Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You guys keep me laughing...!

Ok, I was inspired to finish my photoreal guy... fixed the teeth with SSS and then fixed the hair displacement, and altered the alphamap to match... I think he looks much better now...

Then I saved him and started to work on the suit texture when...
    *sound of bomb falling* :shut:
    CRAASH!

Oh well. At least I saved first. I don't think I would have tried this kind of displacement in 32bit Carrara. I'm pretty happy with tonight's work even if I am fishing my final render out of the DAZtmp folder. LOL

Doc25.png
    450 x 600 - 228K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

You guys keep me laughing...!

Ok, I was inspired to finish my photoreal guy... fixed the teeth with SSS and then fixed the hair displacement, and altered the alphamap to match... I think he looks much better now...

Looking real good there Holly. Hey, at least you saved! I can't wait to see the rest of the work.

edited December 1969

Put it in Carrara and open a marble shader or two and pick them apart. You might like what you see.

I'm still trying to get OBJ export/import down pat. It still seems to do weird things in Carrara.

I tried going in the other direction and get the "crushed sapphires" posed V4 into LightWave. She shows up in the default T-pose without any of the texturing...texturing I should be able to get back but without bones, I sure can't pose her again.

I'd be willing to bet a considerably large sum of money that it would be against the DAZ licensing to rig V4 using LightWave (not that I have such a skill yet).

Right now, I'm thinking that I have simply made the rooms too large. I need to re-think the room layout architecturally and start again. I do want to stick with this as a scene idea though because I think the end result could be fantastic (and it has been spectacular education for me).

edited December 1969

Well, that explains why he’s so happy all the time- He’s not in Fargo!

No kidding! I've been there four times to visit my friends...never in the depths of winter though, thank FSM! It disturbs me that one of the tallest parts of the town is the highway overpass...

So that's where they exiled the guys that came up with "Clippy!"

Hehehehehe!! Not quite...but it would be a deserving punishment (I doubt Microsoft will ever live-down the Clippy Fiasco).

I think MSFT is one of the (or is the) largest employer in Fargo now. They are making huge investments into their campus. It was acquired years ago when MSFT bought Great Plains software - which makes the Dynamics CRM software. So most people there are Dynamics devs and support. But they have added support teams for SharePoint and SQL Server...I think some Office support is there too.

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    I'm not too happy with this one for numerous reasons, but I did find an outfit that is more appropriate for the setting/theme.

The hair is still a bit freaky but I love it too much to part with it, lol. ;-)

Koukotsu, your work makes me want to add Aiko to my runtime. Though I doubt I could come close to your expertise and skill, I am curious about which products you make the most use of...if it is even possible to build such a list...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited February 2013

Garstor said:
    Put it in Carrara and open a marble shader or two and pick them apart. You might like what you see.

I'm still trying to get OBJ export/import down pat. It still seems to do weird things in Carrara.

I tried going in the other direction and get the "crushed sapphires" posed V4 into LightWave. She shows up in the default T-pose without any of the texturing...texturing I should be able to get back but without bones, I sure can't pose her again.

I'd be willing to bet a considerably large sum of money that it would be against the DAZ licensing to rig V4 using LightWave (not that I have such a skill yet).

Right now, I'm thinking that I have simply made the rooms too large. I need to re-think the room layout architecturally and start again. I do want to stick with this as a scene idea though because I think the end result could be fantastic (and it has been spectacular education for me).

As long as you don't redistribute, you can do anything you want to the model.

Edited to add: This video was done in C5. I had bought transposer, but I could never get it to work, I bought the T-rex model from DAZ before I realized transposer was a dud (for me), so I brought the T-Rex' object file into Carrara and rigged it myself. I didn't really know or understand what morphs were, so I didn't do any of that. I also didn't know about the shadow catcher either.

http://youtu.be/taejI7yb2R0

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Duly noted. When I am ready to learn rigging, I might try using V4 in LightWave.

Edited to add: This video was done in C5. I had bought transposer, but I could never get it to work, I bought the T-rex model from DAZ before I realized transposer was a dud (for me), so I brought the T-Rex' object file into Carrara and rigged it myself. I didn't really know or understand what morphs were, so I didn't do any of that. I also didn't know about the shadow catcher either.

That is pretty darn good! It really blows my mind how far 3D and CGI has come - could you imagine telling people about doing this on a desktop-class computer even just 10 years ago?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Duly noted. When I am ready to learn rigging, I might try using V4 in LightWave.

That is pretty darn good! It really blows my mind how far 3D and CGI has come - could you imagine telling people about doing this on a desktop-class computer even just 10 years ago?

Ten years? Try five years! There's been people here hacking their X-Box and Sony Kinect stuff to do MoCap! It's amazing!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Garstor,

When you export V4, ensure that you select the option to "Export Objects with Morphs and Skinning". Then you will get the posed figure and not the default pose.

• edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I am curious about which products you make the most use of...if it is even possible to build such a list...

A3 was being phased-out of the DAZ store fairly quick at one time, and some of the things I use might not even be purchasable anymore, but this is the character morph I use 98% of the time: http://www.daz3d.com/mulberry-for-a3

All of Thorne/Sarsa's A3 characters are fantastic, but Sarsa's Mulberry takes the cake in my opinion, lol. The promo images are decent but they just don't do this character proper justice!

This is one of my personal favorite hairstyles, I use it all the time: http://www.daz3d.com/hermes-hair

Here's the definitive A3 school-girl outfit, every Anime lady needs one of those, lol: http://www.daz3d.com/cool-fever-for-a3

I use my own custom textures for the skirt and zebra-striped tie though.

I'll always wonder why DAZ bothered creating Genesis when they already had the perfect figure 12 years ago, lol ;-)

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

Why do I love Carrara?

That's Jack Tomalin's library, 20 separate, clothed Poser characters and two replicators to beef up the crowd a bit.

416 individual objects comprising 13,858,523 renderable facets (not the same as polys, but it's facets that get rendered anyway), An optimized texture map surface of 2.01 gigabytes.

It took 16 gigabytes of RAM, and rendered in a staggering... 3 minutes

Needs a little tweaking, still, but Carrara is still responsive and happy enough. Poser gave up on 8 figures, I wasn't even going to try with Studio. Photorealistic? Nope. Not going for PR, sorry - I'm telling a story, not taking snapshots. This is a very nearly AO only shot, using a bright yellow-orange basic scene ambient at 100% and a bright light to shine through the windows.

Doc6.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 227K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 1969

and meanwhile Wendy has been playing in the vertex modeller . . :red:

I cheated and made it symmetrical in Hexagon but the scary reast inc uv mapping 4 photos of my Corolla on it is all Carrara. . .
    . . .and . .
    the mouth!

filletted and morphed with tongue saved in viseme poses as NLA clips to use in Mimic

scary video rendering now . .

corolla.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited December 1969

A fox wedding that is NOT photoreal...? I can't imagine what you were thinking....

edited February 2013

and meanwhile Wendy has been playing in the vertex modeller . . :red:

I cheated and made it symmetrical in Hexagon but the scary reast inc uv mapping 4 photos of my Corolla on it is all Carrara. . .
    . . .and . .
    the mouth!

filletted and morphed with tongue saved in viseme poses as NLA clips to use in Mimic

scary video rendering now . .

:gulp: there are no words... Amazing....

Another of my big guy:

Doc4.png
    450 x 600 - 174K
    Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Garstor,

When you export V4, ensure that you select the option to "Export Objects with Morphs and Skinning". Then you will get the posed figure and not the default pose.

Thanks Phil! I'll definitely watch out for that next time.

Still pondering how to make the new art gallery. Smaller rooms...definitely! Maybe T-shaped. Vaulted ceiling -- this time planned for from the beginning instead of the hideously beveled afterthought...

edited December 1969

Another of my big guy:

Best. Version. Yet.

I love the look you put him. It makes me wonder what he just saw...

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Another of my big guy:

Best. Version. Yet.

I love the look you put him. It makes me wonder what he just saw...
    He just has the BEST expressions... not really many morphs, but I just love his face....

I am devastated to learn he is no longer available at Rendo... I think I bought all the options for him = Rikishi - Odegami's whole store is now gone. :down:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Just a quick play with Booleans to create a "perforated cube." I'll keep this model around to use as an exhibit in my new art gallery.

perf_cube_01.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Fenric, Holly, Garstor, Wendy - so much great work here lately! With no disrespect to anyone else, Fenric's scene is amazing. And Wendy's head must sometimes be a very strange place....

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    I'm not too happy with this one for numerous reasons, but I did find an outfit that is more appropriate for the setting/theme.

The hair is still a bit freaky but I love it too much to part with it, lol. ;-)

That is very nice, IMO.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

This video was done in C5. I had bought transposer, but I could never get it to work, I bought the T-rex model from DAZ before I realized transposer was a dud (for me), so I brought the T-Rex' object file into Carrara and rigged it myself. I didn't really know or understand what morphs were, so I didn't do any of that. I also didn't know about the shadow catcher either.

Oh my is that ever AWESOME!!! EP, Dude.. you got eaten! No, seriously. There was blood and... well... yeah. Eaten!
    I think you did a great job. So that was before you became the true Carrara genius that you are today, eh? You're a natural. People got away with much less in movies that hit the theaters!
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Garstor said:
    I am curious about which products you make the most use of...if it is even possible to build such a list...

A3 was being phased-out of the DAZ store fairly quick at one time, and some of the things I use might not even be purchasable anymore, but this is the character morph I use 98% of the time: http://www.daz3d.com/mulberry-for-a3

All of Thorne/Sarsa's A3 characters are fantastic, but Sarsa's Mulberry takes the cake in my opinion, lol. The promo images are decent but they just don't do this character proper justice!

This is one of my personal favorite hairstyles, I use it all the time: http://www.daz3d.com/hermes-hair

Here's the definitive A3 school-girl outfit, every Anime lady needs one of those, lol: http://www.daz3d.com/cool-fever-for-a3

I use my own custom textures for the skirt and zebra-striped tie though.

I'll always wonder why DAZ bothered creating Genesis when they already had the perfect figure 12 years ago, lol ;-)Aiko - Mulberry, has certainly become an anticipated vision for me here because of Koukotsu's excellence with her. I am currently playing around (for the first time, can you believe it?) with Ambient Occlusion, which I believe she uses all the time?

Anyways, Mulberry's really great and an awesome trademark for Koukotsu. So if you want to establish your own little cutie, you certainly can't go wrong with Thorne's Store whether A3 or, well any Daz figure. Thorne has a certain style that is unmistakable. Those custom heads that pierce the soul is what does it to me. They're just adorable! Okay. When I get my Daz Spending money from Rosie, (after, of course, buying Dogwaffle!!!) I'm going into Thorne's store and picking out a nice character. Just a special treat to myself for being such a good boy lately.

edited December 1969

Fenric,
    Those are some amazing statistics. I know Carrara displays that stuff as I render - but I'm just a numb little guy :coolhmm:
    I almost forgot how other softies just can't come close to handling the shear weight of the masses that Carrara can handle without much complaint, if any at all!
    Aside from all of that, Great render. So I couldn't help but notice that you have a fox on your arm. Do ya like her? You gonna ask her out again? Jack Tomalin Rocks, does he not?

wendy♥catz, Thanks for the car! Whoa, this takes me back say... twenty-eight years I think? My singer from my 'then' band, "Wings of Steel", sold me one just like this, but yellow. I was living in the Chicago suburbs then. Country boy in the big city. Well, you know that car was amazingly light of weight, and had a really strong little four-cylinder and an adjustable clutch! Sure... reach under the hood, loosen the lock screw, which was just a wing nut, and you could give yourself more or less tension, and take up the slack as the plates wear thin. Sweet feature. Anyways, you know those on/off ramps that are actually built up all around by a mound of grass - but really really steep? I'd fly this little baby off the side of the ramp and down the deep valley. Wide open in fourth gear by the time I'd start my return climb up the other side, that little guy would be exceeding its 88 mph meter when I'd launch up and over the entire ramp! Man that thing flew nice! And it never fell apart, either! Again... Thanks for this!

Holly, I feel bad for him. I saw that look on his face and wanted to cry, at first. Then I started looking around to see if, whoever made him feel this way was still around. I'll tear 'em up! I like this dude. Don't know 'em. But that's neither here nor there. I've always had that problem. I just like people, is all. Anyways. I don't like bullies unless I'm watch them smacking against the ground with a good dose of Dartan Slam! Where is he?

Gars Man!
    I'm lovin' the enthusiasm, brah! You are just pouring into this CG Art like lemonade on a hot day, aren'tcha! That booleans cube reminds of of those cover art pics that Dimension Theory (Jeffrey Felt) did for the Carrara page! Really neat stuff.
    Did you know that, if you go to Holly's Webspace you can find a link to Fenric's free Ivy growing plugin?
    Yeah I said free. I think it's free. I have it here somewhere, but I've never yet tried it - but I've read where folks are really impressed with the results! Keep that rush growing, my friend!

• edited February 2013

Oh yeah, I use ambient occlusion very often, it's a great speedy alternative to full indirect lighting and really adds to the sense of depth in an image.

You might have to occasionally do some weird things to tame it, like creating "glowing teeth" shaders when your figure has their mouth open and things like that though :P

I usually take advantage of the handy multi-pass feature to allow for more post-work flexibility, those ambient occlusion passes also happen to look quite nifty on their own in my opinion, lol.

Doc1_AmbientOcclusion.png
    1280 x 960 - 812K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

I agree. Beautiful!
    So that's one of the resulting images of a multi-pass render with AO, that being the AO pass layer? Is it separate images or a single image with layers, how does that work?
    See, in Dogwaffle, I could actually use this sort of information and animate it - true post work for my rendered animations. I'm slowly trying to climb forward into the, what is it now, 18th century? 19? lol
    Looking forward to trying this stuff in animations. Thanks for the help.
    Oh... and she's till hot in this AO pass! %-P

• edited February 2013

I agree. Beautiful!
    So that's one of the resulting images of a multi-pass render with AO, that being the AO pass layer? Is it separate images or a single image with layers, how does that work?

Carrara has the option to save every pass as a single .psd, (Photoshop Document) but I usually just save everything as multiple separate .png images, usually around 9 layers at a time. You render once; but it results in multiple different passes that have to be saved separately.

I suppose using the .psd route would allow you to use batch processing in Photoshop for animations, I haven't tried it yet.

I've never heard of Dogwaffle, it sounds interesting though, lol :bug:

Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    I usually just save everything as multiple separate .png images, usually around 9 layers at a time. You render once; but it results in multiple different passes that have to be saved separately.
    This is the perfect solution for me. So for animations, I'd likely get a separate sequence of images folder for each pass, I'm assuming. And I take it, by what you said, that you can tell Carrara how many passes. Very cool. Sorry about this, I'd check it out myself, but I'm really crunching hard on my latest Carrara product. Promo Images take forever! And I like to have a comprehensive user's manual for each of my products. Takes a long time to get right, but I'd like to go down in history as a Published Artists who really gives a damn about those who use my stuff. :-P

I've never heard of Dogwaffle, it sounds interesting though, lol :bug:

It's sold here, at Daz3d. Their video tutorials called The Daily Dose are just fun. But they really teach you great details about how their bazillions of tools work. I'm really into it for its animation editing capabilities, Rotoscoping and such, but it also lends itself really well to actual Painting - like oils on canvas - on the computer. I love painting. Haven't done any since, well, before you were born, little one, so this will give me a chance to really get back into a lost passion. That being said, I might even add an Oil-Painted look to my movies. We'll see. Production starts soon so I have many decisions to make.
    Here's my little write-up thread as I'm discovering Project Dogwaffle
    edited February 2013

Oh, and Koukotsu...
    Thank you. I really appreciate advice from an artist who's work I admire so strongly. I mean that. You do very great work. If you're not famous for it already, you truly should be.
    R O C K O N in all of your adventures!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • edited December 1969

I just try to represent Carrara the best that I can ;-)

Here's my latest, I think it's a bit on the "orange" side though, lol.

SkyrimInterior-1png24-4.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
This discussion has been closed.