Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

I haven't read this thread so pardon if this has been asked and answered before but when I wanted to download it I can only find a 32bit version for Windows? Really? Is there a 64bit version planned or is it going to be only 32bit?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is a 32 bit version, yes. It runs fine on Win 7 64 bit for me.

Are you having problems with it?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    I haven't read this thread so pardon if this has been asked and answered before but when I wanted to download it I can only find a 32bit version for Windows? Really? Is there a 64bit version planned or is it going to be only 32bit?

that's all we have been told about - runs on 32 and 64 bit - that's why .

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

I haven't downloaded and installed yet and thought I'd ask if there's a 64bit version planned. So I gather it's most probably not planned then.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

This program uses very little overhead. Even on my very large order history (nearly 4000 items) it's only using 50mb or so of RAM.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I can't find "G4 and F4 for Genesis" in DIM. Is it in the queue to be done soon, or am I just going blind (possible) or..?

Cheers,

Cliff

Well ... they are not even in the store ...
    You can find http://www.daz3d.com/gen-4-iconic-shapes-for-genesis
    and when you click on the links here
    This Bundle Contains:
    A4 and H4 for Genesis
    G4 and F4 for Genesis
    You get 404 not found ...

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So when do the rest of us get it then?

• rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

[moved from members only]
    I am not able to login to DIM. The pop up says ‘unable to login to the specified account’. I have double checked the email address and password (interestingly the password now appears (in brackets) next to my email address in the Account field. I have only the one account.

Any suggestions?

Does your password contain any special characters, e.g. +, &, @, etc?

No, just the basic alpha-numeric combination I have been using to access my account

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I can't find "G4 and F4 for Genesis" in DIM. Is it in the queue to be done soon, or am I just going blind (possible) or..?

Cheers,

Cliff

This Bundle Contains:
    A4 and H4 for Genesis
    G4 and F4 for Genesis

They are in the store here:

http://www.daz3d.com/G4-and-F4-for-Genesis

... but I don't think they have been converted for use by DIM yet.

Hmmm ... I wonder if that has anything to do with the recent release of F5? ;)

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    Kerya said:

Cheers,

Cliff

This Bundle Contains:
    A4 and H4 for Genesis
    G4 and F4 for Genesis

That's the point - they're newer than V3 by some margin and I can get them as .exe installers via regular download, but they aren't showing up in the DIM software.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

I got the download link today, but haven't had a chance to play yet.

One question that I had and can't seem to find the answer (although I have to admit I haven't searched all 51 pages of this thread yet)...

Will this tool help at all with the ZIP files that I already have from other content markets / freebies / etc? Or is this just to help download and install DAZ 3D content from my account?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

It's only for DAZ 3D Content

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Thanks for the quick reply Frank. :)
    Unfortunate as I have a LOT of zip files to install as well, but in some ways those are easier than having to click through the DAZ setup programs.

Would be a nice "version 2" feature to be able to point it at a folder full of zip files and have it figure out how to install them as well. :)

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    Kerya said:

Cheers,

Cliff

This Bundle Contains:
    A4 and H4 for Genesis
    G4 and F4 for Genesis

That's the point - they're newer than V3 by some margin and I can get them as .exe installers via regular download, but they aren't showing up in the DIM software.

Yes, I get it. I'm in the same boat.

edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    Yes, I get it. I'm in the same boat.

Oops, I wasn't clear - I see you get it but Kerya didn't seem to.

Welcome to the boat. Would you like an oar?

Cheers,

Cliff

• edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    Frank0314 said:
    Unfortunate as I have a LOT of zip files to install as well, but in some ways those are easier than having to click through the DAZ setup programs.

Would be a nice "version 2" feature to be able to point it at a folder full of zip files and have it figure out how to install them as well. :)

There's Runtime Zip and Repair by Dimension 3D at Renderosity that does this. The Zip part installs in batches, but the Repair part fixes incorrect paths within the files if there are any. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to buy it today since they have a 15% off coupon you can find under their daily deals tab.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I got it - but I thought the reason for the oversight might be the confusion in the store - maybe they simply overlooked the files because of that.
    Did you file a Bug report?
    There is a section for the DIM now.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    Frank0314 said:

That would be indeed great, but I don´t think it will happen. DAZ company is currently sporting a very business-oriented attitude (note the new EULA and other changes), part of which is that DAZ wants us to buy items mainly from DAZ store, which we then can install easily with their Install Manager. Why should they help us to install content that we bought somewhere else?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I got it - but I thought the reason for the oversight might be the confusion in the store - maybe they simply overlooked the files because of that.
    Did you file a Bug report?
    There is a section for the DIM now.

I did indeed - ID 0049251 for anyone who wants to add an other "Me too".

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    Will this tool help at all with the ZIP files that I already have from other content markets / freebies / etc? Or is this just to help download and install DAZ 3D content from my account?

Sadly, DIM only works with .ZIP files which have been designed with it in mind - so no. However, if you're not on a Mac and the content you've got was zipped up correctly (for direct unzipping), it's fairly easy to select multiple .zip files and just extract them where you want them to go. Macs apparently are less zip friendly, and as I don't have one I can't comment much :(

edited December 1969

sikeus said:
    There's Runtime Zip and Repair by Dimension 3D at Renderosity that does this. The Zip part installs in batches, but the Repair part fixes incorrect paths within the files if there are any. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to buy it today since they have a 15% off coupon you can find under their daily deals tab.
    I have that tool too, but I found it to be a bit glitchy at times. Would hang up after processing 100 ZIPs or so, didn't always handle ZIPs where the artist had an unconventional folder structure, etc.

In the end, I found it easiest to just unzip the files enmasse in a "working" folder strucutre, then move them into my content library by hand.

That would be indeed great, but I don´t think it will happen. DAZ company is currently sporting a very business-oriented attitude (note the new EULA and other changes), part of which is that DAZ wants us to buy items mainly from DAZ store, which we then can install easily with their Install Manager. Why should they help us to install content that we bought somewhere else?

No, I get that. And I understand it from a business perspective. I suppose I could devise some twisted scenarios where it wasn't about supporting other content markets, but we all know that'd just be a cover up. :)

I was hoping the DIM might clean some of that manual process of installing zips and automate for me, but as I said it is more painful to click next, check checkboxes, click next, dropdown list boxes, click next, uncheck "view the readme", click finish ... in the DAZ installers than handling ZIP files; so this should still be a worthwhile tool.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

I installed Genesis Starter Essentials through the DIM with no problems. All of the Genesis stuff used to have to be in the same folder, but as far as I can tell, that no longer applies. You could give it a try. I think it would be good practice to keep them together anyway.

All of the morphs of V4 (and M4) need to go into the same Runtime folder as the base model, that still applies.
    Correct, it no longer applies, however it can definitely cause issues if you have more than one version installed of genesis or of the morph packs.
    edited December 1969

bringho said:
    Sorry if this issue have been discussed during the last week but I just don't have the time to brows through 49 pages of discussion that may point in the right direction...

Thought I should at least try the new Install Manager and download the latest edition of the DSON Importer for Poser as there is a new version out there.

I set it up as per instruction but there is no sign of the DSON Importer in the listing in the Import Manager?!?

Then I started looking for other stuff, none of the purchased apps seem to be there either.

All the radio buttons are set in the 'Download Filters' and IM states that it has found 1163 files ready for download.

So what is wrong?
    Software, plug-ins, non-DS/non-poser content and anything that is DS content that installs outside the Content Directory is not yet implemented in the software. Content that doesn't yet appear is likely not yet done. (Mostly that applies to content that was produced before Victoria 4, though there are exceptions on both sides of Victoria 4.)
    edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    The only reason that you would need a 64 bit version of this is if we started producing zip files that were bigger than about 2GB. :)
  • joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

I installed the beta so far this morning, and so far I have to say I'm unfortunately not very impressed that it's, at this point, going to be particularly useful to me. I recognize that this is a beta product - and probably an early-stage beta product at that, given that some key components that would make this software really helpful for me haven't been installed - but right now, I have serious issues with the following:

1) The routine for installing products with DIM apparently requires that you install items to a different directory from the directory (in my own case, C:/Users/User/My Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library) that I've, to date, installed all characters, clothing, props, etc. I think this needs to be fixed.
    2) I don't like it that, at this point, the beta doesn't recognize anything except what I've purchased from Daz itself in the last few weeks, and doesn't seem to recognize anything pre-existing in the above directory. I find this particularly disappointing as I was hoping that DIM would, in addition to its main purpose, be a utility to help me easily sort out and find the add-ons that I have obtained and installed, not just from Daz, but from Renderosity, Runtime DNA, etc., since I started with Daz Studio.

At this point, and until there are some substantial improvements in DIM, I have to say that the best course for me seems to be to carry on with downloading and installing products manually just as I've been doing up to now.

edited February 2013

Just quickie... while I agree that it's obviously an unfinished beta...

joea64 said:
    1) The routine for installing products with DIM apparently requires that you install items to a different directory from the directory (in my own case, C:/Users/User/My Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library) that I've, to date, installed all characters, clothing, props, etc. I think this needs to be fixed.

You CAN install to your chosen directory! click the little cog in the top right and you can go and add Installation paths to install content to.

Cheers,

Cliff

AddInstallLocation.gif
    510 x 497 - 33K
    Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    I installed the beta so far this morning, and so far I have to say I'm unfortunately not very impressed that it's, at this point, going to be particularly useful to me. I recognize that this is a beta product - and probably an early-stage beta product at that, given that some key components that would make this software really helpful for me haven't been installed - but right now, I have serious issues with the following:

2) I don't like it that, at this point, the beta doesn't recognize anything except what I've purchased from Daz itself in the last few weeks, and doesn't seem to recognize anything pre-existing in the above directory. I find this particularly disappointing as I was hoping that DIM would, in addition to its main purpose, be a utility to help me easily sort out and find the add-ons that I have obtained and installed, not just from Daz, but from Renderosity, Runtime DNA, etc., since I started with Daz Studio.

At this point, and until there are some substantial improvements in DIM, I have to say that the best course for me seems to be to carry on with downloading and installing products manually just as I've been doing up to now.

RE: 2 with few exceptions virtually all DAZ Studio/Poser Content from Victoria 4 to current has been done with more being added daily. (Several times per day, actually.)

It can not know what you have installed by another method. There is no way to know where you installed it or what you have installed. About the only way to do that is to create a database of all the content in the DAZ Store, not jsut the installers, but all the content of all the installers, then scan your Hard Drives and send that to DAZ to compare the lists. (No, we aren't going to do that.) And that presumes that you haven't changed the names of anything.

Even then how many content files do you have named Pants, or Color 3?

There is no way to do it.

As for doing the same thing for other stores? You really expect RuntimeDNA, Renderosity or others to give us that kind of access to their stores? There are already plenty of tools on the market, some of them even free, that work with the zips from the other stores once you have downloaded them.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,006
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    Frank0314 said:

Can the installer by Adrian Hudson still be got hold of? That worked well with zips, but he gave up trying to keep up with the ever-changing Daz installers.

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

I just started up DIM again today and it said I needed to agree to the terms... I just did that the other day.

Is this going to ask me to agree to terms every day?

Anyone else have that happen?

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

But on a positve note - I just got an update notification - that is very cool.

Do you have to uninstall the old file first?