Luminance Preset Help?

3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
edited May 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hi fellow Carrarians,

I am having trouble with Luminance light Presets. I haven’t found any tutorials on it, and I’m surprised because it seems either finicky or
hard to work with. The first issue was it didn’t seem to want to be added to a scene, but rather always create a new scene. Somehow
I got around that, on this first test, not even sure how. The next issue is trying to move the entire apparatus of lights. I cant seem to get a handle
on that { pun intended}, either. Also how do you replace a preset, with another one? { Please bear in mind, I’m new to Carrara as well }

I suppose one could contact the vendor as well? However, I don’t know how thats done, if appropriate.

Thanks for help.

Post edited by 3dtoday on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

3dtoday said:
    Hi fellow Carrarians,

I am having trouble with Luminance light Presets. I haven't found any tutorials on it, and I'm surprised because it seems either finicky or
    hard to work with. The first issue was it didn't seem to want to be added to a scene, but rather always create a new scene. Somehow
    I got around that, on this first test, not even sure how. The next issue is trying to move the entire apparatus of lights. I cant seem to get a handle
    on that { pun intended}, either. Also how do you replace a preset, with another one? { Please bear in mind, I'm new to Carrara as well }

I suppose one could contact the vendor as well? However, I don't know how thats done, if appropriate.

Thanks for help.

I'm not sure what the product is. Do you have a link?

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2013

Maybe this one?
    http://www.daz3d.com/luminance-lighting-pack-for-carrara

The original release thread with some more info:
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=145698&view=next

The docs page:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/azproduct/10536
    A little broken since Daz is upgrading...

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

I'm not finding a preset named "Luminance" either.
    However, when you say that it always goes into a new scene, try dragging the file into the Instance Tab (the panel on the right of the screen where you see your list of objects - under or on to the word "Scene"
    This will bring the preset into the existing scene - rather than opening a new one.

If you want to move all lights together, try selecting all of them in the Instances Tab and hit 'Ctrl G', or go to Edit > Group
    If you still don't see the translation handles, try Edit > Center hotpoint
    This group should make it possible to move all lights together.

Alternatively, you could select one of the lights, makes certain that "Show in 3d view" is checked. If the name of the light is greyed out - this is your culprit. I uncheck this box on lights all the time - once I have them set the way I want them.

If you still can't find the light (to move it) select the light . Switch your view to the Directors camera (upper left of view screen) and type 0
    this is the number "0" not a capital o

This will instantly zoom to the light, but will often be too close to see it. So make sure your "Move" tool is selected and zoom backwards until you can see it. Sometimes you may have to zoom back a lot more, and pan around, to figure out where your scene is from here.

One last thing; It the light you select is a "Distant" light, you can simply Edit > Send to Origin which will place the light at coordinates 0,0,0
    Distant light are not affected by position, just rotation - so you can do that with them without changing their effect on the scene.
    Sun Light is aimed using the sky dome illustration in the Realistic Sky editor.

Hope this either helps, or at least directs you to a more specific question :)

Dartanbeck :coolhmm:

edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Maybe this one?
    http://www.daz3d.com/luminance-lighting-pack-for-carrara

The original release thread with some more info:
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=145698&view=next

The docs page:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/azproduct/10536
    A little broken since Daz is upgrading...

If this is what you're talking about, look in the directory where Carrara is installed - default being Local Drive > Program Files (Program Files (86) for 32 bit Carrara on 64bit Win) > Daz3d > Carrara 8
    Open the ReadMe's folder. Find the product and open the ReadMe. DimensionTheory usually equips his products with a wealth of valuable info regarding the product and various ways to work with it. Find his Tutorial info (often a pdf, sometimes videos too) as they will be an invaluable learning aid in all of your Carrara endeavors. Jeffrey Felt (DimensionTheory) is an absolute genius in my book!
  • 3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yes this is the one.

edited May 2013

that did it, thank you.

edited December 1969

3dtoday said:

yes this is the one.
    Sweet! Did you find the help file? Did any of my suggestions make any sense/help?
    We'll get you on track. The ReadMe for that product will have a link in it for the "File List"
    It might even have a link to any tutorials that may have come with it.
    If not, follow the File List link and look through the list for a pdf help file and/or any other tutorials. DT often has excellent info that comes with.

I need this pack. Onto my list of required purchases it just went!

Let us know if you need further assistance

edited May 2013

Open the ReadMe's folder. Find the product and open the ReadMe. DimensionTheory usually equips his products with a wealth of valuable info regarding the product and various ways to work with it. Find his Tutorial info (often a pdf, sometimes videos too) as they will be an invaluable learning aid in all of your Carrara endeavors. Jeffrey Felt (DimensionTheory) is an absolute genius in my book!

thanks, yes I believe I found that.

edited February 2013

3dtoday said:

One again, thanks. However, I note I can move them now, but unfortunately there is no longer access to the brightness controls,
    I dont think. Do you have to ungroup them each time for that function?
    Nope.
    Just open the Group and select the lights from within. I always group my lights as a habit - so that I have them all under one roof. Exception being complex scenes where I might have several light groups inside individual parts of the scene. ;)

Glad to be of help... Always

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

To change the lights all at once, select all the ones you wish to adjust and go to Edit-->Master Light. I window will open where you can include/ exclude light types, settings etc.

The other possibility with DTs set, could be the use of replicated lights. If it's a replicated light, you only need to adjust the main light and all the replicated lights will change as well. I don't know if he uses replicated lights on his light domes though, as I don't have the product.

edited December 1969

To change the lights all at once, select all the ones you wish to adjust and go to Edit-->Master Light. I window will open where you can include/ exclude light types, settings etc.
    Do you know if there's the possibility to have more than one such setting? I went in to use that once, and was wondering if you could have Master light settings for Distant lights, for example, and other settings for the spot lights? Just curious is all. I couldn't figure out how to do it - but I forgot to look further into it.
    edited December 1969

Do you know if there's the possibility to have more than one such setting? I went in to use that once, and was wondering if you could have Master light settings for Distant lights, for example, and other settings for the spot lights? Just curious is all. I couldn't figure out how to do it - but I forgot to look further into it.

I'm like you, I tend to group my lights if I have a complex scene. Once they're grouped, select the group and and then select Master Light from the Edit menu. If you have spots and distance lights in the same group, but only want the spots to be edited, then disable the other check boxes. You can also check and un-check the other functions.

Picture_4.png
    840 x 655 - 99K
    Picture_3.png
    807 x 636 - 107K
    Picture_2.png
    836 x 652 - 127K
    Picture_1.png
    888 x 726 - 146K
    edited December 1969

But the Master Light doesn't care if they're in a group or not. It affects all of their type - I think. I've tried making setting for a distant lights, then opening a new instance of Master Light for use with Spots - but when I tried it, the Master Light settings remain global. However you change it, it stays changed - across the board. Or can you actually have a separate Master Light for each group?

edited December 1969

But the Master Light doesn't care if they're in a group or not. It affects all of their type - I think. I've tried making setting for a distant lights, then opening a new instance of Master Light for use with Spots - but when I tried it, the Master Light settings remain global. However you change it, it stays changed - across the board. Or can you actually have a separate Master Light for each group?

It only effects lights that are selected. If you have a mix of spotlights in your group and distant lights, and you only have the spotlights selected, then they will be the only light type that is changed. If you have another group with spotlights, and they are not selected, they shouldn't be changed.

Picture_8.png
    1040 x 575 - 126K
    Picture_7.png
    1012 x 419 - 108K
    Picture_6.png
    1004 x 585 - 120K
    Picture_5.png
    661 x 642 - 100K
    edited February 2013

The Master Light remembers the last state it was in, so you have to pay attention to that. You don't have a separate Master Light applied to each individual group.

Edited to add: If it helps, think of it as a batch adjustment to your lights. Master Light is the control panel that allows you to do it.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Where this is really handy, is when you use a light dome. The more the lights, the smoother the shadows. But then, sometimes a brightness of 1 is still too bright, if you want to include the accent light that sets up the prominent incoming light direction. Very cool to have this feature. I just learned about it mid last year when I bought Tim Payne's Skies Bundle. His light domes are neat! ;) But can often require the use of the Master Light controller. I'm sorry if you've heard this before...
    I Really LOVE Carrara!

edited May 2013

evilproducer To change the lights all at once, select all the ones you wish to adjust and go to Edit-->Master Light. I window will open where you can include/ exclude light types, settings etc.

Thanks much.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited February 2013

3dtoday said:
    evilproducer To change the lights all at once, select all the ones you wish to adjust and go to Edit-->Master Light. I window will open where you can include/ exclude light types, settings etc.

Thanks much.

Is it just me, or does this cry out for a shortcut Key? Does anyone else think Carrara needs more shortcut keys?

File menu, Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, pick the "room" (Assembly is "3D View"), then pick the "categotry" (Master LIght is in Edit), then find the function (Master Light is just over halfway down). You can assign a shortcut to very nearly anything, but you'll find that there are more functions available than there are key combinations to choose from :)

Post edited by Fenric on
    edited May 2013

thanks Fenric!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've been experimenting a bit with cube lighting using the shape lights. I can't say the results are better then other lighting solutions, just a bit easier to set up.