DigiSprawl's Victoria 8 Review

Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
edited June 2017 in The Commons

I have lost sleep and put way too many hours into playing with the new girl, but I have had a blast and now I present to you all, my review of Victoria and Genesis 8. Feel free to disagree, discuss, offer feedback and share your own stories.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

Nice read, but nothing new I hadn't gotten from the forums already. I haven't jumped on the bandwagon and was hoping for more incentives to, but didn't see any. Thanks for the time invested and the review though.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Nice review.  I enjoyed reading it.  I have to say that overall I agree that G8 and V8 are nice additions to the DAZ lineup and I am really liking the new Power Pose templates.  There is a lot of possibilities there to work with if one takes the time to explore it fully.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

Thanks for reading, and I'm stoked you thought it was a good read. I'm pretty happy with the piece, but I am glad to have it done.

@FSNCDesigns: my biggest incentive to getting on-board with G8 was having mostly skipped G7. I bought a few choice bits and pieces, but I've mostly been using Genesis 2, which I still think is a pretty rad figure.

@Knittingmommy: I have to admit I haven't actually used the Power pose tool before, so I'm discovering it for the first time and loving it.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I've used Power Pose on previous generations' figures and it does a pretty good job as a supplement to the other posing tools.  I like using it.  However, the biggest improvement, I think, was the face template.  Not only does it do posing but it also does morphs.  I was playing with it a bit today and had a really good morph for a face punch impact morph.  Awesome stuff!  I'm really liking the new facial rigging for V8.  I think it's really stellar and we've needed something like this for a very long time.  As someone who loves posing but is horrible at posing facial expressions, I'm having a blast because I've had some of the best facial expressions I've managed to make on my own to date.  

That's interesting, I didn't bother checking out the face rigging. I noticed Genesis 3 had a lot of new facial bones, and I noticed the same with Genesis 8 and didn't investigate further. The PP basically makes working with them practical. I found it much too fiddly with G3
  • SPACECHIMPSPACECHIMP Posts: 212

I enjoyed your review ,Thanks.Really helps to have all the information laid out in one place,Thanks

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,328
    edited June 2017

Great overview. You pointed out a lot of things that I had not checked yet.

What about the

Victoria 8 Eyebrows Prop

and the

6 Make-up Options without Eyebrow

It is not the first character to feature such options but still feels like worth mentioning.

The fibermesh eyebrows, make-up options without eyebrows and the now separate eye lashes open up a lot of customization options.

Hopefully this catches on for other characters as well.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Thanks for this review - it fills in some gaps that I hadn't picked up from the forum discussions. I'm still on the fence, however, because I'm not sure that the gains over G3 are worth the losses due to transfer of content from G3 to G8 (and I really don't intend to re-stock a whole new wardrobe/hair collection/morph set any time soon). Contrary to many opinions here, I actually like the more natural look of G8/V8 but then I never used G7/V7 in her default form either so that doesn't sway me. I'd be interested to know what is the best way of applying the improvements in IRay skin surfaces to G3 characters so a blog entry on that would be most welcome if you have any ideas.

Anyhow, G8 is stil waiting in my DIM for download - all I'm really dithering about is whether to open my wallet for the morph packages while they still have the "New" discount.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2017
    marble said:

Thanks for this review - it fills in some gaps that I hadn't picked up from the forum discussions. I'm still on the fence, however, because I'm not sure that the gains over G3 are worth the losses due to transfer of content from G3 to G8 (and I really don't intend to re-stock a whole new wardrobe/hair collection/morph set any time soon). Contrary to many opinions here, I actually like the more natural look of G8/V8 but then I never used G7/V7 in her default form either so that doesn't sway me. I'd be interested to know what is the best way of applying the improvements in IRay skin surfaces to G3 characters so a blog entry on that would be most welcome if you have any ideas.

Anyhow, G8 is stil waiting in my DIM for download - all I'm really dithering about is whether to open my wallet for the morph packages while they still have the "New" discount.

I think you looking for more problems than there are.

I've not had issues with clothes or hair yet; heeled shoes do take a bit or work.

Morphs do transfer, although I'll be happier with the 'real thing' when they appear.

Poses work, so far very well; minor adjustment that seems to be down to the A-pose; tbh, I'd at least consider G8 for that alone. :) Coupled with the eyebrow and eyelash changes.

I for one wont buy any characters that don't have an eyebrowless option - sure I can do it myself, but why should I? (Not impressed that the two additional characters in the pro bundle didn't include them.)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    nicstt said:
    marble said:

I've not had issues with clothes or hair yet; heeled shoes do take a bit or work.

Morphs do transfer, although I'll be happier with the 'real thing' when they appear.

Poses work, so far very well; minor adjustment that seems to be down to the A-pose; tbh, I'd at least consider G8 for that alone. :) Coupled with the eyebrow and eyelash changes.

I for one wont buy any characters that don't have an eyebrowless option - sure I can do it myself, but why should I? (Not impressed that the two additional characters in the pro bundle didn't include them.)

Yeah, I was bummed about that as well.

Laurie

nicstt said:
    marble said:

I've finally installed her AND I bit the bullet and bought the morph packs (body and face - not expressions). I also downloaded DavidGB's pose-correction scripts which seem to work very well. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the REDZ helper that I just downloaded. I'll busy myself reading the PDF and see if I can understand it. I also found a script for applying the New IRay features (double-lobe, whatever) to G3 so it has been a busy day so far.

edited June 2017

Hey everyone! Thanks for checking out the review. I'm glad to see it generating some discussion.

@ linvanchene: To be honest, I completely forgot to try out the new eyebrows. I have just had a play around, while I was tweaking skin textures and shaders, and I'm pretty happy with them. They beat bump maps, that's for sure. The difference is subtle for all but high res closeups, so they probably won't get a lot of use from me. I have to admit I fail to see the benefit of having the eyelashes as a seperate mesh.

@marble: This is a great idea for a tutorial. Again, if I'm honest I don't fully understand the new SSS options. I would have liked the option to use control and colour maps, as the texture slot for the transmitted colour seems to do nothing, and as far as I can tell has not done anything since Iray was introduced. Oh... I see your last post, glad you found some info on what you were looking for. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone that has checked out the review. Here's the results of the skin tests. The mesh eyebrows were used here too, and I think they add a nice touch.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on

With reference to what I mentioned earlier about some tips on the new IRay features, I came across this in another thread in case anyone missed it there:

I hadn't seen this. Thanks ^_^