how to select part of the object

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi

I'm trying to make a maritime pine tree 3d object from a picture.
So far I have my tree ready to get its textures.
I have a really basic problem which is to select the foliage part and apply the texture and then to select only the the tree trunk and
apply the corresponding texture.
How can I select those different parts independently?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What application are you modelling the tree in?

After you complete your model, the next step is to UV Map it, so that DAZ Studio knows where to apply the textures to. It involves using the built in UV Mapper for the modeller you are using, or the (free) UV Mapper application or similar (Blender?). Once the UVs have been laid out, you create a template from the OBJ file, and take it into a paint program and apply the texture to it.

I Hexagon, for example, you can create Shading Domains, which is a way of selecting polygon groups, and applying a seperate texture to them. These shading domains will appear in the DS Surfaces pane. You could try that?

Another way is to use the Polygon Group Editor inside DAZ Studio, and assign a name to any group of polygons, and then apply the texture in the Surfaces pane.

UV Mapping will give far better results for most things.

• edited December 1969

What application are you modelling the tree in?

After you complete your model, the next step is to UV Map it, so that DAZ Studio knows where to apply the textures to. It involves using the built in UV Mapper for the modeller you are using, or the (free) UV Mapper application or similar (Blender?). Once the UVs have been laid out, you create a template from the OBJ file, and take it into a paint program and apply the texture to it.

I Hexagon, for example, you can create Shading Domains, which is a way of selecting polygon groups, and applying a seperate texture to them. These shading domains will appear in the DS Surfaces pane. You could try that?

Another way is to use the Polygon Group Editor inside DAZ Studio, and assign a name to any group of polygons, and then apply the texture in the Surfaces pane.

UV Mapping will give far better results for most things.

Sorry I'm using Bryce 7

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

In that case, I will leave to a Bryce user to help you.

Chohole will know what to tell you I'm sure.

• edited December 1969

In that case, I will leave to a Bryce user to help you.

Chohole will know what to tell you I'm sure.

Thanks Jimmy
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Is this a tree from the tree lab.

If so

I select the tree

2 selct edit from the attributes screen

3 select edit(next to material) for the leaves then go to the material lab and select leaves

4 go back to the edit screen select edit material for trunk THen select a trunk material from the trunks mats.

tree_lab_3.jpg
    678 x 416 - 197K
    tree_lab_4.jpg
    678 x 416 - 104K
    tree_lab_2.jpg
    638 x 475 - 210K
    Tree_lab_1.jpg
    505 x 447 - 197K
  • edited February 2013

chohole said:
    Is this a tree from the tree lab.

If so

I select the tree

2 selct edit from the attributes screen

3 select edit(next to material) for the leaves then go to the material lab and select leaves

4 go back to the edit screen select edit material for trunk THen select a trunk material from the trunks mats.

Hi Chohole, no it's a tree I made myself from a picture I found on the web. There are no maritime pines in Bryce or DAZ studio and the only ones available on the web are very expensive.

Here is the state of my development; remains to round the tree and foliage and trunk and to apply the textures(foliage and bark)

So I need to select first the foliage part and modify it and then do the same for the trunk, but I don't know to do the partial selections and I did not find in Bryce manual a topic on this matter.

render.png
    1162 x 874 - 314K
    wire.png
    1689 x 1062 - 663K
    Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
    edited February 2013

Ah, okay. Are your leaves and trunk separated meshes ? THat looks very much to me as though you have made that from a terrain or a Symlat. If so, then you would need separtae one for the 2 different parts of the tree.

If it is two separate parts then use shift+Ctrl and then select one part of the tree that way, while in the wire frame view

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ah, okay. Are your leaves and trunk separated meshes ? THat looks very much to me as though you have made that from a terrain or a Symlat. If so, then you would need separtae one for the 2 different parts of the tree.

If it is two separate parts then use shift+Ctrl and then select one part of the tree that way, while in the wire frame view

No unfortunately the the mesh is as a whole. I used Bryce to do this after making a mask with Photoshop elements 11 (I used this tutorial Bryce Tutorial: Create a 3D Gate Using a Black and White Picture

It looks to me that I'll have to reform my mask by separating the trunk from the foliage in Photoshop....and create two objects that I'll regroup once the textures are applied.!?

edited December 1969

Yes, Is the only way to do it really

If your tree is exactly the same shape as the image you used to make it from you could try add the texture as a picture image in the mat editor, but it is not guaranteed to succeed.

tree_lab_7.jpg
    691 x 542 - 168K
    tree_lab_6.jpg
    691 x 542 - 164K
    tree_lab_5.jpg
    691 x 542 - 164K
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes, Is the only way to do it really

If your tree is exactly the same shape as the image you used to make it from you could try add the texture as a picture image in the mat editor, but it is not guaranteed to succeed.

ok I'll try that too; thanks a lot.

• edited December 1969

I have a new problem I don't see how I should solve it.

The trunk of my tree resulting from the image I used is not cylindrical. (see picture). how can I change that? The top branch should also
    look cylindrical .

tree_trunk.png
    932 x 1044 - 715K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

The technique is going to give you only a "cardboard cutout" - to be honest, I think your best bet would be to apply your image to a plane and use the mask you created to cut it out, to give a flat (but coloured) billboard.

• edited December 1969

The technique is going to give you only a "cardboard cutout" - to be honest, I think your best bet would be to apply your image to a plane and use the mask you created to cut it out, to give a flat (but coloured) billboard.

The rendering would be horrible when the camera will go along the alley separating the palestra from the amphitheater see picture here:

pompei.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

I would suggest abandoning the method that you are attempting and find a tree shape in the tree lab which is close to what you are looking for and modifying it to what you want using all the available tools of the tree lab. Using a terrain type mesh is not going to produce a very good looking tree.

Cheers
    GG

edited December 1969

Have you experimented with some of the alternative trees

tree_demo.jpg
    506 x 675 - 197K
  • edited February 2013

chohole said:

I think that's what I'm going to do and eventually use the image of the pine bark I've found as well as the pines themselves if I'm sufficiently intelligent to make them work as textures.......:red::

feuille.jpg
    640 x 480 - 121K
    pinus-pinaster---le-tronc-visoflora-23979.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 532K
  • edited February 2013

chohole said:

Yes and it is not very positive; the problem comes from the leaves. I can't manage to have the parasol shape with them. I found a very good tutorial with a detail explanation on how to use the different parameters of the tree lab; but either I get branches and leaves pointing at the sky
    or going the opposite way and I must be very cautious with the number of branches and leaves because then either the pc hangs or the rendering even with the fast preview announces 7h of processing!!!! In fact the problem is due to the complexity of the leaves which are not pines which would require less time rendering being a single kind of a needle with pratically no texture on it;
    I found another tutorial explaining how to make trees but there are points missing in the explanation and I could not get through to the end.
    It is frustrating.
    It is funny that nobody has developed such type of pine as in particular you find them too in California because of the gulfstream which makes somehow the climate look that of the Mediterranean coast. The shape should be this:

THe on you show on your picture on the extrem left could be the trick; it is has the height and mùost of the looks; where did you find it?

Maybe this could be solution; look this especially picture 5 the branch on the right side seems to be that of tall Mediterranean pine. As I have the bark in bryce now I could built the trunk and attach those branches to it and re-export to DAZ the result. What's your opinion?

Nature design

pin_maritime.jpg
    640 x 480 - 86K
    edited December 1969

The one on the extrem left of my 4 shown was a papya, selevted from the alternate trees, not throught the tree editore.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The one on the extrem left of my 4 shown was a papya, selevted from the alternate trees, not throught the tree editore.

Are these trees set up in Bryce by default?

edited December 1969

YUP use the alt button to click on the tree icon on the top of the screen, you will get a list of trees

• edited February 2013

chohole said:
    YUP use the alt button to click on the tree icon on the top of the screen, you will get a list of trees

Ok, I look at this may be this could be the solution; I have found at last a maritime pine tree in the sketchup warehouse, but when you import the collada file after converting the skp from sketch, the import is completely messed, the tree with its leaves at its foot!!!!!When I'll have finished my scene probably I'll be good for the asylum!%-P