How can I make the LARGEST possible renders?

FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm using Poser 9 on a Mac. Many times when I try to make a render of a relatively simple scene 6000 x 4800 pixels in size, Poser goes through the whole process of precalculating the indirect light and then rendering the scene - when the whole scene is rendered, Poser suddenly quits, and the render is lost before I can save it.

Is it possible to save a Poser scene, and then render it in another software program? I need to render in very large sizes.

Thanks!

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited February 2013

DAZ Studio can open PZ3 scenes and can render at a maximum of 10,000 x 10,000 pixels

I have done images as big as 6400 x 4800 in DAZ Studio as far back as 2006.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    DAZ Studio can open PZ3 scenes and can render at a maximum of 10,000 x 10,000 pixels

I have done images as big as 6400 x 4800 in DAZ Studio as far back as 2006.

Thanks for the quick answer! Do I have to adjust some setting in DAZ Studio to render that big. I haven't reallyever used DAZ Studio for a render before.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

No you shouldn't have to do anything other than set your resolution. Thing I would be concerned with is how your materials and such came over from poser, that would be a bigger deal I think.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

But before any of that...how much memory does your computer have?

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited February 2013

mjc1016 said:

This is the dealbreaker. RAM is pretty much what will help accomplish bigger or more intensive scenes the most.

Post edited by Servant on
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    mjc1016 said:

This is the dealbreaker. RAM is pretty much what will help accomplish bigger or more intensive scenes the most.

It's a Mac and there are 8 GB. I made a render just now in DAZ Studio, but the indirect lighting was lost from Poser and I can't figure out how to turn it on. When I click on the light, there doesn't seem to be a setting for indirect light.

Also, I can't figure out how to see the dimensions of the render in the viewport so I can frame the scene.

• CapscesCapsces Posts: 465
    edited December 1969

I have had similar problems rendering in all versions of Poser. However, I have managed to work around it many times by rendering in layers and compositing the elements. Doing so, I've managed to render at 5400 x 8000. However, I find it almost impossible to render large using much raytracing or ambient occlusion. Really large textures seem to slow things down too. Of course, another disappointment for me when trying to render large is the fact that most 3d textures are not made to render at large sizes, and many will look bad. I'll be interested to hear more about your D|S experience.

edited December 1969

No you shouldn't have to do anything other than set your resolution. Thing I would be concerned with is how your materials and such came over from poser, that would be a bigger deal I think.

You're right. The textures look pretty bad one I import the scene into DAZ Studio.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013

Fauvist said:

Also, I can't figure out how to see the dimensions of the render in the viewport so I can frame the scene.

You can enable "SHow Aspect Frame" in the viewport. On the top right of each viewport there are some icons. I think there is a settings icon and you can click on that. There will be a drop down with some options. One is show aspect frame, which will let you frame the image better.

Fauvist said:

You're right. The textures look pretty bad one I import the scene into DAZ Studio.

Yeah, that is what I feared. If you have DS presets for those items then you may be able to get something better looking, but since you don't normally use DS you may not have them or they may not exist.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

I'm trying it in Carrara. DAZ Studio isn't as intuitive.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

A way to do this in Bryce is to tile your render in 4 (or more) parts using the Pan H and Pan V controls.
    I've just had a look in Poser (I only have Poser 8) and can't find a similar function.

I also wonder if you could do an 'area render' in four parts, choosing each quarter of it and save each as it finishes?
    Then stitch it back together in Photoshop.

edited December 1969

A way to do this in Bryce is to tile your render in 4 (or more) parts using the Pan H and Pan V controls.
    I've just had a look in Poser (I only have Poser 8) and can't find a similar function.

I also wonder if you could do an 'area render' in four parts, choosing each quarter of it and save each as it finishes?

Those are good ideas! I have Bryce 7 that I've never used, maybe I can figure out how to import the scene from Poser and then render it like you suggest. The Poser area render may work too. Thanks!

edited February 2013

As to the indirect light...not going to happen with 'standard' lights. None of the 'standard' DS lights have indirect lighti. UberEnvironment is probably the 'easiest' way to do indirect, but it has a bit of learning curve and definitely requires tweaking. It's not as simple/straight forward as Poser's implementation.

About the memory...8 GB should be enough. 4 would be pushing it for that size...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

So Poser doesn't save these "lost" renders in its history?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Poser 9 is only 32-bit, isn't it?

edited December 1969

Where is Poser's "history"?

edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

Go to the Render tab. The last render you've done is shown there. Go down to beneath the bottom left corner of that render window and there is a little icon there showing a textual list the last several renders you've done. Click on any one and that render will be displayed.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Yes, Poser 9 is only 32 bit. For full 64 bit rendering, you need Pro 2012.

What minimum shading rate are you using?

Do you have reflective surfaces?

What texture sizes are you using on background and even mid-ground figures?

Before you render, save the scene. Go to prefs and clear the undo cache. This will free up system resources. Close Poser. If necessary, reboot your system. Or just relaunch Poser. Load the scene and render.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    I made a render just now in DAZ Studio, but the indirect lighting was lost from Poser and I can't figure out how to turn it on. When I click on the light, there doesn't seem to be a setting for indirect light.

Yes, you will have to pretty much toss out any Poser lights when you import a complete scene, and re-rig the lighting in D|S. The two programs are so different in the way they use lights, even basic spot, point and infinite lights can't reliably be carried over from Poser. D|S lights, especially with some of the add-ons in the store here, can pull off many similar effects, but how it's done and how you set it up in your scene will be very different.
    edited December 1969

Yeah...if it's 32 bit, then there's 4 GB of RAM going to waste and 4 GB may not be quite enough for that size render.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited February 2013

Fauvist said:
    I made a render just now in DAZ Studio, but the indirect lighting was lost from Poser and I can't figure out how to turn it on. When I click on the light, there doesn't seem to be a setting for indirect light.

Yes, you will have to pretty much toss out any Poser lights when you import a complete scene, and re-rig the lighting in D|S. The two programs are so different in the way they use lights, even basic spot, point and infinite lights can't reliably be carried over from Poser. D|S lights, especially with some of the add-ons in the store here, can pull off many similar effects, but how it's done and how you set it up in your scene will be very different.
    You can keep the lights pretty often in my experience, but you'll have to do a lot of backing off on the intensity.

Indirect lighting would have to be done with UberEnvironment though.

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Before you render, save the scene. Go to prefs and clear the undo cache. This will free up system resources. Close Poser. If necessary, reboot your system. Or just relaunch Poser. Load the scene and render.

Here's a screenshot of the settings. I've removed the textured background now, and there are no reflective surfaces. I cleared the cache, saved the scene, and closed and reopened Poser. I'll try rendering again. Thanks!

Screen_shot_2013-02-26_at_7.40_.03_PM_.png
    698 x 576 - 79K
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

I did what you suggested, and, without the background, the render did not cause Poser to quit at the end. Thank you, this may be a solution!

edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

Go to the Render tab. The last render you've done is shown there. Go down to beneath the bottom left corner of that render window and there is a little icon there showing a textual list the last several renders you've done. Click on any one and that render will be displayed.

There was only one render there, so I went to Preferences and changed it so that the last 3 renders will be saved - maybe if Poser quits, now I'll still be able to salvage the render. Thanks!

edited December 1969

I tried to area render at 10,000 pixels and I got this message:

Screen_shot_2013-02-26_at_8.00_.00_PM_.png
    317 x 212 - 27K
    edited December 1969

You're running out of memory, then. You have 8 Gigs of memory, but on a 32bit system, I think 4-5 Gigs are going to waste.

edited December 1969

You're running out of memory, then. You have 8 Gigs of memory, but on a 32bit system, I think 4-5 Gigs are going to waste.

I don't know why I'm able to render a 10,000 pixel wide image in Carrara.

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Might want to try Large Address Aware:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Go into Preferences on poser and check "Render as a separate process" then set the Firefly renderer to Large Address Aware to squeeze out as much RAM as possible for 32 bit.

edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

I don't know why I'm able to render a 10,000 pixel wide image in Carrara.

OSX on that machine should be 64 bit...and Carrara is probably 64 bit...which means you have access to the full 8 GB of RAM. But Poser 9 being 32 bit means it can only access 4 GB (max...probably more like 3 or so GB). So you've got at least twice the available RAM for Carrara.

Might want to try Large Address Aware:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Go into Preferences on poser and check "Render as a separate process" then set the Firefly renderer to Large Address Aware to squeeze out as much RAM as possible for 32 bit.

It's a Mac...not gonna work...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited December 1969

why are you not using Carrara then?