pretty confused

moonpotatomoonpotato Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I 'bought' daz 3d from their site and was told to download it, i needed install manager software,
so i downloaded the install manager, and it downloaded 2 'packs' genisis starter essentials and genesis starter essentials PoserCF
when it had finished downloading them, it installed them both..
so.. im thinking, thats it then ? how do i start daz 3d ?

but.. it doesnt seem as if there is a daz 3d- the software is nowhere to be found, so after some searching i found a link to daz 3d in my 'downloadable products'

i installed and then opened daz, however theres no content, though the 'install manager' says its downloaded those two packs, they dont appear in daz. so, i opened up the folder where they downloaded to. i noticed the files are dxs files, im not sure how what to do with the files, it doesnt seem as if daz can open them, and theres no self evident way to install them.. as in- properly install them, so that they work in daz. i went to my account, downloadable products and found a link for the larger of the two packs and am downloading it now in the hopes that it will be a meaningful installer-

perhaps a 'how to install daz studio' somewhere might be nice once youve completed checkout ?
what exactly is the install manager supposed to do ? and most importantly
whats the process for installing daz with the starter content actually supposed to be ??

i suppose i must have missed a 'getting started with daz' document at some point, but after checkout i was just sent straight to the install manager download.. so yeh.. pretty confused

thanks

Comments

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I think you cannot install DAZ studio itself with the download manager. You must download it from your account (where you already found it under Downloadable Products). You can download Genesis starter essentials from there too. First install DAZ studio, then the Genesis starter essentials (this contains content for DAZ studio). They should be EXE installers which you run and all should be installed. The Install Manager is brand new, was released only a few days ago, so there are probably still some things that were not addressed properly by DAZ company yet - like explaining to complete newbies how to install DAZ studio.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The default content location that Install Manager will install to on Win7 is:
    c:\users\public\documents\My DAZ 3D Library
    If you didn't specify a different location, launch DAZ Studio and go to the Content Library tab. Next to "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" will be the names of the content folders DAZ Studio is looking in, probably "My Library". Right-click on "DAZ Studio Formats" and choose "Add content folder", and give it the path above. Then right-click on "My Library" and choose "Remove". Do the same thing for "Poser Formats".

edited February 2013

The Install Manager downloads files, and also installs files. You can choose an option to install right after download, or not. In the second case Install Manager will only download them and then wait for you to tell it to install them as well. So, did you only download them, or did you also install them with the Install Manager?

If you installed Genesis Starter Essentials in a wrong location, that might be the cause why you aren´t seeing them inside of DAZ studio. The folder to which all content should be installed is in Documents ((but not the software itself, that is in Program Files), the path warries depending on the OS you are using.

Post edited by Proxima Shining on
  • moonpotatomoonpotato Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yep it installed them aswell, it did it automatically, fixmypcmike thanks for your suggestion, im sure that would have worked, but ive just downloaded the packs manually for now

i think it was just very frustrating not having any kind of 'how to install daz guide' for - as proxima shining put it- complete newbies- ie- pretty much 100% of the people who would have just 'bought' daz 3d right!? instead it dumped me on a page that said- to install daz 3d studio, you need the install manager..

after downloading the content from the site, it worked fine. thanks for the help ppl!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Which brings up a question- I havent used the new download manager, do I HAVE to use it or can I just click on the files and install the few manually that I have left to buy? (Will get to the downloader eventually)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Which brings up a question- I havent used the new download manager, do I HAVE to use it or can I just click on the files and install the few manually that I have left to buy? (Will get to the downloader eventually)

Yes, you can continue to use the old "My Downloads" page if you wish. I don't think those have switched to zips yet. If you prefer zips, you can use the Install Manager just to download them, and install manually.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) I'm still using Taozen's for February, so not an issue YET.
    Cathie

• brad.rose.hunterbrad.rose.hunter Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I have the same problem. Didn't follow the answers. Downloaded the program. An hour later I'm thinking how the &*## do I run it. Can't figure it out. Don't need to waste my time downloading again. No executable files, only a half gig of wasted space. Thanks for tryin'.

On to something else ....

• draconaadraconaa Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

omg thank you for posting this... I had the SAME problem. Why is there no direct download link?

I went to My Account then to My Downloadable Products, and at the end (several pages in) is the program itself.....

Post edited by draconaa on
    edited December 1969

draconaa said:
    omg thank you for posting this... I had the SAME problem. Why is there no direct download link?

I went to My Account then to My Downloadable Products, and at the end (several pages in) is the program itself.....

That depends on when you bought said items. If you bought the program first and other items after that, then of course the program will be listed as the last item. In My Downloadable Products newly bought products are added to the start of the list of downloadable files, and oldest items are at the end of that list.

Also, the default shows only 15 files per page in My Downloadable Products, but you can change it to 50 per page, and then you won´t have to go through so many pages.

But I agree that the current way is very confusing for newbies. Before the Download Manager (DIM) was released (which was last month), we had to download everything from My Downloadable Products - both program and content. You had no DIM which would install content for you. So for us old dogs this is an improvement, but DAZ seems to have forgotten new members, who then have no idea how to install the software - they are told to download & install with DIM but no-one tells them that for the DAZ studio software itself they must use a different way.