application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect

bootsmail10bootsmail10 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

can anyone help with this, it is not the side by side error

running xp sp 3

already tried re installing and the 2005 c++ install but the same error on startup

if this carries on i want a full refund seeing as a trial version is not available to try it out first

bryce 6 runs fine but 7 pro wont startup

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

What system specs do you have Bryce 7 should work on XP, but it does need a good system.

Pentium Processor (or equivalent) or greater
    700 MHz (1 GHz or faster recommended)
    Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000 (SP2+), or NT (SP6)
    512 MB RAM min (1GB+ recommended)
    100 MB free hard drive space for installation (500 MB+ recommended)

OpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB RAM (Drivers supporting OpenGL 1.1 recommended)
    CD-ROM drive

Is what they recommend as real mimmum, but you would actually struggle to do much on a system like that. I gave up on Br 7 until I had replaced my system, and I bought it when it first came out.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Have you checked this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7516/

I run Bryce 7.1 pro on Win 2000 SP4, XP SP3 Home and Pro, and on two Win7 Pro 64-bit. None has a problem.

• bootsmail10bootsmail10 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

system specs

xp service pack 3

core 2 e6800 3.3ghz
    4gb ram
    2 tb drive

have never had the same fail to start before on any software

re installed just the main exe without lightning and content packs and still the same error

tried changing compatability but no joy

runs fine on my 64bit laptop but will not run on my 32 bit xp machine

as soon as click on exe gives the error

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I don't know much about the PC version, but it's not something as simple as you're trying to run it Large Address Aware on a 32 bit system?

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited February 2013

i have xp sp3 - 32bit but never got this error if i remember correctly.
    even if u have the c++2005 there might still be something missing , such as a small .dll from an KB or Hotfix update , who knows, you might want to check http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html a free tool to check for missing KB according to the latest Microsoft updates.
    I use this tool Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.3) to scan for missing KBs sometimes or even to check a serial/version from an application

If nothing works for you, try a scan with this tool and get the windows updates.This tool might be related only to the security system updates, but idk give it a try , who knows.

The ony buggy KBs which i know from my experience was a KB that conflicts with Zone Alarm Firewall and another one related to the internet driver causing your internet device driver to crash (local network).

Edit: don't worry about this tool if you don't know it , its perfectly safe and legal, NASA, USARMY, USNAVY, etc uses this to scan their computers for missing windows updates, hardware upgrade planning, cyber security status, information assurance audits, IT asset management, configuration management, and more.

About Belarc : http://www.belarc.com/about.html

Post edited by cris333 on
  • bootsmail10bootsmail10 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks so far but nothing has worked as of yet, think i will try a registry clean and see if that makes a difference

regards

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited February 2013

thanks so far but nothing has worked as of yet, think i will try a registry clean and see if that makes a difference

regards

the following applies if you have only one version of bryce on your computer..if you have more than 1 bryce then i can't help you .
    I don't think a registry clean will fix this but give it a try.
    If still not working ,I would recommend to uninstall Bryce , THEN do a registry clean , Search in windows for the words such as "Bryce" and delete any left over traces on the invisible folders such as ApplicationData IF bryce creates settings/preferences or ini files .Best would be to uninstall it with Revo Unistaller , this will clean any registry trace.

Don't forget AFTER you have uninstalled Bryce to delete even the PREFETCH file too in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\BRYCE.EXE-...... .pf
    Oh and delete temporary files too ,Tune up utilies can do this nice and easy.

in other words make a clean installation.

(and be careful not to delete the Setup or any other ready to install content)

Post edited by cris333 on