WillowRaven's latest model/product requests: Legend of the Seeker outfit

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited August 2017 in The Commons

*EDIT: It came to my attention that some believe if an item is made according to my specs, that I hold ownership of said product. I state here now, any prop, figure, character, pose, or texture created for me, by request in this forum, whether I pay to have it created or whether it is given freely, the CREATOR of the item retains ownership. I am only ever asking for usage rights. I am an artist myself and rarely sign over ownership rights and I don't expect anyone else to, either. Feel free to sell or give away anything I ask to be made unless I specifically request otherwise in advance. And trust me, I will charge the author or publisher for those ownership rights on your behalf and make sure you get paid handsomely. Back to the thread ...

Since I am forever asking for some special object or model for the books I illustrate and create covers for, and we are all starting fresh in the forum anyway, I figured I'd create one thread for them all, which would kill several birds with one stone.

One bird: I can have one place to easily find the people that have done for me before or wish to be added to my "I bow to DAZ modelers" list.

Second bird: I can show those samplers what they are helping me to create (showing off the characters &/or settings and then the finalized book cover or illustration) , since so many of them do this for free, although I have always offered to pay.

Third bird: I won't be filling up the forum with multiple requests just because they are for different projects.

Fourth bird: I have noticed my requests turn into learning ground for many of the co-modelers. I don't want them to feel they have to go all private if info in being shared for the betterment of other, just because it happens to be for a request I made. So, having a thread that they can discover new techniques in about the stuff I request may be easier to follow if I only have one of them.

Fifth and major bird: I won't forget where my crap is ... lol.

Hopefully this will work. Maybe someone who knows more about how for forums work can tell me when a fresh thread needs started and how I go about doing that ... lol.

I am so glad the forums are back!

Having said all of that, the projects people were working on for me when the forums went down look great. Luckily, a couple of you already had my email and could continue to work with me while we were on the dark side of the moon.

I'd like to show those now and thank everybody who helped, even if I didn't get to use your particular version this time around (there tend to be several really cool interpretations to my requests). I do keep them all for future projects, though. I may still have to tweak positioning of the dragonfly, at at the distance it will be, it may not matter. Knowing me, I'll still do it ... lol.

The pentacle and the dragonfly pendants:

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited May 2012

Awesome! (*_*)... though I would say that, wouldn't I? ;-)

I hope our little band find their way back to this thread - DaremoK3, SimplePlanning, WinterFlame, Lyrra, and the spectators too. The more the merrier, and it's great to see how everyone interprets the requests differently ^_^.

*sets out a plate of chocolate cookies*

Post edited by M F M on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,700
    edited December 1969

Five birds? what kind of birds are they?

I like the dragon fly thing on that gal.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Five birds? what kind of birds are they?

I like the dragon fly thing on that gal.

Oh, I only throw stones at the mean ones that are the eyes and ears of the Dark One (for my Jordan fans ... hehe).

The lovely dragonfly was finished by MFM, as was the pentacle. We already had each other's emails from a previous request, so finishing up wasn't as hard for us as it would have been for the others that were working together on stuff. I'm not sure if either have been posted anywhere or not. (M?)

I do hope the rest of the party shows up. I found it fascinating watching ya'll build my toys. Ya'll have something I just don't see myself having ... patience ... lol.

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

slightly OT, but I love the draping on her dress and both the cloaks. Which ones are they?

• edited December 1969

im around just busy and unhappy with the changes

edited May 2012

Shaaelia said:
    slightly OT, but I love the draping on her dress and both the cloaks. Which ones are they?

Thanks, Shaaelia :D

The cloaks are Optitex's Controllable Dynamic Cloak: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/controllable-dynamic-cloak-for-daz-studio

The dress is the Maiden Fair Dynamic Gown, but I modified the neckline to suit the story's needs: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/maiden-fair-dynamic-gown

BTW, how do I make the urls active now? * never mind, it seems to do it for me :D

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Still here as well...

M F M:
    That dragonfly turned out freakin/frackin/frelling (please excuse my knockoff-English/Caprican/Luxan) incredible! I love how Aidana shaded/textured it, and its placement on the model. Well done to the both of you.

And, these cookies taste kind of funny with my beer. May I please have some nachos instead?

Love the pendant as well. Who's pendant did you end up using Aidana? And, I thought you were going for smooth stones. Nevertheless, it looks awesome!

Take care all...
    Ken

edited May 2012

DaremoK3 said:
    Still here as well...

M F M:
    That dragonfly turned out freakin/frackin/frelling (please excuse my knockoff-English/Caprican/Luxan) incredible! I love how Aidana shaded/textured it, and its placement on the model. Well done to the both of you.

And, these cookies taste kind of funny with my beer. May I please have some nachos instead?

Love the pendant as well. Who's pendant did you end up using Aidana? And, I thought you were going for smooth stones. Nevertheless, it looks awesome!

Take care all...
    Ken

Good to see the gang hanging in there, considering all that's been happening.

The pendant is MFMs, too. With the site going down when it did, it made it hard for me to communicate with every. MFM and I already had exchanged emails, though when I had some custom weapons made a while back. :D

I've fallen in love with shaders, but don't have one for jemstones yet. I hope the blue 'wet paint' doesn't look too fake :( Luckily, it won't be a close-up on this cover, so I have time to change up later. :D

edited December 1969

... That dragonfly turned out freakin/frackin/frelling (please excuse my knockoff-English/Caprican/Luxan) incredible! I love how Aidana shaded/textured it, and its placement on the model. Well done to the both of you.
    <(^_^)... you're too kind... although she's wearing it upside down (at least, from how I was thinking when I modelled it ^^). If I'd known it was going to be worn "tail up", I would have put the rotation point at the tip of the tail, rather than in the head X).<br />

It's alright, they've all gone anyway *looks guilty*... (>.>)... (<.<)... ;-)</p>

By the way, if anybody else wanted the pendant or the dragonfly and haven't received it yet (after the schemozzle of the previous forum departure), please send me a PM here and I'll get a copy to you. As stated before, they're very simple PP2s which will require a little MAT work to bring out the shine - so they're not quite 'render ready', but as you can see from Aidana's render, they don't turn out too badly with a little polishing ;-).

*waiting idly for Aidana's next challenge/request...*

EDIT: heheh... I do like the possibilities of playing with the quote text in this new forum software... >:-)

edited June 2012

Ok, guys, here is my latest custom item request & the description given by the author. The base I'm using is M4 in DS3.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything with her.

Commander Camdus (who is a wizard - purple fire from his ring which is a diamond set between two serpent heads (serpents are entwined to make the band) with a ruby set in each serpent's head for an eye.

Make sense to my modelers out there?

As usual, I am willing to negotiate a fee or gift certificate. :D

edited June 2012

I have an idea how to do that (curve modifier basically), but... only _one_ ruby for the eye? does that mean you only see half of each serpent's head? (so, instead of the head being 'flat' against the surface of the finger, it's tipped up sideways)?

"... with _a_ ruby set in _each_ serpent's head for _an_ eye." as opposed to "two rubies set in each serpent's head for their eyes" ?

Post edited by M F M on
    edited June 2012

Maybe she's thinking only the outer eyes would show.

But for my own aesthetic, and the fact that I'd like to use it for other purposes than barely seen on this posed figure (like maybe for the close-up on the back cover, so I can place the blurb or bio in the ring), lets do both sets of eyes.

Could we make it kind of bulky-manly ... like a class ring or signature ring? So it can be seen on a tiny book cover ... lol.

And ya know ... a complimentary ladies piece for V4 wouldn't be distasteful, either ... lol. Though hers would be more delicate, naturally. That's IF it's not too much trouble ...

I just thought of something... would my metal shaders remove or cover any snake scales? How would I avoid that if it did?

I think I just answered my own question thanks to another thread. Check this out: http://calida3d.com/calidastore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=34 I think it will look nice. :D

edited June 2012

Yeesh, I can't model for peanuts >_<... here are some feeble WIP possibilities attached BELOW, because this ADVANCED FORUM SOFTWARE does not allow us to embed images (with 'click for larger' type abilities) the same way the PREVIOUS one DID. X(... *can you tell I'm really loving the Progress?...*</p>

The snake head is nowhere near complete yet, because I was more curious about whether the idea for twisted Curves would actually work (which, fortunately, it does look like it's going to (^_^)>). The original door sausage is down the bottom, duplicated up to exhibit "A" in the top-right with the heads "sideways" and the tails untwisted. Exhibit "B" in the middle has the heads "up" and tails twisted slightly, and exhibit "C" in the lower-left has "sideways" heads (therefore one ruby eye each (^_^)h), and the tails twisted gently.

I'm afraid I'm not good enough to make 'masculine' or 'feminine' looking rings - you get what you get <(^_^) - although I'm happy to accept advice on proportion and shape if you do want to take the time.</p>

From a "realistic" pov, I guess exhibit B would be able to "clamp" the gem most securely (because the 'mouth' of each snake would hold the gem firmly in place), but exhibit C I think might be what the author was trying to get at with that sentence.

Which way/one should I spend time cleaning up? (^/\^)... (you're going to say something inconvenient like 'all of them', aren't you? X).

snakeRing01_ss1.png
    800 x 679 - 509K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited June 2012

M F M said:
    Yeesh, I can't model for peanuts >_<... here are some feeble WIP possibilities attached BELOW, because this ADVANCED FORUM SOFTWARE does not allow us to embed images (with 'click for larger' type abilities) the same way the PREVIOUS one DID. X(... *can you tell I'm really loving the Progress?...*</p>

Peanuts it is :P. No, seriously, as always, I am willing to work out something, because I certainly don't have the time nor the patience to learn this myself ... lol. I don't work for free and I certainly never expect any one else to. Although I am eternally grateful to all of you who make freebies for us saps who have no aptitude for this. Realy, if you need something for your time, just PM me :D

The snake head is nowhere near complete yet, because I was more curious about whether the idea for twisted Curves would actually work (which, fortunately, it does look like it's going to (^_^)>). The original door sausage is down the bottom, duplicated up to exhibit "A" in the top-right with the heads "sideways" and the tails untwisted. Exhibit "B" in the middle has the heads "up" and tails twisted slightly, and exhibit "C" in the lower-left has "sideways" heads (therefore one ruby eye each (^_^)h), and the tails twisted gently.

Hey, your further than I'd be ... lol. It's so cool seeing this from it's core elements and structure. Sort of like a rudimentary sketch before the live study. :D Totally cool!

I'm afraid I'm not good enough to make 'masculine' or 'feminine' looking rings - you get what you get <(^_^) - although I'm happy to accept advice on proportion and shape if you do want to take the time.</div>

Of course, I am happy with what I get, but in my mind, men's rings are fat and bulky. So if I were drawing this, I'd draw the snake fatter, with a larger, more defined head. Where as with a woman's ring, this is about the right shape. Just my opinion. You're the modeler, here. And again, it will be fairly discrete on the cover. It just needs to be there and may be used for promotional needs later where it will more clearly be seen.

From a "realistic" pov, I guess exhibit B would be able to "clamp" the gem most securely (because the 'mouth' of each snake would hold the gem firmly in place), but exhibit C I think might be what the author was trying to get at with that sentence.

Hmmm ... I like how C wraps best. It's smoother, more fluid. I like all of the head directions ... lol. But I read and re-read he description again and noticed the central gem is a diamond, and the rubies go in the eyes. So maybe ... the heads on B would hold the diamond better while allowing us to see the eyes/rubies.

Which way/one should I spend time cleaning up? (^/\^)... (you're going to say something inconvenient like 'all of them', aren't you? X).

Me? Say something like that? I feel like you don't even know me! ... Well, now that you mention it ...

No ... for real ... I will be ecstatic with one version. ;P Of course ... IF you really really like all of the designs ... then I can definitely find use for them. :D:D:D

I wonder ... what would it look like if the two heads/mouths were closed, and they sat 'ear' to 'ear ' (parallel) with just enough room between them to hold the diamond. And then the 'outer' eyes would hold tiny rubies. Maybe that's why the author only mentioned two eyes ...

Thoughts?

edited June 2012

M F M said:

Peanuts it is :P. No, seriously, as always, I am willing to work out something, because I certainly don't have the time nor the patience to learn this myself ... lol. I don't work for free and I certainly never expect any one else to. Although I am eternally grateful to all of you who make freebies for us saps who have no aptitude for this. Realy, if you need something for your time, just PM me :D

Whoops! ... sorry, I was having a rant at the site software in general, not at you Aidana (^_^)n... you didn't see the previous edit of that message with a gigantic picture (which subsequently got sized down), as well as the multiple items in my cart that weren't worth a warning that I'd already purchased (fortunately pulling them out just at the last page before payment)... as well as the lack of a link in my inventory (after I'd manually searched for the right page X) to the product that I _had_ bought (because the contents of bundles are STILL not spelled out... X(.

I'm afraid I'm not good enough to make 'masculine' or 'feminine' looking rings - you get what you get <(^_^) - although I'm happy to accept advice on proportion and shape if you do want to take the time.</p>

Of course, I am happy with what I get, but in my mind, men's rings are fat and bulky. So if I were drawing this, I'd draw the snake fatter, with a larger, more defined head. Where as with a woman's ring, this is about the right shape. Just my opinion. You're the modeler, here. ...

Ok, I'll keep that in mind (^_^).

Hmmm ... I like how C wraps best. It's smoother, more fluid. I like all of the head directions ... lol. But I read and re-read he description again and noticed the central gem is a diamond, and the rubies go in the eyes. So maybe ... the heads on B would hold the diamond better while allowing us to see the eyes/rubies.

Should there be more twists in the "strap" of the ring do you think? I originally had 4 or 5 90deg twists along the bodies of the snakes, but that made the "strap" look a bit bulky, as well as needing many more segments in the bodies to smooth it out - of course, you normally wouldn't see that section of the ring when somebody is wearing it, buuuuut... ;-).

I wonder ... what would it look like if the two heads/mouths were closed, and they sat 'ear' to 'ear ' (parallel) with just enough room between them to hold the diamond. And then the 'outer' eyes would hold tiny rubies. Maybe that's why the author only mentioned two eyes ...

Thoughts?

'ear' to 'ear' o.O... like... er... this? (from the modelling point of view, there's a certain amount of randomness in exactly what orientation the heads end up being in, after I finish twisting the ring "strap" around... so I'm not expressing a preference either way <(^_^)).</p>

snakeRing01_ss2.png
    800 x 685 - 221K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited June 2012

Whoops! ... sorry, I was having a rant at the site software in general, not at you Aidana (^_^)n... you didn't see the previous edit of that message with a gigantic picture (which subsequently got sized down), as well as the multiple items in my cart that weren't worth a warning that I'd already purchased (fortunately pulling them out just at the last page before payment)... as well as the lack of a link in my inventory (after I'd manually searched for the right page X) to the product that I _had_ bought (because the contents of bundles are STILL not spelled out... X(.

No probs :D When I heard that the site no longer gave warning of previous purchases, it made my spreadsheet even more necessary. What I first did was after copy/pasting my entire IOH to it, I then reset all of my bundles so I could copy paste the individual files right below the bundle name from the download area. That way I don't make the mistake of buying something twice just because the first time I bought it it was in a bundle. The only PITA thing about the spreadsheet is that every time you buy something new, you have to manually find it in the IOH 9but only the one time) to add it to the right spot in your spread sheet. If you haven't seen the tutorial for it, the link and discussion is in this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/566/

Should there be more twists in the "strap" of the ring do you think? I originally had 4 or 5 90deg twists along the bodies of the snakes, but that made the "strap" look a bit bulky, as well as needing many more segments in the bodies to smooth it out - of course, you normally wouldn't see that section of the ring when somebody is wearing it, buuuuut... ;-).

No ... I think I like the smoothness in the twist, rather than the angles you are describing. And although the MC is wearing it for the cover, and it's not a close shot, I am hoping to be able to use the ring as a stand alone prop to be used for the back cover, not on a hand. Maybe put the blurb inside the circle, like you see it in shot D at the bottom right.

'ear' to 'ear' o.O... like... er... this? (from the modelling point of view, there's a certain amount of randomness in exactly what orientation the heads end up being in, after I finish twisting the ring "strap" around... so I'm not expressing a preference either way <(^_^)).</div>

I like it ear to ear like this :D Looking at the top view (A), I am thinking it would look really cool if the ends of the two tails extended just long enough to finish the setting of the diamond. Most rings have at least 4 points to their setting, so it would serve two purposes. One, it would prevent the ring from poking the wearer or catching on stuff, and two, it would stabilize the diamond. I used PS to stretch the end of the tails to show what I mean. :D Would this be too difficult?

I'm thinking the two ruby eyes would look best parallel to each other, sort of centered on the diamond. I was guesstimating where the rubies would go, using the contact sheet you provided, and I put little white dots where the eyes would rest according to the shape of the head (right in front of the widest part of the head and slightly on top rather than the side) and used the line tool to see how they lined up (yellow).

Thoughts?

Untitled-1.jpg
    777 x 665 - 47K
    edited June 2012

I have been given more details about the character and some of his props:

He does wear a sidearm, a mini-nucleo which a kind of lazer gun that's sleek and black or blackish gray. He wears a belt with a holstert for the sidearm and he is battle worn. ... But if his face is covered with the helmet's shield, then the reader can't see that. Oh yes, he wears a small leather pouch around his neck inside his uniform, but it would be showing in this scene most likely 'cause he wouldn't have taken the time in the heat of battle to put it back inside his shirt/jacket.

I think I can find most of this except for the neck pouch. Anybody in the mood to give it a go? (M4/DS3)

edited June 2012

I have a new request. I need a crystal shaped like a sword, like this:

scan0002.jpg
    406 x 777 - 38K
    edited June 2012

Snake ring is looking good M F M.

I had an idea about making it more male/man-ring...

What if you created a base man-ring and merged your snakes into it (bas-relief style)?

What you have now makes for a good female ring. You could always go with enlarging your serpents to anaconda size, and double wrapping the bodies around (outwards) to make up the girth for a man-ring. What do you think?

Aidana:
    I did a quick job on the SwordCrystal. This is how I see it from the illustration. Let me know what you think of the base design, and how I can improve upon it to suit your needs. Please keep in mind, I created this with the cutting of a real crystal in mind to achieve this shape, so the shape might not coincide with the authors vision if he/she doesn't understand how one cut would affect another in the structure.

Next, I need to know if the crystal needs smooth bevels at every faceting (sharp for now in WIP), and especially so for both end-points and cross-bar points. The picture makes everything seem smooth beveled with no sharpness anywhere. Is it just a smooth crystal which resembles a sword? Or, is it meant to be a crystal sword? Which would warrant at least one sharp point, me thinks. What say you?

Clipboard02.jpg
    672 x 610 - 34K
    Clipboard01.jpg
    735 x 610 - 42K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited December 1969

I could probably create the leather neck pouch as well, but I would need a little more info on it from you.

I am envisioning an approximately three inch (length) by 1 - to - 1 and a half inch (width/depth) round pouch with a drawstring at the neck.

Is it like this, or is it more of a flat pouch with a flap closure?

What is the approximate size?

What color leather?

Any other details available?

edited June 2012

DaremoK3 said:

Aidana:
    I did a quick job on the SwordCrystal. This is how I see it from the illustration. Let me know what you think of the base design, and how I can improve upon it to suit your needs. Please keep in mind, I created this with the cutting of a real crystal in mind to achieve this shape, so the shape might not coincide with the authors vision if he/she doesn't understand how one cut would affect another in the structure.

Looks great to me so far. Much better than I could do ... lol. I tried looking for ANYTHING crystal in 3D and all I could find as a reference was http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=61970&TopID=11219.16972.18262, which is no longer available.

Next, I need to know if the crystal needs smooth bevels at every faceting (sharp for now in WIP), and especially so for both end-points and cross-bar points. The picture makes everything seem smooth beveled with no sharpness anywhere. Is it just a smooth crystal which resembles a sword? Or, is it meant to be a crystal sword? Which would warrant at least one sharp point, me thinks. What say you?

It is a crystal which resembles a sword. In an initial draft shown to the author I indeed used a real sword and tried to make it look like a crystal with a shader and her sketch was her response ... lol. It's a majickal crystal that emanates a light/energy that travels through the ceiling of a domed structure creating a force field around a kingdom, so it's not intended to be used as a weapon. Does that help?

Author's words:

Well the top of the funnel/cone (the pointy end for want of a better word!) goes out through the roof and the magic is directed into the sky which creates the force-field around their 'world' like a giant bubble effect covering their city/forests/lakes etc. I called it a funnel in the book. Does that make sense? lol R

Oh, almost forgot ... the author sent me a secondary sketch to illustrate how the crystal is mounted when is use. It stands raised on a plinth, then a rock, with a metal setting of sorts (like a jewel would have, only designed for this rather than a ring or something). Her modified sketch:

scan0001(1).jpg
    337 x 777 - 30K
    edited June 2012

DaremoK3 said:
    I could probably create the leather neck pouch as well, but I would need a little more info on it from you.

I am envisioning an approximately three inch (length) by 1 - to - 1 and a half inch (width/depth) round pouch with a drawstring at the neck.

Is it like this, or is it more of a flat pouch with a flap closure?

What is the approximate size?

What color leather?

Any other details available?

Lol, I had to switch gears quick, because this is for another book ... lol. I was looking in the wrong file, dumbfounded as to why I couldn't find the description the author gave me. :roll:

"he wears a small leather pouch around his neck inside his uniform, but it would be showing in this scene most likely 'cause he wouldn't have taken the time in the heat of battle to put it back inside his shirt/jacket. "

How I imagine it is similar to the medicine pouches Native Americans wear around their necks. I'll find a few I like and post those as examples, after I verify with the author.

Thanks, good questions :D

*After Hearing from the Author*:

"I think it's just a simple pouch, worn fairly smoothly under the shirt. I expect it to look well-worn as his father gave it to him when he was a young man entering the military academy, warning him not to open it unless he had no other options. Camdus is a wizard, so anything is possible, right?"

I imagine by that it would resemble a medicine pouch or bag, just not so Native American in style. I did a bing search and came up with a lot.

Here is the link http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=medicine+pouch+necklace&qpvt=medicine+pouch+necklace&FORM=IGRE#x0y1292

But I think this would best suit the character and the over all image. Here is a crop of the draft so sizing can be estimated and I've added dots and lines to show possible placement and motion ( he's in a fight and moving, so it should be able to move, too).

effect_3.jpg
    154 x 213 - 27K
    MBAllDsknOSGRP_op_266x300.jpg
    266 x 300 - 16K
    edited June 2012

I have been given more details about the character and some of his props:

He does wear a sidearm, a mini-nucleo which a kind of lazer gun that's sleek and black or blackish gray. He wears a belt with a holstert for the sidearm and he is battle worn. ... But if his face is covered with the helmet's shield, then the reader can't see that. Oh yes, he wears a small leather pouch around his neck inside his uniform, but it would be showing in this scene most likely 'cause he wouldn't have taken the time in the heat of battle to put it back inside his shirt/jacket.

I think I can find most of this except for the neck pouch. Anybody in the mood to give it a go? (M4/DS3)

I was wrong when I thought I'd be able to guess what the author wants for the gun. I asked her to describe it better for me and this is her response:

The gun is very sleek, without a proper hammer or trigger. It's something like an electric razor (I know, that's lame but it's how I see it). It has an ergo handle that curves around to a slightly more slender barrel that would not have a hole in it but would have like a glass or some sort of cover that the energy from it would pass through. I see it as having the handle engraved to give it a grip.

Even after reading this, combine with the underlined potion in the above quote, I am still not sure what it should look like ... lol. How hard would this be for somebody to do and what would be needed in trade or compensation?

I found a fazor that sort of fits her description ... maybe ...

STTNGHMSBoomerangPhaser2.jpg
    777 x 583 - 220K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Well, that's a Star Trek Next Generation Phaser - so you don't want anything too close to it.

edited December 1969

Well, that's a Star Trek Next Generation Phaser - so you don't want anything too close to it.

Lol, I agree that we don't want to copyright infringe ... lol. She does want something original while still accommodating the text. I'm thinking start with this in mind, but round edges and a slim barrel the eds not in a hole, but a light or dome or crystal or something scifi-ish ... lol.

Ideas?

edited December 1969

Aidana,

I am ready to send the crystal to you. Is your email still the same from the last time I sent you a file?

I am only sending you the OBJ with included UV template (if you need it), and the ZIP is under 200kb. You will have to import, and size the crystal in DS3 to your needed requirements. I did not create a texture, because I believe you will be using a crystal/gemstone shader for it. I did some shader tests with some freebie shaders I have (from other creators), and they are in the pics below.

Here are pics showing the final mesh. Look, see... No sharp, pointy parts... It is now a smooth crystal which only resembles a sword. I hope this will suffice. If not, I can make any necessary alterations if you need me to. Please check out the mesh thoroughly from all angles, and inspect close-up. Let me know what you think:

Crystal03.jpg
    725 x 600 - 40K
    Crystal02.jpg
    725 x 615 - 37K
    Crystal01.jpg
    450 x 612 - 20K
    CrystalTips.jpg
    735 x 616 - 40K
    edited June 2012

DaremoK3 said:
    Aidana,

I am ready to send the crystal to you. Is your email still the same from the last time I sent you a file?

I am only sending you the OBJ with included UV template (if you need it), and the ZIP is under 200kb. You will have to import, and size the crystal in DS3 to your needed requirements. I did not create a texture, because I believe you will be using a crystal/gemstone shader for it. I did some shader tests with some freebie shaders I have (from other creators), and they are in the pics below.

Here are pics showing the final mesh. Look, see... No sharp, pointy parts... It is now a smooth crystal which only resembles a sword. I hope this will suffice. If not, I can make any necessary alterations if you need me to. Please check out the mesh thoroughly from all angles, and inspect close-up. Let me know what you think:

This is so totally cool! I was going to use an ice shader I have, since I don't have any gemstone ones. There is a free gemstone shader for daz somewhere? If so, can I please have the name or link?

My email should be the same, but just in case: willowraven.illustration at yahoo.com

My addy is highly public for business, so I don't mind posting it here.

You know, this would make a cool vamp killer, too ... lol.

edited December 1969

I don't think the final version of the crystal would suffice to kill the undead. First version prototype maybe, but the final crystal is so dull you couldn't pierce the air with it, let alone any fleshy beings with supernatural abilities.

But, I digest...

O.K., I started on the neck pouch project. I went with a simple drawstring two cloth-piece version. I still need to model the cord ties (what is there now is only temp for illustration purpose) with a square knot. I don't plan on modeling the neck-cord necklace though (which would require rigging), so you need to find one to add the pouch "pendant" to.

In the pics below I used Chris Cox's freebie neck-cord for V4, and sized/positioned it to M4. You could possibly do this, or another idea I had was to use a freebie EasyPose rope (or rope-type product) to use as the neck-cord. These are just some options if you don't have a dedicated neck-cord already.

Now, let's talk details. I am currently searching for worn leather examples, and I even found a good freebie texture I am going to try out. I will be distressing the leather with 3D painting (the fun part of the project).

As far as details go, do you have any particulars?

Do you need exposed stitching? (I could create via displacement maps) If so, running the length of edge, or perpendicular top-stitching?

Currently, the stitching is internal without a visual seam line. I can leave as is, or I can add a morph to give appearance of internal seam folded over. Whatever you prefer.

I was also thinking of doing a piping style trim (with or without visible stitching) around the seam lines that would resemble the picture more that you have above, if you wish.

What color worn leather is it supposed to be? Currently, I have a deep brown leather (real leather) texture applied. Do you require it to be lighter, or darker? Keep in mind I am talking about the original leather pre-distress.

WIP pics below. I sized/rotated/positioned to M4 at spot I think it would be. Please let me know of corrections you would like. I will create it as prop that will load in at default position you need. The pouch is roughly three, by one and a half, by a half inches:

WIP_04.jpg
    785 x 652 - 37K
    WIP_03.jpg
    785 x 652 - 59K
    WIP_02.jpg
    785 x 652 - 53K
    WIP_01.jpg
    655 x 800 - 66K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    I don't think the final version of the crystal would suffice to kill the undead. First version prototype maybe, but the final crystal is so dull you couldn't pierce the air with it, let alone any fleshy beings with supernatural abilities.

Lol, you're probably right ... lol. But it looks really pointy in my scene ... lol. Hey, if Buffy can use a broken chair leg, the I can use a dull wooden sword-like thingy ... lol. Did you happen to see the bracket or setting that is needed for it? I'll attach it here, again for you to see if it would be too hard to throw together. If you don't have time, let me know and I'll fudge something because this cover's deadline is Monday.

But, I digest...

O.K., I started on the neck pouch project. I went with a simple drawstring two cloth-piece version. I still need to model the cord ties (what is there now is only temp for illustration purpose) with a square knot. I don't plan on modeling the neck-cord necklace though (which would require rigging), so you need to find one to add the pouch "pendant" to.

In the pics below I used Chris Cox's freebie neck-cord for V4, and sized/positioned it to M4. You could possibly do this, or another idea I had was to use a freebie EasyPose rope (or rope-type product) to use as the neck-cord. These are just some options if you don't have a dedicated neck-cord already.

I have a neck cord I picked up somewhere for some of the other 'pendants' my Daz friends have created for me. :D BTW, got a link for that cord for v4?

Now, let's talk details. I am currently searching for worn leather examples, and I even found a good freebie texture I am going to try out. I will be distressing the leather with 3D painting (the fun part of the project).

As far as details go, do you have any particulars?

Do you need exposed stitching? (I could create via displacement maps) If so, running the length of edge, or perpendicular top-stitching?

Currently, the stitching is internal without a visual seam line. I can leave as is, or I can add a morph to give appearance of internal seam folded over. Whatever you prefer.

I was also thinking of doing a piping style trim (with or without visible stitching) around the seam lines that would resemble the picture more that you have above, if you wish.

What color worn leather is it supposed to be? Currently, I have a deep brown leather (real leather) texture applied. Do you require it to be lighter, or darker? Keep in mind I am talking about the original leather pre-distress.

Yeah, really worn looking brown leather. It's old and has been handed down through the wizard family. According to the author, we can get jiggy with it and be as creative as we like. So have some fun. :-)

WIP pics below. I sized/rotated/positioned to M4 at spot I think it would be. Please let me know of corrections you would like. I will create it as prop that will load in at default position you need. The pouch is roughly three, by one and a half, by a half inches:

I have a cropped render here to show about where it should land, but I can always move it later if need be.

scan0001(1).jpg
    337 x 777 - 30K
    MBAllDsknOSGRP_op_266x300.jpg
    266 x 300 - 16K
    effect_3.jpg
    154 x 213 - 27K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

*sneaks in and settles down in dark corner to lurk and learn.