part by the paintings of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven as well as the "Thirty Thousand Islands" found in Georgian Bay, Ontario Canada.

beginners_2.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 74K
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited March 2013

The goal of this image was one of serenity. I wanted a lake to represent the flow of breath, stones to represent security and trees to represent life. Thus this contest using Bryce was ideally suited.

Problems encountered were mostly involving the positioning of items along the three axes. I found it very hard to work out exactly where an item was going to be.

Compared to the images I used to be capable of making in Bryce this one is miles ahead.

I hope you like it.

Title: Serenity

Contest9.jpg
    1689 x 1035 - 1M
    Post edited by frank0314 on
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

I call this a Curious Chapel.

The Chapel and Well are props from DAZ3D Studio 4.5

The rest of the scene is from Bryce7 Pro

I tried to give it a kind of misty, mysterious look, don't know if I achieved it or not. This only my second render in Bryce.

A_Curious_Chapel_A.jpg
    1114 x 765 - 268K
  • Jeanval LabJeanval Lab Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

This is my entry, "the green shore" :

new_user_contest_9.jpg
    850 x 424 - 285K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited February 2013

Here's my entry.

Snowy Mountain.

Snow_Scene2.jpg
    860 x 650 - 459K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Contest is now closed. Good luck everyone

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited March 2013

The winners are

1st- Serenity by BlumBlumShub
    2nd- Snowy Mountain by wilmap
    HM- The Green Shore by Jivhet

Congratulations to everyone. Will the 1st and 2nd place winner please PM me with their choice of one product from the David Brinnen & Horo. The mentoring CD from their store is unavailable to claim as a prize. In the PM please include your DAZ email account so that the prizes can be added to your DAZ account and a link to the product.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners and not forget the other people in the contest.
    Great work every one :-)

edited March 2013

Wow, thanks for choosing my entry. My 1st win albeit 2nd place.

Congratulations BlumBlumShub.:-)

Also well done Jivhet.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks guys, all that struggling with placement paid off!

Many thanks to David Brinnen, without whose tutorial videos my rocks would look like slimy blobs and my lighting would be more suitable to a sewer!

I didn't think I'd beat wilmap's entry because as well as being an excellent landscape that one has a helicopter in it, and everyone knows helicopters are cool. So I did a special late entry...

Title: Serenicopter.

Oddly, I still prefer wilmap's, I just couldn't get the shadows right on my copter.

LateEntry.jpg
    1689 x 1035 - 630K
    edited December 1969

Great helicopter.:-)

Lot more colourful than mine.

• Jeanval LabJeanval Lab Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners.

It was very motivating to participate to this contest.
    I have learned a lot of things about the skylab during the creation of my landscape.
    Next step for me : increase my understanding of the material lab.

edited December 1969

Jivhet said:
    Next step for me : increase my understanding of the material lab.

Yeah, that's certainly an interesting part of Bryce.