Rapier and Dagger

lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167
edited December 1969 in Freebies

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/67399/view/5/3D-Model/Renaissance-Rapier-and-Dagger

Here's a couple of fine gentleman's weapons, for your consideration.

Be gentle... this is my first prop....

Lex

Comments

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,633
    edited December 1969

thanks, they look nice. :)

• CynrothCynroth Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

I'll second that! I was into historical re-enactments for a number of years, and those are spot on for a swept hilt rapier and main gauche. In fact, the rapier has lines which are nearly identical with a blade I actually used in my re-enacting, and the main gauche is perfectly spot on!

• LuckBeLuckBe Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

These are fantastic! I have a character these will be perfect for- thank you so much for sharing, and for doing such a great job.

• lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Cynroth said:
    I'll second that! I was into historical re-enactments for a number of years, and those are spot on for a swept hilt rapier and main gauche. In fact, the rapier has lines which are nearly identical with a blade I actually used in my re-enacting, and the main gauche is perfectly spot on!

Well, the actual thing is right here beside me (I also do period fencing). Made it easier to model when I could take measurements! ;-)

edited December 1969

lexbaird said:
    Cynroth said:

Well, the actual thing is right here beside me (I also do period fencing). Made it easier to model when I could take measurements! ;-)

Yep, it sure would make it easier to model lol!!

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I make the overall length of the rapier as a hair over 48 inches. Is that right? Seems long to me, but I'm no expert.

• lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Yep, that is right for a period rapier, circa 1600. The really extreme ones were up to 5' long. One traditional measure is the length from the cross quillons to the point is the same as from your navel to the ground. In this case, about 42".

edited December 1969

sfaa69 said:
    I make the overall length of the rapier as a hair over 48 inches. Is that right? Seems long to me, but I'm no expert.

There was no "standard" length for a blade in those days, and they pretty much ran the gamut from fairly short, to really long. Blades at that time were hand crafted, and each smith or crafter preferrred a different length for his style of crafting. A 48 incher would not be uncommon in the period

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

Cynroth said:
    sfaa69 said:

There was no "standard" length for a blade in those days, and they pretty much ran the gamut from fairly short, to really long. Blades at that time were hand crafted, and each smith or crafter preferrred a different length for his style of crafting. A 48 incher would not be uncommon in the periodNot only that, but they were often custom sized for their user. A tall man would use a longer sword than a shorter man. The rule of thumb for measuring the right sized blade was to stand erect, and hold the sword straight down with your arms straight at your sides (as if standing at attention). The tip of the blade should just touch the ground. If it doesn't reach the ground, it's too short, if you have to lift your arm and bend your elbow, it's too long.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited February 2013

Just for fun, I tried that method with a tape measure and determined that the proper length of a blade in my case is 31 inches, and I'm 5' 10" tall.
    I can't conceive of someone being able to draw a rapier 5 feet long from it's sheath, but maybe there's more to it than I know, since I've only seen this done in the movies.
    The method of measuring from the navel does indeed indicate a blade length of 42 inches in my case.
    And thank you for the education, and to lexbaird for the props.

Post edited by sfaa69 on
  • rgrinly_3c04c79a1brgrinly_3c04c79a1b Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

Many thanks for this..it'll be most useful :) Yay for long pointy objects ! :)

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

I've got quite a lot of swords in my Runtime already, but still keep adding more! Good stuff.