Edit Genesis UV's in Hexagon?

bringhobringho Posts: 239

Anyone know how to hide all UV's but the one from the selected material zone when Genesis was sent to Hexagon?

If that is possible, how to soft select UV's in Hexagon?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

bringho said:
    Anyone know how to hide all UV's but the one from the selected material zone when Genesis was sent to Hexagon?

On the left side under Shading Domains, "hide" the areas you don't want to see.
    The brushes for reshaping are found on the uvmap tab.
    The option for 'soft select' is a tiny box on the right hand side, properties tab. Might have to scroll down abit in that tab to find it.

When you're finished rearranging the placement of the vertices, etc. don't forget to unhide all those surfaces before sending it back to D/S.
    [I'm talking about on the 3d tab which is where one works on Genesis to make morphs]

I don't recommend "editing" Genesis' uvmaps in Hexagon. That's what produces the nice texture template for to colour with skin. When you select any one Shading Domain, you can see it and take a snapshot/screenshot of it if need be for to use in an image editor.
    If you actually change any part of the uvmap, the entire figure's map will be affected.

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

bringho said:

The option for 'soft select' is a tiny box on the right hand side, properties tab. Might have to scroll down abit in that tab to find it.

When you're finished rearranging the placement of the vertices, etc. don't forget to unhide all those surfaces before sending it back to D/S.
    [I'm talking about on the 3d tab which is where one works on Genesis to make morphs]

I don't recommend "editing" Genesis' uvmaps in Hexagon. That's what produces the nice texture template for to colour with skin. When you select any one Shading Domain, you can see it and take a snapshot/screenshot of it if need be for to use in an image editor.
    If you actually change any part of the uvmap, the entire figure's map will be affected.

Thank you I'll try that. :-)

No I was not thinking of changing the original Genesis Map but to save the edited mesh out from Hexagon and use that as a source for a new UV map.

edited December 1969

bringho said:
    ... edit ...

No I was not thinking of changing the original Genesis Map but to save the edited mesh out from Hexagon and use that as a source for a new UV map.

Let's back this up a bit. Are you trying to morph? trying to geograft? If you actually edit the mesh of Genesis, you will lose the original Genesis map as Hexagon will 'redo it' or 'lose it' as soon as one starts welding, adding, deleting polygons. If you're using it as a source for a new UV map, then yes you're going to be needing to remake the uvmap in Hexagon [as far as I know] and as has been said before, uvmapping in Hexagon is an exercise in patience.

And if anybody else reading all this knows better the procedures, please feel free to jump in. ;-)

edited December 1969

bringho said:
    ... edit ...

Let's back this up a bit. Are you trying to morph? trying to geograft? If you actually edit the mesh of Genesis, you will lose the original Genesis map as Hexagon will 'redo it' or 'lose it' as soon as one starts welding, adding, deleting polygons. If you're using it as a source for a new UV map, then yes you're going to be needing to remake the uvmap in Hexagon [as far as I know] and as has been said before, uvmapping in Hexagon is an exercise in patience.

And if anybody else reading all this knows better the procedures, please feel free to jump in. ;-)

Oh, no :-)

It started some time ago when I created a new higher resolution UV map for the Female Genitalia, that was straightforward just to select the UV's and scale them. Then I exported the (unedited) mesh (with new) UV's) and imported the new UV set in the Daz Surfaces drop down menu 'Load UV Set...'

But when I wanted to correct the V4 UV set for Genesis I did not find any way to see only the UV set of the face surface in Hexagon.

I've been in contact with Daz about the UV set and they won't correct the problem themselves. They state that they recommend the use of Gen 5 maps on Genesis although they distribute characters using the V4 UV set on Genesis...

The image show one of the figures at sale here at Daz marketed as V4 and Genesis (no evil finger pointed at the PA as it's the UV set from DAZ that creates the error).

The corner of the eye is the obvious problem area but the left side of the top lip is ill defined as well, not as annoying and not a problem with most of the V4 texture maps.

What we really need is a 'TC2 - Genesis Plugin' (you listening 3D Universe?) ;-)

A_Sofia.png
    730 x 408 - 378K
    edited December 1969

bringho said:
    ... edit ...

Oh, no :-)

It started some time ago when I created a new higher resolution UV map for the Female Genitalia, that was straightforward just to select the UV's and scale them. Then I exported the (unedited) mesh (with new) UV's) and imported the new UV set in the Daz Surfaces drop down menu 'Load UV Set...'

But when I wanted to correct the V4 UV set for Genesis I did not find any way to see only the UV set of the face surface in Hexagon.

I've been in contact with Daz about the UV set and they won't correct the problem themselves. They state that they recommend the use of Gen 5 maps on Genesis although they distribute characters using the V4 UV set on Genesis...

The image show one of the figures at sale here at Daz marketed as V4 and Genesis (no evil finger pointed at the PA as it's the UV set from DAZ that creates the error).

The corner of the eye is the obvious problem area but the left side of the top lip is ill defined as well, not as annoying and not a problem with most of the V4 texture maps.

What we really need is a 'TC2 - Genesis Plugin' (you listening 3D Universe?) ;-)

Yes, V5 has the nice new set of uvmaps for use with Genesis.

However, for V4's textures on Genesis, rather than trying to remake uvmaps, think most of us are simply editing the textures as required.
    To make your own templates one can use Hexagon as illustrated.
    Or one can make use of the really helpful "seam guides" made available by Snow Sultan. Click here.

import.png
    944 x 502 - 92K
    edited March 2013

bringho said:

Edited:

Never Mind... For some reason the texture is visible in the UV edit window now...

No problem with editing the UV map, I'll just make some minor corrections (the ones Daz should have done prior to release...), then I'll use the edited obj exported out from Hexagon to create an alternative V4 UV map in DS :-)

I've come as far as to get the exported model imported into Hexagon.

I've loaded my texture file into the material (or at least I think so...).

How do I get the texture to be visible in the UV window?

Post edited by bringho on
    edited December 1969

Glad you've got everything under control there.

I'll post this for others following so they know also how to make an image appear.

select_face_to_see_it.png
    800 x 418 - 119K
    and_select_the_one_you_want.png
    687 x 491 - 115K
    edited December 1969

I'll post this for others following so they know also how to make an image appear.

That's great!

Tthe reason I did not see the texture in the UV window was that it was to large...

When I scaled it down to 4096x4096 it worked fine. :-)

edited December 1969

bringho said:

Anyone know how to send anything but the base resolution Genesis figure to Hexagon?

I want to edit the UV set seen in the Genesis (V5) UV template, not half that amount of UV's...

edited December 1969

Here is the result from my first attempt to correct the worst flaws around the eyes of the original V4 on Genesis UV Map.

Already some of the V4 make up's look decent...

Model used P3D Jenifer

1st_Attempt.png
    800 x 285 - 300K
    edited December 1969

bringho said:

That's great!

Tthe reason I did not see the texture in the UV window was that it was to large...

Surprized you didn't crash Hexie. It likes "small" images.

edited December 1969

bringho said:

That's great!

Surprized you didn't crash Hexie. It likes "small" images.

LOL, I've crashed Hexagon that way as well ;-)