Project Dogwaffle or adobe photoshop?

jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
edited August 2012 in The Commons

Hello,
I wanted to know: Get " Project Dogwaffle", excludes the need for an adobe photoshop?

Thank you.

Edit: "Actually, even that which is PD? Today is the first time, I came across this software, and ... He seemed like an image editor, but I'm not understanding your bill, no.
It seems that it does not export to jpeg, not. "

Post edited by jorge dorlando on

Comments

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited August 2012

PD does save .jpg files no problem, Its hard to say or to choose between as they both do things different but for sure photoshop is a better investment though I guess you can tell that by the price difference.

But for the price PD is a great product I really like it for the symmetrical drawing and should be considered but its no photoshop.

Sal.

With the new version PD 8 It may have more file types to save as this is PD Artist 7.2 save file types below.

Untitled-1.png
    819 x 197 - 9K
    Post edited by Sal UK on
  • hamstergirl4444hamstergirl4444 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I LOVE Dogwaffle - got my first computer in 2006, and PD was the first free program I dl'd...I've since purchased several upgrades (would love to have the most current)...it works best if you have a tablet. The particle brushes are particularly useful for 3D artists who want to create magic effects, or landscapes & starfields for 3D renders...But, like Sal UK says, it's not Photoshop. Think of it more as a fun and useful companion to your 3D and postwork programs of choice.... :)

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Well .. So I see that is not what I was thinking it was.
    Okay, thanks for the answers!

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Interesting question. Dogwaffle or Photoshop? They are not full replacements for eachother. Dogwaffle does have layers but not automatic opaque layers. You can get opaque layers by dedicating a color to it though, with special layer blending modes like Magic Pink or Magenta but it's not the same. Dogwaffle does lots of things differently. There are particle brushes that are a bit different. There is a full rules based foliage brush system to draw a full tree in a single brush stroke. And the new v8.2 that's imminent has also caught up to GPU acceleration for 3D Designer and other parts.

Here is a new tutorial that shows some filter work and techniques with the new GPU accelerated 3D Designer in 8.2 of PD Pr for terrain modeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-nakWYXn4

Is it PS or Dogwaffle you need? Hard to say if PD will address all you need. It's cheap enough that you might get both, I mean if you have the money for PS to begin with. And there's also PS Elements. You could use that and PD and not go broke lol

PD Pro 7.2 is also included in the Cool Creative Bundle now, along with 8 other products. That version 7.2 does include the Motion Prediction Module. I don't know that Photoshop CS6 Extended has a motion estimation module for video work, does it? Does After Effects CS6?. So definitely, you'll find stuff you like better in either product.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

A bit off-topic, but if you're looking for something to use instead of Photoshop have you tried GIMP recently? There was a usability overhaul last year, now it's even got single-window mode.

One of my favorite things about it is that it has a portable version which can be run off of a jump drive on pretty much any Windows computer you can plug into, without having to install on it -- very handy for use at work!

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited February 2013

Choosing between Project Dogwaffle, Photoshop or any 2D art program really depends on your work style and flow. Most of them have free trials so I suggest you play with each of them and find what fits your needs.

If you're producing items for the print trade-- Photoshop as the choice is a no brainer. While I have Photoshop and use it almost always when I get some commercial work, but my program of choice is Painter. I come from a traditional art program (drawing, painting) and Painter's digital version of traditional art tools cannot be beat. I hand draw all my bird textures and Painter is invaluable for that.

Post edited by Songbird ReMix on
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Interesting question. Dogwaffle or Photoshop? They are not full replacements for eachother. Dogwaffle does have layers but not automatic opaque layers. You can get opaque layers by dedicating a color to it though, with special layer blending modes like Magic Pink or Magenta but it's not the same. Dogwaffle does lots of things differently. There are particle brushes that are a bit different. There is a full rules based foliage brush system to draw a full tree in a single brush stroke. And the new v8.2 that's imminent has also caught up to GPU acceleration for 3D Designer and other parts.

Here is a new tutorial that shows some filter work and techniques with the new GPU accelerated 3D Designer in 8.2 of PD Pr for terrain modeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-nakWYXn4

Is it PS or Dogwaffle you need? Hard to say if PD will address all you need. It's cheap enough that you might get both, I mean if you have the money for PS to begin with. And there's also PS Elements. You could use that and PD and not go broke lol

PD Pro 7.2 is also included in the Cool Creative Bundle now, along with 8 other products. That version 7.2 does include the Motion Prediction Module. I don't know that Photoshop CS6 Extended has a motion estimation module for video work, does it? Does After Effects CS6?. So definitely, you'll find stuff you like better in either product.

Hello,
    Wow, not even remember this topic!!
    Well .. Months passed ... And days ago, I came across a forum topic here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14975/
    So, I'm not anything silly, I did what millions did: downloaded the adobe photoshop CS2, and free!
    Note: only now adobe put a warning in red at the top of the page, but this warning was not there when the lowered million ...

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Free is always good and nice. CS2 is a bit old. But it's a good start for free, that's for sure. We have free versions of Dogwaffle too, some through Trialpay (you buy something else you really need, like an antivirus or flowers for mother's day), and choose a free copy of Dogwaffle. Several to choose from. There's also a free 1.2 version on download.com. And v5 was free for a while at squirreldome. But that said, it's universes apart from what PD v5 offers and hat the latest PD v8.2 (Skyock's Egret) offers. See for example the GPU-accelerated 3D elevation maps used for landscape painting and modeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uml6K81wRJQ&list=UUhhWiBVGa-zLq52myfi-UlA&index=1

(look for the slide show at the end)

Likewise, look at differences between CS2 and CS6 Extended.

You know, I don't think you can say it's one or the other. You'll find stuff in any program that makes you wish you had this. It's a matter of choice, focus, and often sheer money. I use a freeware called Irfanview a lot. Therefore I don't care if Dogwaffle supports Jpeg or others, I can almost always find ways to convert. What you need is a non-lossy (aka lossless) format) while you work with it, i.e. a native to the app format. Dogwafle works best with its 'Default Targa' format but can also export to a few others.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

I come from a traditional art program (drawing, painting) and Painter's digital version of traditional art tools cannot be beat. I hand draw all my bird textures and Painter is invaluable for that.

Do you know ArtRage Pro? If so, how do you think it compares to Painter?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited March 2013

The access to Adobe CS2 products are not strictly legal unless you already have licenses for them. They're intended to be a place to re-download a pre-activated copy for people who need to re-install but haven't moved on to more current versions. This was necessitated because Adobe seems to have dropped the ball and lost their license activation database for the CS2 era products. Clumsy! 8-o

Another alternative instead of full legal copy of PhotoshopCS6 ($800) is their trimmed down version named PhotoshopElements ($125) It has many of the features that casual users need. Much of the technology that was cut out from full Photoshop is stuff relating to alternate color methods (CYMK, spot color, etc.), used for professional printing by magazines, newspapers and advertising companies. Casual users never see that stuff.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • edited December 1969

Howler and Photoshop are both image editing applications. The difference is one of focus. Photoshop leans toward photo editing and Howler is a paint program. Consider Corel Painter, for example, which goes all the way into simulating traditional media to almost an extream. I would say Howler sits somewhere in the middle between Painter and Photoshop in terms of ratio between editing and painting. Howler however has an aspect that is missing in the other two, and that is a focus on visual effects, 3D work, video, film, animation and the vfx industry. (Actuallly, the other two have some of those elements as well, as there is overlap in functions in all paint programs)

Howler is a brush centric paint program with animation.
    Photoshop is a tool for photography, illustration, and etc.
    Painter is a natural media centric paint program.