WIP Norwegian Coastal Freigther

VarselVarsel Posts: 574
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

This one is modeled after M/S Granvin, a freighter that used to sail in the Hardanger fjord.
It does still sail, but now as a museum ship.

It was built in 1931, and was certified for 150 passengers and 3 cars.

M/S Granvin never left Norway, but a lot of the old freighters that used to sail along the coast of Norway went out and got a new life elsewhere.

This is not a exact copy of the original.
A lot of the old freighters were rebuild, and modernized.
So I'm building one of her unknown sisterships. The one that went to the Caribbean, and now sails as a freighter under the sun.

Still got the top aft deck to do, and lanterns and radar and ......

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Looking really neat, Varsel:)

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thanks Roygee

The modeling is done for now. If I need some more details, I can always add them later.

It's partly UV-mapped. I will use it in Carrara, so there will be procedural shaders, but some details have to be made in the texture.

doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 111K
    edited December 1969

It's starting to shape up.. Amassing what a decent shader can do.

But now I can see that it's still to clean and tidy..
    Need more clutter and details.

Doc2a.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 341K
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

Varsel said:
    It's starting to shape up.. Amassing what a decent shader can do.

But now I can see that it's still to clean and tidy..
    Need more clutter and details.

Wow i'm impressed what Hexagon can do ,excellent model, you are amazing, hexagon cant do that by itself lol.The sad thing which i saw it on this and many other models is those colors added as textures ..makes me cry :shut: , such a beauty ship and without some cool looking textures 8-/

There are websites which hosts free rusty iron textures or grunge textures , you have to spend some time and search on google.
    Ofc downloading might be limited but at least give it a try :)
    see
    3dtotal.com
    http://freestocktextures.com/texture/category/7
    etc..etc
    Some are royalty free license which means you can use them to sell your product but you are not allowed to redistribute nor sell the texture as it.
    You can dodge/burn/modify/merge textures in photoshop using normal options or work with layers to merge different opacity images http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgmTl2Hbdsc

Ofc, any new ship will look like this one (freshly painted) but aged ones can look great too with a cool grunge texture at least for bottom(body) of the ship .

Post edited by cris333 on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

@ Cris333

Patience,

Give him a chance, he hasn't started to add relevant gunge yet , wear & tear may follow depends how old he is aiming for. He may not have finished adding textures.

Plus we don't know yet when; ie 1931 or 1945 or 2005 it's something you will have to wait for until he's completed it, this after all is a WIP in the WIP thread. :)

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

You can see the original ship her.

http://fjordabaaten.ning.com/page/ms-granvin

As you can see, here paint does hold up really well, but she is also much loved and tampered with.
    Her hull is a bit battered up, from a long and proud service at narrow and small harbors.
    There are also signs of repair on the hull, and on the wood on the wheelhouse.

The original does also have portholes in the hull. There where the cabin for 2.class passengers.
    It has also five portholes on the starboard side and four on the port side on the upper deck.
    In my version this has been rebuilt to cargo.

Cris333 : some grunge will be added. Also indication on repair and rebuilding, but not to much..
    And after all, any good captain would not accept any rust on his ship. You know there is a saying : if it doesn't move - paint it...

edited December 1969

A rust bucket it is not !

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Very nice indeed Varsel, amazing piece of modeling.

• edited December 1969

Oaky...I have a weird question:

Why does google translate translate "M/S Granvin" as "M/S Granby"?

edited December 1969

Oaky...I have a weird question:

Why does google translate translate "M/S Granvin" as "M/S Granby"?

It might be that since Granvin in Norway has 950 people, and Granby in Canada has over 60 000....

Google has made the desicion about where the importance lies.
    Or not enough people are searching for Granvin...

There is a place in Colorado thats also called Granby, but I doubt they sail ships like this there.

edited December 1969

I just had to check the google translate....

If this is the perception one can get of the Norwegian language and grammar...
    It was terrible. I had to put on my second grade school glases to understand it...

Bad Google.... sorry world.

• edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Bad Google.... sorry world

Heheh...no problem, Varsel!! :lol:

Actually, I'm constantly fascinated that google translate works as well as it does. Even when it flubs as often as it does, I can still usually get a fairly decent gist of what's being said.

But thanks for the feedback on the Granvin/Granby issue. Since most ships are named after people or places, their names are what they are, and don't require translation (unless you switch alphabets or something like that. For instance, russian "MOCKBa" requires a near-phonetic english translation from "musk-vwah" to "moscow") . So when google translated "granvin" to a different word, it confused me and I just thought I'd ask if something "special" was going on.

So nothing special...just google butchering another language! :)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

That is amazing!

edited December 1969

I did try to add some dent and traces of repair to the hull, by a bump map.
    The effect isn't to good when rendering with a hdri.
    Might have to go and hunt for some photos...

But then again - it was never intended for closeup renders.. The hole ship is only 32 000 poly's.

That has to be next week. Now it's time to go and make some money, so I can exist in real life..

Doc3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 271K
    edited February 2013

Not surprising really as the hull is black, perhaps if you introduce an incidence light source to get some highlights you might be able to pick up the dents.

Since I'm totally useless at texturing, practically speaking, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, :lol: but what if you make either a specular and/or a reflection map based on your bump map wouldn't that perhaps help a bit., plus the additional light source (spot), aimed along the hull towards the camera ? Where's Tramp gone? just when we need his input. :)

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Nice and clean modeling. Me likey. %-P

• dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Tøff båt! :-)

edited December 1969

dyret said:
    Tøff båt! :-)

Riktigt tuff! hehe :D

edited December 1969

lol. Nå blir vi snart kasta ut! Norsk og svensk er vel ikke populært her.

For those of you wondering. Try Google Translator Norwegian to English :)

edited December 1969

Å jag som trodde att det var en internationell site.LOL

edited December 1969

Joda. Det er jo uansett på tide at vi fra Skandinavia tar over her! ;)

edited December 1969

dyret said:
    Joda. Det er jo uansett på tide at vi fra Skandinavia tar over her! ;)

Vi har i alla fall gjort det i chatten på en annan site som börjar på Rend. LOL :P

edited December 1969

Jeg hører ikke hjemme på på Hexagon chaten allikevel. Kom hit feil og så båten bare. :-)