Rendering Errors

StuieStuie Posts: 58
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've just recently began getting errors every time I try to render out a short animation of only 90 frames. For literally years I've been doing this type of animation and have never encountered ANY errors until just recently. I'm imaging it out as sequenced tiff files and whether or not I use the render node, always about 30 something frames into it I get a message "An error has occurred". My most recent message was "A nil pointer error has occurred". Any insights into why this has happened all of a sudden after years of relative rendering bliss? Version 8.1.1.12.

P.S. - I've used this version in the most recent past with nary a problem.

Stuie

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Stuie :)

I'd check the default stuff, Remove unused / Shaders,.. Clear out the Daz3D / Temp folder. (especially if it's crashing)

Other than that,. it depends on what system, OS, and possibly.. what's in the scene.
    it's a tough one to track down without the scene.

• StuieStuie Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Checked the Daz temp file file. Oh my, 3 Gb. The scene isn't very complicated, and I always clean out any unused objects/shaders. I'm assuming that the temp was the problem, but will see for sure the next animation I do. Thanks for the input. Didn't respond quickly cause I was at work.

Stuie

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

hmm maybe it is just the scene, what happens if you try and render frames from frame 30 onwards
    what happens at frame 30?
    is a light being turned on for eg?
    does it always happen at the same frame?
    do all of your textures with a texture actually point to a texture?

just random thoughts, I think youknow more than I do fromlooking at your work !

I'm still discovering new bugs in 8.1 something, most recent is trying to put a gel shader on anything glows :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    hmm maybe it is just the scene, what happens if you try and render frames from frame 30 onwards
    what happens at frame 30?
    is a light being turned on for eg?
    does it always happen at the same frame?
    do all of your textures with a texture actually point to a texture?

just random thoughts, I think youknow more than I do fromlooking at your work !

I'm still discovering new bugs in 8.1 something, most recent is trying to put a gel shader on anything glows :)

I cleared my temp files, and I'm still experiencing the same problem, this time after only 10 frames. I'll set it up to continue to try to get the whole 90 frames, but this is very frustrating. I've attached the scene. As you can see it's nothing over taxing, so I'm a bit puzzled. I am only using a HDRI file for the light source, but that's never hindered me before. This is really starting to piss me off.

010.jpg
    800 x 480 - 79K
  • MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

I've had this problem ever since 8.1 was released. As far as I am concerned - it is a bug, because all my past problem projects/renders work great in 8.5.

Try and get a copy of 8.5 if you can and see if there is any difference. Switching to 64bit Carrara 8.1 seemed to help as well (proper OS required of course).

Also .. (if not already doing so) try rendering to sequenced files - then if a crash, restart and render from last good frame forward.

edited December 1969

Fortunately, I have been rendering out to tiff files. It's just tremendously frustrating that I have to keep restarting from the point it leaves off two or three times for only 90 frames. I just checked it again and found that after I started it off where it stopped the last time (after 10 frames), it stopped again after only 26 frames. I'll look into 8.5 and see if it will help. Thanks for your suggestion.

Stuie