Still waiting

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    pssst Blender does fluid simulations

When I open Blender, my whole body shakes violently and I feel sick to my stomach and dizzy. :ahhh:

The UI makes me want to run out the door screaming, absolutely no part of it is intuitive, and the learning curve is like climbing the Alps. :bug:

That said, it's pretty powerful, but honestly if I really want it that bad, I'll pay the $99 for Houdini Apprentice HD and be done with it. :-S

I've tried Blender over and over and over and we just do NOT get along at all.

ah interesting, did not know about the free trial version... downloading it now.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

When I open Blender, my whole body shakes violently and I feel sick to my stomach and dizzy. :ahhh:

The UI makes me want to run out the door screaming, absolutely no part of it is intuitive, and the learning curve is like climbing the Alps. :bug:

That said, it's pretty powerful, but honestly if I really want it that bad, I'll pay the $99 for Houdini Apprentice HD and be done with it. :-S

ah interesting, did not know about the free trial version... downloading it now.

Yeah - Apprentice is a great way to learn, and HD is good for producing portfolio pieces. Best VFX deal if you're not planning on selling your work. :)

The video tutorials are nice as well, lots of free stuff to get you started.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ManStan said:
    New code today. woop. :long:

I see they are clearing out the bug track. I got a notice about my gripe about unsorted parameters from, get this, 16 months ago. Love the solution "works as intended". Took them 16 months to come to this conclusion? And typical for DAZ "works as intended" means poorly.

And for those dancing a jig because they see movement in the bug tracker, please remember DAZ clears out he bug tracker periodically, doesn't mean anything is being done with carrara.

you got news then - now for the big announcement !!!!!!!!!!
    coming today :roll:

SMITH MICRO TO PURCHASE CARRARA!! :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

..or something like that.. :P

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

Yeah - Apprentice is a great way to learn, and HD is good for producing portfolio pieces. Best VFX deal if you're not planning on selling your work. :)

ah HD you are paying for a yearly license, still works out to less than $10 a month provided its $99 a year for the license, and not the $325 for the workstation seat...

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

ah HD you are paying for a yearly license, still works out to less than $10 a month provided its $99 a year for the license, and not the $325 for the workstation seat...

heck I would learn Blender first :cheese:

edited December 1969

its $99 a year, for the apprentice HD version,

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Now for a brief intermission.

We had sort of a blizzard here yesterday, 10" in 6 hours. Snow hasn't fallen around here like that for a long time. I was having connectivity issues so got in to playing with carrara. A fairly simple staging, but it's wasn't like I just sat here and worked on it lol
    This is about as stock a render as it gets, Just HDRI for lighting. Most of the time was spent fussing with V4 textures on genesis; I get a seem at the thigh every time. High rez elite texture with bump. Low rez render.

HDtest36.jpg
    640 x 480 - 49K
    Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

well going to scratch houdini off my play with list,

edited February 2013

duplicate..

Post edited by Rareth on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Stan :)

I get a seem at the thigh every time. High rez elite texture with bump. Low rez render.

is this in the C8.5 beta ?

if so,... try changing the texture map mode from "Fast mip-map" back to sampling.

Andy :)

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

I had a similar issue lately because the intensity of the spec maps were different in the two zones. I was using the Lana texture.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

I get a seem at the thigh every time. High rez elite texture with bump. Low rez render.

if so,... try changing the texture map mode from "Fast mip-map" back to sampling.

Could you toss me a clue where this is please. I've hunted every where I thought it would be and it ain't

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    3DAGE said:

Could you toss me a clue where this is please. I've hunted every where I thought it would be and it ain't
    Texture room, look in the texture shader, where you would choose maps and such.
  • Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

Hmm, five days to go.

And DAZ missed their usual announcement-scheme (ten minutes before office closing time on a friday afternoon).

This is going to be exciting ... :)

• SadotSadot Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Waiting waiting

• RendernowRendernow Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

and there's no leap year 29th so days are really slipping away..........but really what's the fuss-------it cannot be that exciting or they would have spilled the beans already---

rich

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Probably Feb. 28, 11:57pm Mountain Time?

edited December 1969

Thanks 3DAGE and araneldon, that got it. But now the skin looks a bit mottled or slightly pixelated.

edited December 1969

Wow ManStan... That is an excellent render. You really did a great lighting job. It's incredibly believable to me... I truly had to do a second take to realize it was a render, not a photo. Great job! Man!

edited December 1969

I'd love to copy that and put it in the info page if I could

edited December 1969

Wow

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    For the life of me I don't know why DAZ isn't motivated to do anything with carrara or keep users in the loop :-/

The good folk at DAZ have way better things to do than worry about such things. Why just the other day there was a major ballywho regarding how sumo wrestlers wipe their behinds after number 2. As to why this issue isn't resolved in the forum no one could say but there was lot of discussion as to how leprechauns will be worked into the marketing campaign for the next major character release (V6 isn't due for another few months yet but the idea of a Curly 5 has been bandied about).

Have no fear, as soon as a fresh batch of interns from 3D University are brought in, work on Carrara will resume.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    Why just the other day there was a major ballywho regarding how sumo wrestlers wipe their behinds after number 2.

It's my understanding that many can't and don't. The "sumos in training" do that for them.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Wow ManStan... That is an excellent render. You really did a great lighting job. It's incredibly believable to me... I truly had to do a second take to realize it was a render, not a photo. Great job! Man!

While the enthusiasm for Carrara is noted you shouldn't let it cloud your vision. That image was very obviously not a photo. A good render but a far stretch from a photo.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2013

While the enthusiasm for Carrara is noted you shouldn't let it cloud your vision. That image was very obviously not a photo. A good render but a far stretch from a photo.

Hold on there, cowboy...

Never discount the distinct possibility that a large majority of folks here might actually have no clue what "good" is. The only qualifications to be a hobbyist in this field are, well, owning a computer. He may actually think it looks like a photo, so let's not discredit something he might honestly believe.

Just tryin' to stick up for my buddy... :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Then again...this is a CG forum, not a camera club.

• 3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

While the enthusiasm for Carrara is noted you shouldn't let it cloud your vision. That image was very obviously not a photo. A good render but a far stretch from a photo

Yes very nice render. But the background was a photo, yes?

I'm finding when I put Carrara Trees in a scene, they look phony. They're nice models, but I think its the shader. Its too green and
    uniform. Does anyone have better shaders for the trees? { or a way to improve them? }

thanks

Post edited by 3dtoday on
  • 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Art is indeed in the eye of the beholder ---so if one thinks whatever --guess what --to them it is whatever. Smiles . It works the other way too --you make something you think is cool but no one sees it the same way. And a major disappointment comes.

Obviously, the more training one has , the more images one sees , the more critical the eye becomes ------all our perceptions change.

And did Daz put a year on that February ? just checking.

edited December 1969

I don't do photo real, not going to try. I like realistic, I like it when people have to look twice, but can easily see it is rendered; on the second look. My point with the picture was I got that quality with default settings and HDRI. As I said most of my time was spent setting up the V4 textures on Genesis.

Or that with all the other issues I have with Carrara, the render engine is the least of them. Content compatibility is a none issue for me, even with genesis.

I like genesis but have all I need for it. I've bought what i am going to which was just what I need to make use of my probably $1k worth of content. I use genesis a lot, may even replace characters in scenes with genesis. I love that I don't have to repose to hide posing mesh issues.

Most of the issues I have with carrara have been on going since 6. Most of the advancements and feature have been content specific.
    We need soft body physics for multiple reasons. I have been begging for dynamic clothes since DAZ axed transposer. I have been crying for better atmospherics since I got it.

So here we are, waiting for an announcement that will probably amount to diddly squat.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

3dtoday said:

While the enthusiasm for Carrara is noted you shouldn't let it cloud your vision. That image was very obviously not a photo. A good render but a far stretch from a photo

Yes very nice render. But the background was a photo, yes?

I'm finding when I put Carrara Trees in a scene, they look phony. They're nice models, but I think its the shader. Its too green and
    uniform. Does anyone have better shaders for the trees? { or a way to improve them? }

thanks

I usually open the shader and de-saturate the colors myself. When I'm done (and if I remember ;-) ) I save the corrected shader back to the browser. I always replace the trunk shader as they invariably look like crap, except the ones that come with Howie's trees. Those are very nice.