Geppetto DS4

mattiascibienmattiascibien Posts: 140
edited December 1969 in Daz Script Developer Discussion

There was a nice plugin called Geppetto for DS3 wich was a nice keyframed animation editor under the GPL.

Now that the Daz SDK for daz studio 4 is out i was actually able to port the work of the original author under DS4.

If anybody is intrested I will try to continue to work on it.

Screenshot attached

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • mattiascibienmattiascibien Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

It's for 4.5 64bit... However the environment is set up also to compile 32bit. :) ok... I am going to make something good out of it. Expect a release soon (and access to source code of course):

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

More animation tools for DS4 are always welcome.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Was it originally released with permission to modify?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The OP did say GPL, don't know what version, but I believe that allows modification and distribution as long as it continues to be GPL licensed.

edited December 1969

GPLv3 and obviously mine will be released as GPLv3 for sure.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Thanks for confirming, I couldn't recall.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

lot of people waiting for this - all the best

• Artemia SalinaArtemia Salina Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

gravity0 said:
    GPLv3 and obviously mine will be released as GPLv3 for sure.

Hi all,

I'm the original author of Geppetto, and yes absolutely you may modify it. It was my hope that someone would pick it up and work on it. Unfortunately I'm unable to continue developing it myself due to a family illness, but I'm very happy to see that someone else has taken an interest in it.

Best regards,

Artemia

• StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I am definitely interested and will keep an eye on your thread. Thank you for your effort and I hope the porting goes smoothly!

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

where can i download Geppetto for ds4.5 64 bit? :red:
    i need this!
    dazstudio is not applicable to do animation. >:(
    and animate plugin is only useful if you use the motions made for animate. :ohh:

Post edited by creativemodelsbe on
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

gravity0 said:
    It's for 4.5 64bit... However the environment is set up also to compile 32bit. :) ok... I am going to make something good out of it. Expect a release soon (and access to source code of course):

can you create some IK / FK switch setup with it?

edited December 1969

I won't provide an ETA at the moment. I have to fix some problems that come out with the port and then we'll se about request. If you wish I can upload a not stable version.

• Artemia SalinaArtemia Salina Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hey all,

While my situation hasn't changed here, I have found a little time to play with Geppetto again (I'm experimenting with using DzControllers to non-destructively add small amounts of randomness to parameter's values to give figures more natural motions and to simulate handheld cameras, earthquakes, etc..) I have nothing to release now and probably won't in the foreseeable future, but I thought I'd post here about the problems that prevent Geppetto from working in DS4.X.

Geppetto is designed to work at the parameter level. It allows you to load individual parameters to be edited. Internally, the way Geppetto does this is to listen for the selectionStateChanged() signal in each parameter in the currently selected node. Each time the user selects a different node Geppetto gathers up all of the node's parameters and connects to their selectionStateChanged() signal. The user must then click on the parameter's name in the Parameters tab, causing that parameter to be selected and thus triggering it's selectionStateChanged() signal. And this is reciprocal; once a parameter has been loaded into Geppetto it can be selected from Geppetto's list or the parameters tab, which causes it to be highlighted both in Geppetto and in the parameters tab, and this gives a quick indication that you are working on the desired parameter.

The trouble with this scheme in DS4.x (the last time I checked) is that it's version of a Parameters tab no longer allows users to "select" parameters, so there is no way for a user to tell Geppetto to load a given parameter.

Unless DS4.5 has gone back to the old behaviour of DS3 regarding being able to select parameters then Geppetto won't work as is. The only way around this problem is to write a new parameter tab that does change the selection state of parameters (if indeed parameters still have a selection state at all!), or to mimic the Material Selection tab in Geppetto for node parameters. I rarely use the Material Selection tab that I wrote because it is so tedious to use. Unfortunately I suspect that the same will be true of a parameters tab that works the same way, but that may be the only workaround.

Anyway, if my situation changes here I may get back into developing Geppetto (only for DS3), but at this point I just don't have the time.

Regards,

Artemia

• ViRiXViRiX Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Any news on this?

Just found out I can't erase key frames... WOW COME ON DAZ SERIOUSLY!?!? Why even bother putting them in. That's like having a text editor where you can only write letters... not copy, paste, move, or erase them.

edited December 1969

Hey all,

While my situation hasn't changed here, I have found a little time to play with Geppetto again (I'm experimenting with using DzControllers to non-destructively add small amounts of randomness to parameter's values to give figures more natural motions and to simulate handheld cameras, earthquakes, etc..) I have nothing to release now and probably won't in the foreseeable future, but I thought I'd post here about the problems that prevent Geppetto from working in DS4.X.

Geppetto is designed to work at the parameter level. It allows you to load individual parameters to be edited. Internally, the way Geppetto does this is to listen for the selectionStateChanged() signal in each parameter in the currently selected node. Each time the user selects a different node Geppetto gathers up all of the node's parameters and connects to their selectionStateChanged() signal. The user must then click on the parameter's name in the Parameters tab, causing that parameter to be selected and thus triggering it's selectionStateChanged() signal. And this is reciprocal; once a parameter has been loaded into Geppetto it can be selected from Geppetto's list or the parameters tab, which causes it to be highlighted both in Geppetto and in the parameters tab, and this gives a quick indication that you are working on the desired parameter.

The trouble with this scheme in DS4.x (the last time I checked) is that it's version of a Parameters tab no longer allows users to "select" parameters, so there is no way for a user to tell Geppetto to load a given parameter.

Unless DS4.5 has gone back to the old behaviour of DS3 regarding being able to select parameters then Geppetto won't work as is. The only way around this problem is to write a new parameter tab that does change the selection state of parameters (if indeed parameters still have a selection state at all!), or to mimic the Material Selection tab in Geppetto for node parameters. I rarely use the Material Selection tab that I wrote because it is so tedious to use. Unfortunately I suspect that the same will be true of a parameters tab that works the same way, but that may be the only workaround.

Anyway, if my situation changes here I may get back into developing Geppetto (only for DS3), but at this point I just don't have the time.

Regards,

Artemia

Unfortunately I have not much time right now too since I am working on my thesis. I will try to experiment a bit however. Do not worry :)

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,873
    edited December 1969

The project is dead?
    Judging by the post date it's a long time...