Hair Posing Tutorials?

White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi there,

I am in the process of learning how to style/pose hair in DAZ, and I am not sure where to start? I see that some hair types can be styled using using the Slider controls in DAZ 'dynamic', and other types are 'static' where they seem to be more like a prop? Are there any tutorials anyone can recommend please?

:-)
Thank you!
Mark

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have nevr heard of tutorials on styling hair, but that does not mean that there aren't any :)

I see that some hair types can be styled using using the Slider controls in DAZ ‘dynamic’, and other types are ‘static’ where they seem to be more like a prop?

I'm not sure what you mean by suing the slider controls in DAZ Dyanamic. There are often morphs which come along with a hair models for moving different parts of the hair, but they are in the Parameters pane, is that what you mean?

Some hair models are props, but most are in Poser format (CR2) character files, the props would usually be in PP2 format. You should always look in the Paramters pane with the Hair selected in the Scene pane, to see what has been supplied. There is usually a 'Readme' file as well, which you can access when installing the hair object.

Is there any particular hair that is giving you problems?
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I have made a hair tutorial that does have some information on styling, although the focus is primarily on other issues: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5646/

I am planning to add a section to the tutorial that goes into more detail on the subject of styling, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I know that Smart Content in DAZ Studio categorizes some hair as "static" and some as "articulate," but I'm not entirely sure what the distinction is...I'll have to look into this. I'm guessing that articulate hair has "bones" in it that can be posed like the parts of a character's body, but I could be wrong about that. Both kinds typically have a variety of morphs. There is such a thing as "dynamic hair" in some applications, but not in DAZ Studio. However, the newish plugins "Look At My Hair" and "Garibaldi" are procedural hair systems that in some ways act like dynamic hair (you can comb it, cut it, etc.). As JimmyC_2009 said, some hair models are props and some are "conforming figures." The latter is more common. Hope this is helpful!

• White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

Is there any particular hair that is giving you problems?

Thank you for the reply. No, not any particular hair, I just wanted to get a general guide as there seems much more to mastering the process.

Thanks again!

• White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

Thanks Scott! Wow! This is great! Exactly what I was looking for! I am working through this right now! :-) I am a newbie for adding hair, and I would really like to get very familiar what can be done with this.

Thanks again,
    Mark

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

You're very welcome, Mark! If any additional questions come up that the tutorial doesn't answer, feel free to ask. :)