Original Model from ZBrush (3.5) to Daz Studio (3)

edited December 1969 in New Users

Anyone able to tell me please, how i best go about importing a model from ZBrush 3.5 to Daz Studio 3?

I try and try and besides the model being way too big, I also have no colours.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI statistx

Since Daz studio 3 doesn't have the GOZ plugin,. you're option would be File/Import , and choose your model OBJ format.
    the colours/textures can be loaded manually using the Surfaces tab, (if they don;t load with the OBJ)

OBJ and MTL files work best if they are in the same folder as your texture maps.

Once you have the model inside Daz Studio, you can save the shaders and model as a daz Scene.

One issue that's really common in Z-brush users is creating a Highly detailed model, and then trying to load that into a 3D program, and it usually results in a crash since the High detailed mesh from Z-brush may be hundreds of thousands of polygons, or higher.

for example : the Daz3D "Genesis" figure is 18 thousand polygons.

You can get the High detailed surface features on a much lower polygon model, by using a "Normal map" exported from Z-brush.
    and applying that to a lower poly model,.

Hope it helps :)

• edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI statistx

Since Daz studio 3 doesn't have the GOZ plugin,. you're option would be File/Import , and choose your model OBJ format.
    the colours/textures can be loaded manually using the Surfaces tab, (if they don;t load with the OBJ)

OBJ and MTL files work best if they are in the same folder as your texture maps.

Once you have the model inside Daz Studio, you can save the shaders and model as a daz Scene.

One issue that's really common in Z-brush users is creating a Highly detailed model, and then trying to load that into a 3D program, and it usually results in a crash since the High detailed mesh from Z-brush may be hundreds of thousands of polygons, or higher.

for example : the Daz3D "Genesis" figure is 18 thousand polygons.

You can get the High detailed surface features on a much lower polygon model, by using a "Normal map" exported from Z-brush.
    and applying that to a lower poly model,.

Thanks, the issue i got though is that there isn't really any mtl file when exporting from zbrush or any other texture related file, just an obj.
    Possibly i need to do something else in Zbrush first, but currently i have no clue what that may be.
    I just picked a brush and painted on the model, so maybe that is a pointer what I'm missing?

For the polygons i just saw the decimator and I guess that will be of help to get it to a polygon count around the genesis figures (thanks for the info)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI statistx :)

In Z-Brush, you need to define UV Mapping on the model,.. that tells it how to to project the texture map you will create.
    You can also Paint directly onto the model, using the brushes with colour and no "Z" depth / height.

The reason you only get an OBJ and not a MTL file is that there is no Materials and mapping applied to the model yet

You can find good tutorials an all of this on the Pixologic site.

It's also worth spending some time learning Z-brush tools and working through the tutorials before you jump into sending the model out to a 3D program.

Also,.. If you're using Daz Studio 3,.. then you should get your hands on Daz Studio 4 pro, which I think is still "available for free".
    It comes with the GOZ plugin.
    and that will allow you to send your model from Z-Brush to Daz Studio, and back if you need to.

• edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI statistx :)

In Z-Brush, you need to define UV Mapping on the model,.. that tells it how to to project the texture map you will create.
    You can also Paint directly onto the model, using the brushes with colour and no "Z" depth / height.

The reason you only get an OBJ and not a MTL file is that there is no Materials and mapping applied to the model yet

You can find good tutorials an all of this on the Pixologic site.

It's also worth spending some time learning Z-brush tools and working through the tutorials before you jump into sending the model out to a 3D program.

Also,.. If you're using Daz Studio 3,.. then you should get your hands on Daz Studio 4 pro, which I think is still "available for free".
    It comes with the GOZ plugin.
    and that will allow you to send your model from Z-Brush to Daz Studio, and back if you need to.

Yeah, i got the free Daz 4 Deal, but don't know if it works with ZBrush 3 and also i dislike DS4 cause of how the library works and somehoe my performance is a worse with it.
    Spent a lot of time with tutorials, but more about how to sculpt, since i thought it is enough to just paint on the object, but will look into tutorials for texturing

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

What are your system specs to see if we can troubleshoot the performance issue.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,842
    edited December 1969

ZBrush 4 is a free upgrade for owners of ZB3, too, so you could be using the current versions of each - with the GoZ bridge. Though you'd still need to uv map, and convert your poly-painting to an image.

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    What are your system specs to see if we can troubleshoot the performance issue.

It's basically stability, but i guess that is because my library is messed up since i tried to merge it with my old one. I just don't like the new interface :)
    But reading this i thought that i might be able to import it, save the scene and then load it in DS3 right?

Regarding ZBrush update...my computer doesn't like Versions with 4 in it, it seems.
    I get random crashes and since I'm a notorious non-or late-saver, that gets pretty annoying ^^

• edited December 1969

ok, just wanted to let you know that i seem to have got the missing step now. I just imported one of the models into daz 3 and it got the right texture on it.
    Won't help me with the last model i made, since there is something messed up that happened somewhere during the process, but at least i know what to look after in future works :)