Giant Ants?

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any sources for giant (or small but detailed enough to be blown up) ant figures? I have some renders of people fighting off giant ants in mind that I would like to make, but have not been able to find anything suitable...?

I know the Daz store here has Andre the Ant (but it's a cartoon), and the AN Terra product (but those are weird blue alien-looking Ants) - I am really looking for something that looks more like Earth ants.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Turbosquid has ants, ant spiders ... all kinds of stuff both free and $. click here

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757
    edited February 2013

Actually, if you're looking at doing still shots, the basic DAZ Ant isn't too bad once you replace the existing textures. http://www.daz3d.com/ant Here's a quickie render I did with a leather and snake-skin shader combination stuck in StoneMason's Dark Alley.

And if you're doing animation... change creatures to something easier now, while you still can!

Daz_Ant_test.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by Cybersox on
  • edited December 1969

Turbosquid has ants, ant spiders ... all kinds of stuff both free and $. click here

Thanks, i'll check it out.

• edited December 1969

Actually, if you're looking at doing still shots, the basic DAZ Ant isn't too bad once you replace the existing textures. http://www.daz3d.com/ant Here's a quickie render I did with a leather and snake-skin shader combination stuck in StoneMason's Dark Alley.

And if you're doing animation... change creatures to something easier now, while you still can!

:-) Just stills, thankfully, I haven't moved onto animation yet. Cheers for the pointer.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

This one is small - but free: http://www.fast3d.co.uk/ant/ant.htm

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited February 2013

The AntFarm (who else?) offers Frida's Ant Fernando at a relatively modest price. It's a little weird-looking, but could be retextured to look more terrestrial.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • edited December 1969

angusm said:
    The AntFarm (who else?) offers Frida's Ant Fernando at a relatively modest price. It's a little weird-looking, but could be retextured to look more terrestrial.

Thanks - couldn't believe how much turbosquid are charging for Ants! :-0

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited February 2013

I have used this one. http://www.daz3d.com/a-n-terra

Run_for_It.jpg
    683 x 384 - 170K
    Post edited by WitchStorm on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

angusm said:

Thanks - couldn't believe how much turbosquid are charging for Ants! :-0

I always sort the search results by price, then the free ones show first ;-)
    And yes, some of their models get very expensive. There was once upon a time a free item in there, sadly it was only in Max and I think I deleted it because I couldn't find anything to open it. It went up to $10,000 in price. Seriously. So if something in there is free and you think you want it, snag it fast.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757
    edited March 2013

Man, ideas can sure be contagious. I received the Mars Attacks artbook* as a gift a few weeks ago, and looking through it brought this thread back to mind... so I pulled out the scene I did at the top of this thread, added another layer of shaders to the lowly DAZ Ant, and knocked out a little tribute to THEM. This is a straight out of DAZ render, with no postwork except to convert to jpeg. (Man, I LOVE DS4.)

*The CARDS, not the movie.

Ant_Bait_Aiko_5_med.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 852K
    Post edited by Cybersox on