Remapping D|S models - where to find the files?

PtropePtrope Posts: 679
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I want to redo the UV mapping on a model - in this case, the Genesis Bikini - but I don't really know where to find the geometry, nor how to use remapped geometry with either D|S or the DSON-compatible stuff in Poser. With Poser-native files, I can find the OBJ in the Geometries folder, I can open it in UVMapper, I can modify it and I can put it back. I'm not familiar with the D|S method - so far, I don't know if this has external geometry at all, or how to find it, or how to make it use the remapped geometry. Is there some easy method for comprehending the D|S "under the hood" tricks?

Since the Genesis figures seem quite capable of swapping UV mapping, is it possible to also do this with other articles, not just characters?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

you have to export your figure to OBJ, re-map it, then save that from your UV Editor (UVMapper, Hex, Bodypaint or whatever) to OBJ.

Then goto Edit/Figure/Load UV Set and load the new OBJ.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Thanks! A couple more questions:

1. Does that process work with Poser? I know Mec4D offers a utility to swap UVs in Poser, but that's just for the Genesis figures.

2. If I create new materials in the UV, will they appear in the figure even if I can swap the UVs? Having one material is too inflexible for my purposes, in general.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

You can add new surface areas in studio without having to take it out to another program. Canary3d has a lovely tutorial.

http://www.canary3d.com/tutorial/Tute-CustomMatDSPro.zip

• artsclusiveartsclusive Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

HOLY HELL@Khory that TUT is just the thing I needed! Happened across this thread by complete mistake and learned something VERY VALUABLE! I've been trying to make elbow patches the old fashioned way for the Genesis Business Suit jacket but this would make it WAAAAY simple! CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I've used it a number of times to add extra material areas so that shaders would work properly. The only time it really goes badly is if the model just does not have enough polys or none in the right places.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited February 2013

Khory said:
    You can add new surface areas in studio without having to take it out to another program. Canary3d has a lovely tutorial.

http://www.canary3d.com/tutorial/Tute-CustomMatDSPro.zip

Thanks, Khory. I might try this out, although it still doesn't get me any closer to making these changes available in Poser. In fact, it doesn't appear to even make them available in DAZ unless it's in the scene that the user saves - the instructions in the tutorial don't say anything about saving the item as a new asset, only that this change is limited to the scene in which it is created.

I'm looking to create a permanent asset, one that I can use in D|S and Poser, rather than something that can only be used in D|S. In Poser, to do this, all I need to do is modify the OBJ however I want, save the modified file, and copy the PP2/CR2/whatever, modify the path to the OBJ, and voila, it's available and it's permanent. I have no idea where to start in order to have that sort of functionality when the item in question starts out as a D|S asset and can only be accessed through a Python conversion in Poser at the time it's selected.

Anyone?

Is this a matter of loading the item in Poser, then saving it as a new Poser-only item - perhaps in a different Runtime, and then making the changes there? It's the only way I see at the moment of keeping the morphs and all, but then will it lose its Genesis functionality of being able to follow the figure through any scaling or morphing that is part and parcel of the Genesis format?

Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited December 1969

In fact, it doesn’t appear to even make them available in DAZ unless it’s in the scene that the user saves - the instructions in the tutorial don’t say anything about saving the item as a new asset, only that this change is limited to the scene in which it is created.

It will be saved how ever you save it. If you save it as a scene then yes only the scene. I've saved them as prop assets though and never had an issue with the changes not being retained. They are also saved on export as an object.