To upgrade or not to upgrade?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am trying to get to grips with DS 4.0 and am trying to decide whether I should upgrade to the latest version (4.5, I believe). My concerns are

1 will my content still be findable? (I assume, yes)

2 is the interface different (ie will the little I currently understand all be blown away by new confusions?)

3 is there anything significant in 4.5 that I don't have in 4.0 that would be appreciated by a newbie like me (i.e. would the upgrade offer anything worthwhile to the non expert?

Thank you!

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

1. The short answer is "yes," but it could be more complicated than that. Your content will still be findable, but if you use Smart Content you'll find that some things aren't where they used to be. This will only affect the content that comes with the software (the Genesis Starter Essentials) unless you're also updating separately purchased content. If you have trouble finding things, just ask here in the forum and people should be able to help you out.

2. The interface is almost exactly the same. There are a few additions (like the lesson strip) but they shouldn't affect your ability to use the interface you're familiar with. There may be more options in terms of customizing the interface...not 100% sure about that.

2. Yes! For me the biggest one is speed...it's a lot faster to use, and renders more quickly too. Second big one is that some new products require DS4.5...they won't work on older versions. Aside from that, there are some very handy new features...maybe these aren't essential for new users, but some of them are pretty easy to use for non-experts. I've found node instances to be a very helpful addition (on the "Create" menu, choose "New Node Instance"...this will create additional copies of your prop or figure that don't take up extra memory because the system treats them as "instances" of the original). AutoFit works better, too, which is important for many users.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

1. The short answer is "yes," but it could be more complicated than that. Your content will still be findable, but if you use Smart Content you'll find that some things aren't where they used to be. This will only affect the content that comes with the software (the Genesis Starter Essentials) unless you're also updating separately purchased content. If you have trouble finding things, just ask here in the forum and people should be able to help you out.

2. The interface is almost exactly the same. There are a few additions (like the lesson strip) but they shouldn't affect your ability to use the interface you're familiar with. There may be more options in terms of customizing the interface...not 100% sure about that.

2. Yes! For me the biggest one is speed...it's a lot faster to use, and renders more quickly too. Second big one is that some new products require DS4.5...they won't work on older versions. Aside from that, there are some very handy new features...maybe these aren't essential for new users, but some of them are pretty easy to use for non-experts. I've found node instances to be a very helpful addition (on the "Create" menu, choose "New Node Instance"...this will create additional copies of your prop or figure that don't take up extra memory because the system treats them as "instances" of the original). AutoFit works better, too, which is important for many users.

Great. Thanks SO much.

Most of my content is not smart content (would that it were). But now they make Michael and Victoria for Genesis, I am going to switch exclusively to Genesis from now on (I never really used to use it, because it wouldn't take V4/M4 content).

I'm upgrading tonight then :)

edited February 2013

OK, two more quick points then, about finding your content:

1. If you upgrade to DS4.5 without updating your content, you may get some error messages when you try to use your content. But don't be alarmed...the content will still work and you shouldn't have any issues using it. If you update the content to the latest version, it'll fix the error message issue. If you update your content, you may be pleasantly surprised to see that some things that didn't used to show up in Smart Content do show up there now!

2. If you use the new DAZ Install Manager, be aware that by default, it installs things to a different location than you are used to. You can change the default location if you would like to. See here for a lot more information on the DAZ Install Manager: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/235837/ and http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/start

Go ahead and upgrade the software first...you can make decisions about your content afterwards. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

OK, two more quick points then, about finding your content:

1. If you upgrade to DS4.5 without updating your content, you may get some error messages when you try to use your content. But don't be alarmed...the content will still work and you shouldn't have any issues using it. If you update the content to the latest version, it'll fix the error message issue. If you update your content, you may be pleasantly surprised to see that some things that didn't used to show up in Smart Content do show up there now!

2. If you use the new DAZ Install Manager, be aware that by default, it installs things to a different location than you are used to. You can change the default location if you would like to. See here for a lot more information on the DAZ Install Manager: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/235837/ and http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/start

Go ahead and upgrade the software first...you can make decisions about your content afterwards. :)

When you say "update the content" do you mean re-purchase it? Most content (like props, clothes etc) doesn't come in versions, does it?

edited February 2013

Sertorial said:

When you say "update the content" do you mean re-purchase it? Most content (like props, clothes etc) doesn't come in versions, does it?

Actually it does. You can find the current version number on the online readme: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start (you'll need to know the SKU number...you can find this on the item's product page, just above the product description).

There's a list of content that has been updated here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/ and http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

You can either reset your download from the Itemized Order History page accessible through your My Account page, or you can use the new installer. Either will allow you to download the most up-to-date version. Sometimes these include fixes of previous issues, sometimes they make other changes (like fixing the "Dupllicate ID" error messages or updating metadata for use in Smart Content).

There's certainly no need to re-purchase.

Edit: Important point I forgot to mention...if and when you start using the DAZ Install Manager to manage your content, it will keep track of what updates are available so you don't have to hunt them down.

edited December 1969

Sertorial said:

Actually it does. You can find the current version number on the online readme: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start (you'll need to know the SKU number...you can find this on the item's product page, just above the product description).

There's a list of content that has been updated here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/ and http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

You can either reset your download from the Itemized Order History page accessible through your My Account page, or you can use the new installer. Either will allow you to download the most up-to-date version. Sometimes these include fixes of previous issues, sometimes they make other changes (like fixing the "Dupllicate ID" error messages or updating metadata for use in Smart Content).

There's certainly no need to re-purchase.

Edit: Important point I forgot to mention...if and when you start using the DAZ Install Manager to manage your content, it will keep track of what updates are available so you don't have to hunt them down.

But surely the download manager would only re-install content purchased from DAZ? What if you've bought content from other suppliers?

edited December 1969

Correct. It won't work with (and won't affect) content you get from elsewhere. More detailed answers in the other thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16104/P870

edited December 1969

Correct. It won't work with (and won't affect) content you get from elsewhere. More detailed answers in the other thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16104/P870

HELP! I upgraded to 4.5 and it can't find any of my smart content! I am getting errors!

And what is that broken text near the tool selector it looks like "pres...er...Pres"

Untitled-1.jpg
    1273 x 784 - 144K
    edited December 1969

1. Did you also install "Genesis Starter Essentials?" That contains Genesis and the other content that's bundled with DS4.5.
    2. Try clicking that little icon that appears on your screenshot next to the button for "DAZ 3D Store." Choose "reimport metadata." That may fix it...

edited December 1969

1. Did you also install "Genesis Starter Essentials?" That contains Genesis and the other content that's bundled with DS4.5.
    2. Try clicking that little icon that appears on your screenshot next to the button for "DAZ 3D Store." Choose "reimport metadata." That may fix it...

1. no, but I already have Genesis from DAZ 4.0
    2. It doesn't have an option of reimport metadata. Only "make pane undockable" "Make pane group undickable" " close pane"

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

You need the latest Starter pack which has been updated to work with the currant version.

edited December 1969

It's recommended that you download the latest version of Genesis Starter Essentials. I know the DS4.5 installer would have uninstalled DS4...I'm not sure if it also uninstalled the content that came bundled with it.

To reimport metadata (I don't have DS on the computer I'm using at the moment, so sorry for the incorrect information), you may need to click on the "Content Library" tab and then click that icon.

edited December 1969

It's recommended that you download the latest version of Genesis Starter Essentials. I know the DS4.5 installer would have uninstalled DS4...I'm not sure if it also uninstalled the content that came bundled with it.

To reimport metadata (I don't have DS on the computer I'm using at the moment, so sorry for the incorrect information), you may need to click on the "Content Library" tab and then click that icon.

I tried the content library tab - there is no option to re-import metadata.

But it's not just Genesis, it's screwed up the entire content library! E.g. if you click on the category "hair" you get a jumble of all kinds of content (scenes, props, figures)!

I am so cross now. I specifically asked if this would screw up my content. I really wish I hadn't upgraded

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Once you link on the icon you need to go into Content DB Maintenance and then check off Re-Import Metadata. You can also right click on the content library tab and access it that way

edited February 2013

Hmm....that's the method I use to reimport metadata...not sure why it isn't showing up for you, but I'll take a look when I get home. I have a feeling it's because you're using a different interface than me. I'll give more specific instructions on it when I can.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing in the Content Library? I hadn't heard of DS4.5 doing anything different there. So sorry you're having trouble with this. :(

Edit: Thanks, Frank...I forgot the important "Content DB Maintenance" step!

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Once you link on the icon you need to go into Content DB Maintenance and then check off Re-Import Metadata. You can also right click on the content library tab and access it that way

Ok, thanks. I did that.

Now I can see V5 at least in my smart content window under figures. But still Genesis is showing an exclamation mark. It appears to be trying to load the Genesis.dsa file from here

C:\Users\Admin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis

instead of here (where the content actually is)

C:\Users\Admin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis\Characters

i.e. it's looking one directory level up

edited February 2013

Ok, although V5 appears as smart content, it won't actually load it because it says Genesis is missing!

If I have to re-install all my content I am going to be seriously p***ed off!

Untitled-1.jpg
    1223 x 830 - 233K
    Post edited by Sertorial on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Did you reinstall Genesis Starter Essentials? It's a separate download in 4.5.

edited December 1969

I do highly recommend you install Genesis Starter Essentials. For several months I was running DS4.5 with the then-current version of Genesis Starter Essentials, and didn't update any other content until this past weekend.

Since I haven't tried it, I couldn't give advice on running DS4.5 without installing Genesis Starter Essentials...

edited February 2013

I do highly recommend you install Genesis Starter Essentials. For several months I was running DS4.5 with the then-current version of Genesis Starter Essentials, and didn't update any other content until this past weekend.

Since I haven't tried it, I couldn't give advice on running DS4.5 without installing Genesis Starter Essentials...

Ok, I am trying really hard not to be massively p***ed off about this. I realise you were trying to be helpful, but it's SO depressing having all my content utterly screwed by upgrading to 4.5.

I had spent months trying to organise my runtime by categorizing and tagging content with keywords so I could use text search to find it in the disastrous and illogical mess that is the DAZ CMS. Now I feel all that is wasted as I will probably have to reinstall all my content from scratch.

I have never before come across a piece of software that messes up your content merely by upgrading! This is so basic!!

Installing Genesis starter essentials has not fixed the problem. Even the smart content is screwed up (see how poses and clothing appears under the "figures" tab!!

Untitled-1.jpg
    899 x 1023 - 251K
    Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

What you have in the screenshot appears to be everything associated with the product, "Genesis Starter Essentials." Try switching from "Products" view to "Files" view. That should give you the results you're looking for, I believe.

edited December 1969

What you have in the screenshot appears to be everything associated with the product, "Genesis Starter Essentials." Try switching from "Products" view to "Files" view. That should give you the results you're looking for, I believe.

you were right, thanks :)