Mac Specefic Help?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in New Users

Is there a good place for Mac Specific Help? I don't want to clog up the general forum with inevitable questions that has less to do with using Daz3D and more to do with using Daz3d on a mac.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I would suggest the Nuts and Bolts subforum. What you ask, share and learn here may be helpful to others who are thinking about or have also just made "the switch." It's not Off-Topic at all. :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

PM Me for Mac Specific questions, or maybe we need to set up a Mac Specific thread.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    I would suggest the Nuts and Bolts subforum. What you ask, share and learn here may be helpful to others who are thinking about or have also just made "the switch." It's not Off-Topic at all. :)

I have a feeling it'll be less "off topic" and more "this is in the mac FAQ."....is there a mac FAQ?:D

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A Mac FAQ thread is something we have talked about in the past. All we really need is a volunteer to start it.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    ...or maybe we need to set up a Mac Specific thread.

Agreed! I run DS on my Macs although I have found that the Snow Leopard (10.6) OS is the only one I haven't had any challenges with the DS software.

Pam: I would be more than willing to assist with a Mac Specific Thread if you need volunteers.

edited December 1969

Well what we need first is a list of FAQs

If people append what they think are FAQs to this thread, then we can take it from there.

Obviously I know ones like

#1 Is there any way to get Bryce working an a Mac running OS X 10.7 or 10.8

Answer Not not directly, but can be used with Parallels or Bootcamp.

edited December 1969

Agreed! I run DS on my Macs although I have found that the Snow Leopard (10.6) OS is the only one I haven't had any challenges with the DS software.

10.6.8 is the best OS Apple ever made.

The problem with FAQs is that they assume everyone has the same milage on their system so to speak.But I have a handful of clean cases to add to the FAQ, like:

Q: My downloaded installers are all broken and I cannot run them. Why?
    A: You are most probably using a third party "no so smart" zip extractor that not only upzip the zip with the installer, but also unzip the installer payload, trashing it.

edited December 1969

One that comes to mind:

Can you/How can you install content that doesn't have a mac installer/ only has an exe file.

edited December 1969

Actually Totte, you would really be the best person to front a mac specif thread, mush more than me. THe only mac I have is the one I use when it rains, and the last time I used a Mac computer was way back when the BBC micro was around, and spectrums and things like that. :red:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Actually Totte, you would really be the best person to front a mac specif thread, mush more than me. THe only mac I have is the one I use when it rains, and the last time I used a Mac computer was way back when the BBC micro was around, and spectrums and things like that. :red:

I know (that's why I joined the CVs), but I need someone like you to create a thread/sticky or so for Mac FAQ, plus a thread for Mac specific Questions, would be great to have then "collected" in one place ;-)

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    One that comes to mind:

Can you/How can you install content that doesn't have a mac installer/ only has an exe file.

I think that's a very rare case as the only company using installers is DAZ and they always have them Mac/PC. DAZ Content on Magazine discs usually are ZIP only, but the answer is:

(a) Use a VM-software (VirtualBox/Parallells/VMWare) with Windows,
    (b) Create an empty runtime folder
    (c) Install to that empty folder
    (d) Zip the folder
    (d) copy it to the mac partition
    (e) Use "my" free RendoInstall to install the zip into your runtime.

edited February 2013

Totte you start the thread, and we can apply the glue and stick it to the forum wall for you, no problems.

Make a starting post, and then reserve yourself some posts as well, so that you can keep editing and add to it.

Just reply and say reserved, or something similar. You will need to alter it slightly with each reserved post, as the forum software doesn't like posts that say the same thing,

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Scavenger said:
    One that comes to mind:

I think that's a very rare case as the only company using installers is DAZ and they always have them Mac/PC. DAZ Content on Magazine discs usually are ZIP only, but the answer is:

Might well be a question that's an artifact of my previous ventures into learning this software over the years, and have no bearing on the modern version(s) of the software (I'm hoping to actually try installing the program on one of my macs this weekend and doing the tutorial i found in the store to see if it gets me revving, so i may have more intelegent questions then :)

Please explain further...Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    [
    Totte said:

Please explain further...Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter
    I've got some free tools to ease the work on Mac OS X with DAZ/Poser. You find them here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463