Worst Smileys Ever!

de3ande3an Posts: 915
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What a motley crew of emoticons we have in this new forum!
Look at them!
These boys just ain’t right.

There's none that I would call a simple plain smile, and there's not even a normal frowny face among them. (Perhaps we're not supposed to show displeasure here?)

All in favor of importing the smileys from the old forum, say aye.

Comments

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited June 2012

de3an said:
    All in favor of importing the smileys from the old forum, say aye.

Aye!

I find a use for some of these, a merge would be great.

We could vote on which ones would go into More Smileys, and which would be in And There's These Smileys, Too.

If inline image posting worked, I'd be importing various smileys myself.
    Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

These seem derived from (and in a few cases virtually identical to) the classic MSN Messenger emoticon set, which, being old school, I actually like. However, most of the good ones are missing (see top dozen or so in that link), in particular a plain smile. This rather coy smile: :) really doesn't convey the emotion of a simple smile. However, I'd rather see the more serious problems with the forum fixed before worrying about smileys, which I rarely use in any case. Getting the threads in last posted to order, for example, and the ability to conveniently post images in the way that we have come to expect on virtually any forum on the internet—and paragraphing. My desire to participate in this forum (and concomitantly my desire to purchase from the store) has been reduced to about a fifth of what it was, I would say.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited June 2012

Yep, it's a low priority... we're just being optimistic and looking ahead, I guess.

I tend to use smileys, if I can't fashion my words well enough to avoid possible misperceptions of my intent.

In terms of things-that-suck in life, this new-software business is just another one, heh.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

i can't even get the smileys to work at all....

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,683
    edited December 1969

How about have a contest again for smileys made with emotiguy?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited December 1969

I REALLY miss the old smileys.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791
    edited December 1969

:vampire: :-):lol::P:coolgrin::snake: :roll: :kiss: :red:

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I REALLY miss the old smileys.

What really needs to be implemented is the ability to add off site images to posts that would expand the ability to post smileys a lot.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

To be fair though, these smileys are cute in their own way. I love the vampire one. I do miss the evil smileys from the old forum though.

That being said, there are far more important things I'd rather have them fix than smileys. Like sorting. They can not even get simple sorting by newest thread fixed. Now I'm going to keep quiet because there are a lot of bad words on the tip of my tongue which I'd rather not utter regarding this mess.

edited December 1969

I like this :vampire:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited December 1969

The devil smiley was the best. They could just bring that one back and I'd be happy.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited June 2012

Frank0314 said:
    The devil smiley was the best. They could just bring that one back and I'd be happy.

Yep, I loved the "evil" and "wicked" and "devil" ones, so merge in the old smileys please, but make sure there's a simple sad smiley. Even the list shown above doesn't have a simple :( or :-(

But as I mentioned in a similar topic thread, the purpose of smileys is to communicate an emotion. The definition of "communication" is "An exchange of mutually understood symbols." If we have too many subtle smileys then they fail the "mutually understood" criteria and lose their effectiveness. :ohh: Make sure we have an easily viewable "Smiley Dictionary"! (*light bulb*)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

Aye!

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2012

I like current smilies. Old were good too, but new ones remind me of many good conversations I had over IMs, when I still had them. New smilies are puffy and yellow, like little ducklings :)

Post edited by Kattey on
  • VilianVilian Posts: 281
    edited December 1969

Current ones are not that bad, but I miss old ones. Especially snoring one - probably because it was my creation ^.^

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

They need to add this one!

Is it just me, or is there something decidedly Kinky about a Cow eating Ice Cream?

mooo.gif
    90 x 108 - 40K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791
    edited December 1969

well, kinda like having mother's milk frozen, not freshly suckled.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

well, kinda like having mother's milk frozen, not freshly suckled.

Funny...

I drew a completely different analogy 8-/