Optitex/Dynamic clothes freebies?

McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm a modeler and rarely use figures/clothes and since I've hardly been keeping up with anything concerning dynamic clothing, I have no idea what to make of this:

http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload01.php

14 pages of dynamic clothes materials/options/whatever... not sure if there is any actual clothes (or anything worthwhile) or these are just options/materials for existing outfits... I was looking into what exactly Optitex is and I found these... I did not have time to look into these beyond one or two pages, I don't own any Dynamic clothes (except for the ones I'm wearing)... I've never heard anyone mention this collection, so I thought I'd mention it here...

In the event this is common knowledge... well, sorry for wasting your time... then again, this thread will probably be lost forever in thread order limbo about a half hour (or less) after I click "submit post".

Hope this was of some use to someone.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Yes, those are mostly actual clothing items for use with the DAZ Studio system. Watch the installers (they are mostly in installers, not zips, unless that's been updated) as they create a Content folder in the destination folder, so you may need to move the files for them to work.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Yes those are actual dynamic cloths for use on V4 and M4 in DAZ studio. I have and have checked most all of them. I recommend them to anyone wanting to get in to studios dynamic clothing but want to check it before they drop loads of cash on dynamic clothing for studio.

They aren't specifically for genesis but can be made to work; at least in stills. My experience though was not good.

Pet peeve: At one time you could run the dynamics in studio then move them to carrara for staging. That was a year ago and I am still waiting for DAZ to fix this so I can get back too it.

Richard, not sure because I didn't check them all but it looks like they have went to zip wooot. :)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

All the Free items are in ZIP's and need proper install to work properly. They are all Clothing unless it states other wise. I have them all.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

are the DS dynamic clothes able to work nicely with the poser cloth room?

i saw someone asking about the M4 kimono. has anyone tried it in the poser cloth room?

thanks.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

are the DS dynamic clothes able to work nicely with the poser cloth room?

You can export them as an object and use them. They generally work fine unless there are multiple layers etc. Then they tend to get a bit fussy.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I thought the Optitex Daz dynamics and the Poser dynamics were a mutually exclusive set? I've used some of these. They also get confused when something like a sleeve intersects with the shirt it's attached to. Some body morphs (Bruuna by Roberto Melo) can really break some of these items. :lol: Otherwise, they can look pretty fine. There's also an Optitex dynamic sheet on sale here at Daz:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dynamic-sheets/

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Optitex clothing doesn't morph - if you have a figure that's larger (or smaller) than the default then it needs a different size, but unfortunately we aren't getting a range of sizes (with the exception of a couple of Freak fits). Of course a lot of the work would need to be repeated for the different sizes (including textures), so they'd have to be paid for on the commercial sets (and we couldn't expect them on the freebies anyway).

• zhujian0305zhujian0305 Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

你好!我想知道 DAZ Studio and OptiTex 之间是如何交互的。现在我们的 DAZ Studio 不能读取 clt 格式文件。请问,是否有读取 clt 格式文件的插件,有,那么如何获取这个插件。 谢谢!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is the Above...
    Hello! I want to know how between DAZ Studio and OptiTex is interactive. Now we DAZ Studio clt format files can not be read. Ask whether there are read clt file format plug-ins, there are, how to get this plugin. Thank you!

The Free plugin is built into DAZ Studio. It is in Windows>Panes(Tabs)>Dynamic Clothing

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Here is the Above...
    Hello! I want to know how between DAZ Studio and OptiTex is interactive. Now we DAZ Studio clt format files can not be read. Ask whether there are read clt file format plug-ins, there are, how to get this plugin. Thank you!

The Free plugin is built into DAZ Studio. It is in Windows>Panes(Tabs)>Dynamic Clothing

你好!谢谢你的回复和帮助!不过,你提到的 Dynamic Clothing,我知道,它是DAZ3D提供的免费模拟插件。但是,我说的是 OptiTex 输出 clt 格式文件,DAZ3D 可以在导入项选择 clt 格式导入方式导出 clt 文件。

这里有个演示教程,请看一下:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJmyYTEslM

我现在就是想知道演示教程中的,这个DAZ3D 导入项有个clt 格式选项。我们现在手动上 DAZ3D 都没有这个选项,但这个教程中确有。所以就想知道,教程中的选项是怎么有的,是另外有啥插件?能请说明一下吗?

非常感谢你们的帮助!大家都在期盼中,谢谢!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Here is the Above...

你好!谢谢你的回复和帮助!不过,你提到的 Dynamic Clothing,我知道,它是DAZ3D提供的免费布料模拟插件。但是,我说的是 OptiTex 输出 clt 格式文件,DAZ3D 可以直接导入clt格式文件。

这里有个演示教程,请看一下:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJmyYTEslM

在演示教程中的,DAZ3D 导入项有个clt 格式选项。而我们现在手动上 DAZ3D 都没有这个选项,但这个教程中确有。所以我们就想知道,教程中的选项是怎么有的,是另外有啥插件?能否请你说明一下吗?

非常感谢你们的帮助!大家都在期盼中,谢谢!

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Here is the Above...

DS and Poser cloth dynamics are not exactly interactive. You can load an Optitex dynamic clothing item into DS and export it as an obj file. This obj file can then be imported into Poser, saved as a prop and then used int cloth room. The main issues with these obj files is they are not single sided mesh (which Poser's cloth room prefers) and this can cause issue with self-collision during the cloth simulation. I've also encountered weld issues that can cause both collision issues and separation issues. The latter can be fixed used the grouping tool or other cloth room tools.

Poser's dynamic clothing is generally a single sided mesh obj which can be imported into DS. The only problem is, the dynamic plugins (both the built in player and the separate cloth control) do not have any effect on the mesh.

Optitex dynamic clothing if you look at the texture map are based more on real world patterns than on modelled mesh. The built in plugin takes the "pattern" and "stitches" it into a clothing item the same as the commercial version it is based on does. Marvelous Designer's creators talked about creating a plugin for DS several years ago but so far nothing has come of it.

Shortly after the merger with Gizmoz, DAZ handed all aspects of dynamic cloth over to Optitex. Everything for dynamics offered here at DAZ has Optitex in vendor line. Beyond the release of the Control plugin years ago, there has been little indication of the direction Optitex will take. There has been no mention of a cloth creation plugin or a plugin that would allow DS to use Poser dynamic clothing out of the box since the merger.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I'm confused- the free plug in that comes with the studio is not the same as the one optitex sells?
    And how hard is it to use the dynamic clothing plug in? With the sale today and the snowball savings stacking, I'm looking at the clothing and the plug in, but need some input as to the ease of use and the results. The promos look good, but.... can anyone share their experiences? With studio, not poser.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

The free one included in DAZ Studio is basically a "stripped down" version, which allows you less control (no wind and such, also limitations of controlling how many drapes per frame and fabric control). It works, but I probably couldn't live without the full plugin anymore.

If you want to see whether it is working out for you or not, just try the freebies with the basic plugin in DAZ Studio. It is relatively easy to use (load clothing, position clothing, choose the collision targets, draping, done), but keep in mind that e.g. none of the freebies is rigged for e.g. G2F / G2M, so the pre-rigging is not much of use with these (autofit / transfer utility conversions cannot be applied to the Optitex clothing). Nevertheless it is relatively easy to pose the clothing similar to the figure pose and then start the drape. More complex clothing / poses may require an animation drape, meaning that you start at frame 0 in a good starting pose and then end at e.g. frame 30 with the end pose - doing the animation drape all through then.

One thing I thoroughly miss from the Optitex system is the loss of scaling. Scaling basically doesn't stick with regards to the clothes, so you can only marginally affect the size of the clothing via e.g. "shrink %" modifiers - the control of that modifier is part of the full plugin if I recall correctly.

Personally I use the Optitex dynamic clothes frequently and you can do some really marvelous things with them - I just wish every clothing item could be used as dynamics.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

The free plugin is very basic, if the clothes are set up really well, it may drape them properly onto a figure. The $40 plugin has more controls, so you can do things like adjusting the stretchiness, flexibility, or weight of the material, the amount gravity will affect it, how much friction "sticks" it to the figure, etc. So, if you want "poofy" sleves, you can find the sleeves in the list of regions for a clothing object and turn off their gravity and increase the "pressure" the figure exerts on cloths, and they poof right up. You can turn up friction for form fitting outfits or turn it down to have everything slide down the figure. You will find yourself playing with these controls a lot trying to get more natural looking drapes.

So it's not really like Look at my Hair or Garibaldi, where the free version is fully functional, and the $40 version gives you a full editor so you can create your own stuff. For Dynamic Clothing, the free version almost always fails to give a decent drape, and you need the controls of the $40 version to have any appreciable chances of success. There is no editor. You are limited to clothing made specifically for this program, and there appears to be exactly one person with the editor and skills to use it. Vendors wit an idea for some dynamic cloathing have to go through this one person before their clothing can become dynamic, which means the offerings are skate, at best.

My experiences have been generally been poor, and I can't really say I'm a fan. When it works, it works great: the results are really stunning, But I find it fails more often than it works, and it's a dice game, very hard to predict what so going to work before you try it, so it's just for fun, you can't have it in the workflow when you have to have accurate time estimates, because you never know how long it will take you to get it to work, or even if it's possible with the figures, poses, and props you've chosen.

The clothes are like real clothes in that you buy them in a particular size and that's the one size they fit. So, if you buy a Victoria 5 dress, it works with Victoria 5, but hangs and droops all over Stephanie, and don't even think of trying Julie. There is no way in either plugin to adjust the size of the clothing (although this old dev thinks that should be pretty simple to implement), instead you have to resize the figure to fit the clothes a little better, then resize the rest of the universe (furniture, props, rooms, etc) to fit the resized figure. Even then, the figure's proportions might not be close enough to the target figure to give you a good drape. And heaven help you if you want two or more figures in the scene. You have a Victoria, a Stephanei resized to Vicky height and looking strange with the large head, and a Julie resized to Vicky height looking even stranger.

It's hard to make clothing intact properly with the figure's environment. If the clothing's mesh and the object's mesh don't have compatible polygon sizes, the cloth can go right through the figure. So, the dress may drape just fine over Victoria, but half of it goes through the divan she's sitting on. A lot of clothing is set up with V4 pitches and Genesis goes partially through the clothing because Geneisis polys are over twice the size of V4 polys. I tried to lace texture the dynamic sheet and drape it over some figures, and Genesis kept going through it on fingers and elbows. Thank goodness I didn't waste time texturing the sheet before I tried the drape.

And worst thing of all, it's very hard to pose a figure so that the hands interract with the cloth. A finger not touching the cloth will get avoided by the drape, a finger touching the cloth gets the cloth "pinned" to it unnaturally. You frequently find yourself dropping cylinders into the scene to "pin" the mesh to things you want it to drape nicely over, then hiding the cylinders. But the pinning doesn't look 100% natural, it looks like the cloth is being draped over invisible pins. It's tricky.

I don't think I've ever seen another plugin with as many "tips and tricks" tutorials, and even after you go through all the tips and tricks, it's still an unpredictable game, roll the dice and pray.

Ok, that's my 10 cents.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I'm confused- the free plug in that comes with the studio is not the same as the one optitex sells?
    And how hard is it to use the dynamic clothing plug in? With the sale today and the snowball savings stacking, I'm looking at the clothing and the plug in, but need some input as to the ease of use and the results. The promos look good, but.... can anyone share their experiences? With studio, not poser.

In essence the included free player as it was referred to in the original press releases is just that. It plays pre-made cloth simulations created with the proprietary and very expensive Optitex cloth design system. The separate plugin gives you more control over the pre-mae simulation. It improves drape, gives wind control, gravity and even fabric settings.

The original press release was for cloth dynamics to be released in at least 3 modules. The free Player which was added to DS2. The cloth control plugin which was released quite a while later, and cloth creation plugin which everyone is still waiting on. There was also vague promises of a future fourth module that would allow DS to use Poser dynamic clothing out of the box.

Beyond the announcement made after the merger, other than the on again off again thread about new dynamic clothing, there has been nothing stated.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the explanation :)
    Szark helped me out over on my art studio thread, with some examples and more details too-
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34269/P255/#512238

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

I addition to what wiz pointed out, dynamic clothing seem to cause a lot of bugs. More than once I opened a saved scene that contained dynamic clothing, just to find the clothing gone for some reason. Or un-draped although it was draped. And there's a bunch of old scens DS just refuses to open nowadays - common attribute? - they all contained dynamics.

And I'm not even gonna get into the number of times this plugin just crashed DS.

IF it works the results a great, but it comes with a laaaarge amount of headaches.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

I have just recently gotten into using this version of Dynamic Clothing, and so far due to a really good video tutorial, I have had some pretty good luck with it. I have even done simulations in which I added more frames to the timeline for the purposes of posing the figure further after the initial drape. In one of my images I have a girl wearing a dynamic dress doing a somersault attack on another character, and it looks really good. And here's the kicker: I am using Genesis 2 Females, Genesis 3 Females, and the new Genesis 8 Females. I can even use character morphs for each of them.

So to conclude what I am saying, the builtin plugin version is what I am using, and I have had only 2 failures out of perhaps 20 attempts, for a success rate of 90%! I would say that's pretty good in anybody's book.

Cheers!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I have just recently gotten into using this version of Dynamic Clothing

FWIW, there's really only ever been one version of the Dynamics plugin — I bought it when it first came out, and the Dynamics tab and the way everything works is still identical. The gotcha that trips people up is that the Dynamics plugin is one of the weird ones, it gets updated every time a new D|S version comes out of beta, and you must use the plugin version that matches the version number of D|S. If you don't update, the plugin won't work.