a hairy issue

daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, so I will ask it here...

When I put some kinds of hair on some characters, I get a strange effect of mesh distortion in the hair around the character's eyes. I've seen this on YT Justin when I use Duke hair or PH Sassy, both of which are male hairstyles. Why does that happen? Is there an adjustment or parameter I'm not aware of yet? All my software is up to date as far as I know.

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

If the character morph makes significant changes to the eyelashes, the hair will try to match that change. I don't know of any good workaround for this.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You can dial back the offending morphs in the hair in most circumstances. Set it to 'Show Hidden Properties' and play with the sliders until it fits better.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

What I see is that any part of the hair mesh that crosses in front of the eyes on some male characters, like Justin, gets 'pulled' in sharply towards the 'inner eyelashes' in the back part of the character head mesh (visible only in wire frame). I have not noticed this happen on female characters like V5 or Julie. On the male characters in question, the hair mesh fits perfectly in every other way, but you just can't have long bangs without getting distortion.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I've had good luck applying a smoothing modifier to this and changing base shape matching to generic. Sometimes, not always, this will unwanted morph deformations.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Wancow. I will play around with those settings and see what happens. :)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

You can dial back the offending morphs in the hair in most circumstances. Set it to 'Show Hidden Properties' and play with the sliders until it fits better.

Hey, that works. I just tried it. PHMBoyLashes and PHMsomethingelseLashes. Fiddled both and got it perfect.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

Hey, that works. I just tried it. PHMBoyLashes and PHMsomethingelseLashes. Fiddled both and got it perfect.

Now that you've got it, you'll need to click the little padlock on those sliders to lock the setting. Otherwise, when you save and reopen the file, the settings are lost. No idea why.

edited December 1969

@ HeraldofFire, success!

It was one of those hidden morphs on the hair. I set the one with "HideOuterLashes" to -100% (negative one hundred percent) on a Justin based character and the mesh distortions went away. I originally thought it affected other male characters, but when I tried out unmixed base shapes of M5 and Hiro5 I saw that they didn't need this adjustment. I guess maybe Justin has a bug? ;) Ah, well, I don't mind easy workarounds as long as I know simple ways of dealing with them.