Exclusive news at CarraraCafe: Time and details about Carrara 8.5 and 9 releases

Comments

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, it's not dead yet, but.. meh. I don't use Genesis at all since I use PPro 2012 for some stuff and need comparability. Better support for new OSes is welcome, of course, as are improved viewport avatars. Otherwise, well, meh.. nothing worthy of excitement or paying for an upgrade for. :shrug emote:

Will see what the "surprise" is. :blank: Now back to Carrara 8.1 for some experimentation with PyCloids... :smirk:

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

ACK, I don't even know what all that is....! I'm not looking at this until I have Genesis in Carrara. I'm not BUYING anything Genesis until Carrara is finished. DAZ get's no Genesis money from me until it works in Carrara. I "bought" D|S4.5 for free but I haven't loaded it and I don't intend to.

Amen. Of my 600 orders from DAZ, none are for Genesis items. I think.

:coolsmirk:

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

de3an said:
    Am I missing something?

I followed the posted CarraraCafe link and read the post, but I don't see any information that is actually from any DAZ representative.

The post itself appears to be anonymous. It's unsigned and has no header indicating who it's from.
    None of the claims are attributed to any person at DAZ.

Taken as written, I see this as just more gossip and rumor, and wouldn't quote any of it as fact. There is nothing there that is directly traceable to a DAZ spokesperson.

One of the goals of Carrara Cafe was to be less formal with information... Consider it an official "leak" to show what they are thinking without actually scheduling days or work hours. It's an estimate, and honest about it.....

DAZ is a company. They've said things innocently but in the wrong way in the past.... The "official" announcement is no doubt still coming, but in conjunction with a download or specific results would be better. That's when they will post here and make it "official".

This way we get all our venom out of the way and a few more vocal types have already grown warm to the idea. Plus we actually *do* get the information even if it is "just a sketch of a plan" at this time....

Strategy. ;-)

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Edited the news piece due to negative feedback.

No, I am not a journalist nor do I have any journalistic education.
    No, I am not being paid anything for all the work at CarraraCafe.
    No, English is not my native language.
    No, I was not fully awake when I wrote the news last night, past midnight local time.

There is one new Carrara 8.5 feature not mentioned in the news post, anyone want to guess what it is?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:

ACK, I don't even know what all that is....! I'm not looking at this until I have Genesis in Carrara. I'm not BUYING anything Genesis until Carrara is finished. DAZ get's no Genesis money from me until it works in Carrara. I "bought" D|S4.5 for free but I haven't loaded it and I don't intend to.

Amen. Of my 600 orders from DAZ, none are for Genesis items. I think.

:coolsmirk:

Different strokes for different folks, I really like genesis in both DS and Carrara, it's just so much more versatile than any of the other figures (and just plain fun to use). As far as add-ons and morphs, I think I've purchased more for Genesis than either the gen4 or gen3 figures. I haven't purchased a lot of genesis cloths though, because with the gen4 and gen3 genesis morphs, I can use almost all of my old content (except for shoes).

I'm sure C8.5 will probably come with content for free that I've already purchased. I'm OK with that because I've been able to use it now, and have gotten it all at good sale prices. Not trying to convince anyone to go Genesis - just pointing out that it works pretty well in the Carrara beta now.

PS: I know a lot of people have complained about DS 4x being hard to learn/use, but I found it rather easy. I was pretty comfortable after about 3-4 hours of just messing around with it. It makes a nice companion software to Carrara for lazy people like me that use pre-made figures and content.

edited December 1969

Whoops, looks like our dates were just pushed back 3 months...

3drendero said:

There is one new Carrara 8.5 feature not mentioned in the news post, anyone want to guess what it is?

Carrara 8.5 will include:
    - Support for up to Windows 8 and OSX 10.8
    - DSON support
    – Metadata support
    - New animation tools (keyframe tool improvements, smoothing, keying every frame, etc.)
    - Graph editor improvements
    - Improvements to viewport avatars (Lights – spotlight, sun, moon, etc. Cameras – Conical, Isometric, etc.)

Um... Genesis?

Thanks Dustrider... I'm not worried about D|S being "hard". But every extra program is a time suck.... When Carrara is ready I'm sure I will be happy to advance.... M4 was all crazy in C7... I don't need to be bleeding edge. It's too stressful.

edited December 1969

Thanks Dustrider... I'm not worried about D|S being "hard". But every extra program is a time suck.... When Carrara is ready I'm sure I will be happy to advance.... M4 was all crazy in C7... I don't need to be bleeding edge. It's too stressful.

I hear you there Holly - I had DS 4 and some Genesis stuff for 3+ months before I finally felt I had enough patience, time, and extra brain power to install it and give it a go. I used to like to be on the leading, sometimes bleeding edge. Not anymore :ahhh:
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

Um... Genesis?

Nope, DSON already listed covers Genesis. Keep guessing...

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

Much better. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

3drendero said:

3drendero said:

Um... Genesis?

Nope, DSON already listed covers Genesis. Keep guessing...
    Improved bullet simulation for soft bodies? Opps, no that's listed (woohoo!!), maybe export of rigged figures set up in Carrara to duf for use in DS and possibly Poser?

edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Improved bullet simulation for soft bodies? Opps, no that's listed (woohoo!!), maybe export of rigged figures set up in Carrara to duf for use in DS and possibly Poser?

It is the soft body sim, just added it since the news got out that Renderosity forums.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited February 2013

Edit: Never mind, just read the updated post.

Post edited by araneldon on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The best part about being a pessimist is never being disappointed ;)

edited February 2013

3drendero said:

It is the soft body sim.

OOOooohohhhh..
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

The Millennium Cow?

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

The Millennium Cow?

Sock, you know as lucrative as the Milennium Cow would be that it will clearly be a Carrara 9 feature.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Still no mention of 8.5's price, something I'd love to know to be able to budget for. And then a few months later, a full-price upgrade?

edited February 2013

...And then a few months later...

*cough cough*
    edited February 2013

let me point to DAZ's track record of meeting release dates. ;)

Edit to add: Budget half the price a a full upgrade. If it's more then that... well ... lol
    If it is less you'll have it for what ever plugins or content you may need.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

No, I was not fully awake when I wrote the news last night, past midnight local time.

Improved DAZ Communication?

edited February 2013

DaRkWyNdE said:
    3drendero said:

I'll put that up there with the request for a manual, and fixing after effects.

less then 48 hours.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited February 2013

...And then a few months later...

*cough cough*

Hard to type while laughing hard, isn't it?

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
    edited December 1969

DaRkWyNdE said:

Please suggest improvements and we will try to help out.

edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    3drendero said:

The Millennium Cow?

Sock, you know as lucrative as the Milennium Cow would be that it will clearly be a Carrara 9 feature.

Turbosquid has a lucrative cow for 510$, more than Carrara:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-mod/cow-animal-realistic-3d-model/609897

edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Different strokes for different folks, I really like genesis in both DS and Carrara ... I know a lot of people have complained about DS 4x being hard to learn/use, but I found it rather easy. I was pretty comfortable after about 3-4 hours of just messing around with it. It makes a nice companion software to Carrara for lazy people like me that use pre-made figures and content.

I'm glad DS works for you. I got down on it in an early version when I could not even figure out how to load purchased content. They say a cat that sits on a hot stove won't sit on hot stove again ... or a cold stove.

But I'm curious about your last comment ... I also use pre-made figures and content, almost exclusively, and in Carrara. M4, V4, K4, Poser scenes and props. How does DS make a nice "companion"? Is it just the Genesis figures (which I *think* work only in the beta of Carrara)?

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Kodiak3D said:
    3drendero said:

The Millennium Cow?

Turbosquid has a lucrative cow for 510$, more than Carrara:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-mod/cow-animal-realistic-3d-model/609897

That's a serious load of Millennium BULL, I think! :ahhh: :bug:

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    dustrider said:

Different strokes for different folks, I really like genesis in both DS and Carrara ... I know a lot of people have complained about DS 4x being hard to learn/use, but I found it rather easy. I was pretty comfortable after about 3-4 hours of just messing around with it. It makes a nice companion software to Carrara for lazy people like me that use pre-made figures and content.

I'm glad DS works for you. I got down on it in an early version when I could not even figure out how to load purchased content. They say a cat that sits on a hot stove won't sit on hot stove again ... or a cold stove.

But I'm curious about your last comment ... I also use pre-made figures and content, almost exclusively, and in Carrara. M4, V4, K4, Poser scenes and props. How does DS make a nice "companion"? Is it just the Genesis figures (which I *think* work only in the beta of Carrara)?

Tools. As far as working on/with content studio beats carrara hands down. Carrara doesn't even come close to having the tools to work on content. Morphs for instance. In studio I send the figure to Hex, do the morphs, send back to studio, name it, save, done. In carrara it's like trying to thread a needle with a mooring rope. In studio you have a nice selection of file formats to save to; as far as poser and DS formats. Carrara can not save in any sort of poser or DS format.

edited February 2013

ManStan said:
    Steve K said:

I also use pre-made figures and content, almost exclusively, and in Carrara. M4, V4, K4, Poser scenes and props. How does DS make a nice "companion"? Is it just the Genesis figures (which I *think* work only in the beta of Carrara)?

Tools. As far as working on/with content studio beats carrara hands down. Carrara doesn't even come close to having the tools to work on content. Morphs for instance. In studio I send the figure to Hex, do the morphs, send back to studio, name it, save, done. In carrara it's like trying to thread a needle with a mooring rope. In studio you have a nice selection of file formats to save to; as far as poser and DS formats. Carrara can not save in any sort of poser or DS format.

OK, thanks for the response. I can see those would be nice features for many people. In my case, not being interested in modelling (I have Hex and have never installed it), I am happy with the Morphs++ for V4, M4, K4, etc., and the low cost morph sets available for purchase (maybe from you B-) ) Probably way more than I'll ever use. Also, saving in Carrara format is all I ever do.

I'm not disagreeing with you, its just that I don't (yet?) see the incentive to get into DS. For me, that is, when I'm still exploring Carrara features that are useful for short animations.

[Corrected the embedded quotes 27Feb 8PM CST. I hope]

Post edited by Steve K on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791
    edited December 1969

I use studio a lot now
    on this computer (had no choice before, it crashed to the desktop on my laptop with only a few figures)
    I never render in it though

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2013

I really don't know what everyone is complaining about...

Seriously, did you read the announcement?

In 6 more months we will have the #1 most requested improvement in Carrara: Viewport Avatars. Do you know how many times I've requested that? For example, the 3D representation of a camera is just CRAP !!! Looks nothing like a real camera !!! That really ruins my entire workflow. I can't get anything done in that environment.

So personally I'm thrilled. Late summer of this year is only 6 months or so from now...unless they decide to extend that later on....

But even more important is that they are "working on plans" to release C9 in, maybe, something kinda like a year from now. That's AWESOME !!! Now of course they don't want to spill the beans and tell us what "C9" means, but I sure hope there are further improvements in the viewport avatars. That will surely be worth the wait. Heck, even if they "plans" they are working on fall thru, and it ends up being two years from now (kinda like 8.5 beta....), it still will be worth the wait.

I think we should break out the sunshine and lollipops and have a "happy party".

Dudes, face it, Carrara is on life support. C8.5 is a non-release with almost nothing useful that isn't content-related. And C9 is, well, who the hell knows? Just a number right now.

So if you want to hang in there for at least another year for some "C9" that, right now means nothing, then it's happy time.

Personally, I like how they say "this just in: Improved Bullet simulation for soft bodies". Wow. That could mean anything from a tiny change in some semi-useful aspect of the simulation to a major improvement. Guess we'll just have to wait 6 months or more to find out.

Now, on a brighter note...

Just think of it this way: we now have to look forward to at least another 6 months of working as beta testers in 8.5 !!! Cool, huh?

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on