Are we able to upload avatars?

TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I can't get my new one to upload. It's 100 x 100 pixels and is only 5kb, but it keeps saying that there was a problem uploading my image.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Avatars and banners are broken atm. No estimation on when it will be fixed

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

IS my main Issue right now. Jade has had more work.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Christmas is long over...I don't want to be the Grinch any more (well, for now at least).

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Christmas is long over...I don't want to be the Grinch any more (well, for now at least).

Look on the bright side. At least everyone knows that your heart grew three sizes that day...

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Given that DAZ is a technology company, it seems odd that they can't run a simple fourm?!

1 - change username isn't currently working
    2 - upload avatar isn't currently working

Come on guys!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

Only an Admin of a higher grade can change someones User name.

It has been noted in several threads that indeed Avatars cannot at the moment be uploaded or changed, and that this will be sorted out at some time in the future.

If you would like to change your user name, then drop a PM to Richard Haseltine, giving him a couple of alternatives, in case the one you want is already in use, and also the email address which you use to log in with.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Only an Admin of a higher grade can change someones User name.

It has been noted in several threads that indeed Avatars cannot at the moment be uploaded or changed, and that this will be sorted out at some time in the future.

If you would like to change your user name, then drop a PM to Richard Haseltine, giving him a couple of alternatives, in case the one you want is already in use, and also the email address which you use to log in with.

Thanks. I know about changing usernames by pm ing Richard (already done that :)

I was just commenting that it's not very impressive that these two fundamentals are not working in a forum run by a tech company. The whole "forum" thing is pretty standard practice nowadays, I'd have thought.

Oh well.

edited December 1969

DAZ 3D is not the only site where members are not allowed to change their forum ID I can assure you, and the Message in your control panel does say

The administrator does not allow usernames to be changed

The Avatar problem will be sorted out, given time.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    DAZ 3D is not the only site where members are not allowed to change their forum ID I can assure you, and the Message in your control panel does say

Translation: "soon".

edited December 1969

You are not supposed to use that word. I am told it tends to put the mockers on things

edited February 2013

chohole said:
    You are not supposed to use that word. I am told it tends to put the mockers on things

The problem with the avatars is that for some reason, everyone thinks they are a requirement for a working website...they are a bonus. I belong to plenty of sites, that for one reason or another don't have them...at all. Just because the closet lightbulb is burned out doesn't mean your electric service is not working...I don't really care how long it takes to fix them, it's such a low priority 'problem'...there are other things the web team needs to concentrate on. (Maybe I won't have to change back to the Grinch, next Christmas... :P )

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:

The problem with the avatars is that for some reason, everyone thinks they are a requirement for a working website...they are a bonus. I belong to plenty of sites, that for one reason or another don't have them...at all. Just because the closet lightbulb is burned out doesn't mean your electric service is not working...I don't really care how long it takes to fix them, it's such a low priority 'problem'...there are other things the web team needs to concentrate on. (Maybe I won't have to change back to the Grinch, next Christmas... :P )

Foo on Cindy-Loo Who. I prefer being Scrooge before he was corrupted by those spirits.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited February 2013

great...i've been trying to edit and reedit my new gif avatar in photoshop and i thought im doing something wrong when i saw the error on uploading avatar. (according to req. 100x100 and max 100kb)

So...a ~15 years old romanian kid can hack the NASA's server but no one can fix a minor issue on Daz forum ? How complex can be this avatar issue ? :down:

Post edited by cris333 on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2013

cris333 said:
    So...a ~15 years old romanian kid can hack the NASA's server but no one can fix a minor issue on Daz forum ? How complex can be this avatar issue ? :down:

Don't forget that DAZ3D isn't a Fortune 500 company - they don't have an essentially-unlimited number of staff working on their site.

Given a choice between "get the coder to fix the avatars in the forums" and "get the coder to fix a bug in Studio / DIM / DSON / Bryce / etc," I suspect most of us can live without new avatars...

(And given a choice between "fix the avatars" and "write a chapter of the manual," I could live with no avatars at all.)

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

Avatars, banners and all that other 'eye candy' are 'bonus' items...they don't have to be enabled and on a number of forums I belong to, they aren't. They take up server resources and lots of places don't bother with them to save the resources for important things...like the actual content/discussions.

Doesn't bother me much if they totally disappear...

edited December 1969

THe forums were terribly bland and boring without Avatars. We could hear the cheer in the Mod room when they discovered how to turn them on.

I think a very large percentage on the froum members want them, judging by the feedback since the system went screwy uploading them.

• Merlin StudiosMerlin Studios Posts: 317
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I changed my avatar over Christmas to my Anglo Saxon helmet wearing a Santa hat. I didn't want to incur the wrath of the bad luck fairies after the 12 days were up so I reverted to no avatar :)

ASChristmas.jpg
    200 x 200 - 28K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    THe forums were terribly bland and boring without Avatars.

It certainly does add some character and colour. I wish more of the regular crew would get their avatars back (or maybe they have but I'm just not seeing them in my browser).

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    chohole said:
    THe forums were terribly bland and boring without Avatars.

It certainly does add some character and colour. I wish more of the regular crew would get their avatars back (or maybe they have but I'm just not seeing them in my browser).

No, it's because avatar upload is temporarily broken :(

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I was wondering if I could change my user name from Ledhead to Lardass, I can't seem to stop snacking at night.