Gen X Newbie and confused :'(

dee_dubdee_dub Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I want to just transfer some expressions for V4 and make them work for Genesis but I'm confused on the process. I have Gen X and also the V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis. Can anybody help with a simple and quick step by step process.

I'm sure it's easy but I just don't get it.. I think I'm overwhelmed here in this new world of Daz Studio and everything I read is starting to blur into each other. I don't want to give up on Daz Studio for the 10th time. I originally picked up Daz or Poser almost 10 years ago and kept giving up, but I just want to keep at it this time and persevere so that eventually it's start making sense and become easier.

Also can I make V4 and M4 poses work better with Genesis figure with Gen X? It seems that most poses generally work but sometimes the hands for example just don't meet.

Thanks for your time, dd

Comments

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

GenX is not going to solve all of your issues with Gen4 poses applied to Genesis. You may want to take a look at PoseMaster (http://www.daz3d.com/posemaster-for-daz-studio, http://www.youtube.com/user/cridgit3d?feature=watch) as a starting point. I have had some success in using GenX in transfering Gen4 expression poses that did not work at all before doing the translation but I have had more success with PoseMaster, in general. I just wish the batch transfer did not require user interaction between each pose transfered....

• dee_dubdee_dub Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't even figure out how to do the basics. I open it up and try to read the instructions and just don't get it. So I don't even know what you're talking about because I can't even get to first base. Thanks I do appreciate your attempt. :)

edited December 1969

Alright. I responded so I am going to try and help if I can.

Start by locating the V4/M4 expression that you wish to translate in your Content Library tab.

On GenX, select the Presets tab. Make sure that you have the correct Figure selected. For example, if it is for M4, select Michael 4 on the Figure drop down near the bottom.

You can then drag and drop the .fc2/.pz2 files directly onto the GenX window or you can press the Add Pose button, if you wish.

As for the Preset folder path, this is your preference. I have a folder set up called Studio/My Library/Poses/GenX Translations/. I usually translate to this folder and then move them after testing.

As for the other settings, check Morphs, Scalings, and Eye transforms. For expression, leave Shaping morphs unchecked. Ask someone else about Fixing controllers.

Press Translate.

Now navigate to the folder where you told GenX to place the translations. You should see .duf files with icons and names that match those from your .fc2/.pz2 files.

Run a test to insure that it is working. Make sure you have Genesis selected in your scene tab.

For non-expression poses, I still recommend checking out the PoseMaster scripts. If you do a search on PoseMaster, you will find information as to why this solution typically works better than some others.

However, even with PoseMaster, some tweaking will likely need to be done depending on the original pose you started with and the Genesis figures that you translate to.

I just ran a test and it worked fine here. I hope it works for you. Let me know if you need more info and I will try to help.

edited December 1969

artistb3 thanks for the info :) Much appreciated. I will look at in soon. Never knowing when one will get a reply I went to the next thing I was trying to figure out. It's all over the place when you're a new user, but little things are kind of making sense.

thanks for your prompt reply. I'll be back to this thread soon enough.

dd

edited December 1969

I've followed the steps over and over and it's just not working. I tested the expressions on my Victoria 4.2 and it worked. I also tested it with all the Victoria figure options in the Figure drop down near the bottom. Of course I also tested the converted expressions on Victoria 4.2 again to see what would happen and nothing happened which made me think that some type of conversion did happen. I'm stumped :(

Is there a step missing? I checked Morphs, Scalings and Eye transforms and un-checked the Shaping morphs and Fixing controllers

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited February 2013

Many times expressions are just preset dial spins of morphs in the Gen4 base figure and Morphs ++ packs. Those morph packs needs to have been GenX'd over to Genesis first. Have you done that? It's pretty simple to do.

In the GenX tab:

1. Load Figure: Victoria 4.2.cr2
    2. Apply Pose: INJ Base V4.pz2 and INJ Morphs++ V4.pz2 at a minimum
    3. Click on the Select Button and select "Transfer All:On" and box to the left set to "Selected Morphs"
    4. Next row: Victoria 4 then press the Transfer button

The morphs will be created in \My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\D3D Gen X\Victoria 4. Load a fresh Genesis and click on one of the GenX'd converted expression presets and it should work.

I posted a short tutorial on converting expression presets too. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17033/#250991

Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

I have INJ Base V4.pz2 but don't have INJ Morphs++ V4.pz2. Is that something I need? Or is that an example of morphs or expressions?

edited December 1969

Read on the forums that all I needed was Gen X and the V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis. Which I have.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Do your expressions work on V4 without Morphs++?

Morphs++ is a morph pack for V4 (there is one for M4 as well), and a lot of morph creators use these packs to create expressins and face motphs. It will say on the Product Page if these are required or not for the expression pack you are buying.

If your expressions work with just the Base morphs for V4, then that is all you need to tranfer accross I believe.

Make sure to follow Lindsey's method, but just leave out the Morphs++ part if your expressions don;t require them.

What expressions are these, and if I have them, I can maybe help more, as I have GenX and the V4 shapes etc.

edited December 1969

Hi JimmyC they're i13_FreshExpressions which I purchased from Renderosity. I tried them on the Victoria 4.2 base and they worked fine. I also followed Lindsey's method without the Morphs++ and it never left anything along such a path or series of folders.

I also have The Horror for Victoria 4 which I purchased from Daz and just checked them now to see if they worked on the Victoria 4.2 figure and they worked fine.

edited December 1969

First of all, what are you using in the GenX pane? There are two options, one is Morphs, the other is Presets, which one are you using?

Presets just change a lot of sliders that are available in the Base morphs package in your case with the Rendo ones, so you need to follow Lindsey's link to using Presets that she gave. If you load V4, then apply any of your Rendo expressions, do they move some of the Base sliders in the Parameters pane? If so, they are Presets, and taht is what you should be using.

The other problem that I can see is the Paths. If you have recently used the DIM to download your content, you may not have a My Library folder any more, and you will need to change the path inside GenX to the new one Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library instead.

edited December 1969

Coolio!! I got it working now. Question: Can I drag in items in any order? Or do I have to add the Victoria Base 1st, then the other morphs and then lastly the Expressions?

Thanks for all the infos and the patience, dd :D

edited December 1969

It may not matter what order you load them in, but I would do it the way you are suggesting, just in case. V4 first, then the Base morphs, then the Expressions.

Let me know how you get on.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    artistb3 said:
    GenX is not going to solve all of your issues with Gen4 poses applied to Genesis. You may want to take a look at PoseMaster (http://www.daz3d.com/posemaster-for-daz-studio, http://www.youtube.com/user/cridgit3d?feature=watch) as a starting point. I have had some success in using GenX in transfering Gen4 expression poses that did not work at all before doing the translation but I have had more success with PoseMaster, in general. I just wish the batch transfer did not require user interaction between each pose transfered....

The popup dialog was a limitation in an earlier version of DAZ Studio and has been fixed. If you're on DS4.5 you should reset your PoseMaster download and you won't have to clickity-click for every pose. Works a charm now :-)

cridgit,

This is really good to hear! Thanks.