Subsurface Scattering Tutorials?

WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
edited December 1969 in New Users

Are there any good Subsurface Scattering Tutorials anywhere please?

I've tried searching the forum but had no success!

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

SSS for Skin? Or just SSS in general? Daz Studio or Poser 9/2012? What exactly do you want to know about SSS?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1561/ by RawArt is a good start.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link.

I'm using Daz4 and I want to learn about using SSS on MAT files for clothing. I think this is what is needed to make silk and satin like materials.

edited December 1969

Well I have a basic understanding of SSS and what each channel does and how to use it on skin but silk and satin is a new one for me.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

SSS is quite an in-depth topic, one which despite my many experiments I have very little information on. Omnifreaker's has an extremely basic overview as part of his UberSurface / HSS pages on the site, but there are more options than are described, many of which I'm at a loss as to what effect they have, such as Subsurface Group or Scale.

The problem is I don't think I've ever found a decent tutorial on the subject. The link Szark provides offers some nice settings, but unfortunately it also assumes you have SSS maps (which 90% of figures sadly don't include) for figures. It also only provides a one-off setting, which might not work for all situations, certainly not in your situation for use on cloth.

Every time I've tried to search for a topic on subsurface scatter, it largely tries to describe it with pure maths and no practical application. I've yet to come across one which applies both aspects to get results.

edited December 1969

I have promised to do an in depth tutorial to explain what each channel does and why but no one receipe will suit all surfaces including skin as most skin maps have different colour saturation which can alter what needs adjusting. What I hoped for was an explaination so you could go and set it up yourself knowing what each channel does and why. BUT alas like all well laid plans my main machine went pop on new years eve so I can't test and learn much of all let a lone make an tutoral like this. It will take a few months to complete as I need to learn a lot more and I will needs to do a lot of test renders and render for the tutorial. Plus it will be even longer until I get a new workstation.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited February 2013

Well I have found a document that tells me what all the different sections of the surface tab are for but it doesn't help much.

There must be something out there that can help me.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Well I have found a document that tells me what all the different sections of the surface tab are for but it doesn't help much.

There must be something out there that can help me.

Out of interest, do you think you could link to the document or post some info on what the settings actually affect? It would be a great help to me as I've been looking for exactly this sort of information for a while now.