Daz 4.5 Smart content suddenly stopped showing in smart content panel?

2»

Comments

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited December 1969

It sounds to me like something is preventing CMS from running correctly. You would need to check your anti-virus programs, as they are likely culprits.

You could try stopping any AV programs for a short while (no need to be connected to the internet), then try running CMS and DAZ Studio, it may prove it one way or another. I am running Win7 as well, and I have never had any problems with CMS. The only AV I have running is MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials).

I disabled Norton, made sure CMS was still running, started DazStudio and once again the CMS stopped. I checked the log file and see this.... WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Register Open error: Stream read error.
    DB Register Open error: Stream read error.

Ok, I got it to work!!!! I had to delete the database files within the programdata (invisible) directory and then start dazstudio to re-import the metadata files. Now if I can just remap some of my old content back into the program without breaking it again I'll be very happy. Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your help. It kept me working on it instead of giving up and I now have the latest updates! :)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Something else to learn, thank you. Valentina is the DB that is used by DS, of course, so I will remember that one.

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited February 2013

yea see you people all keep saying that its anti virus software but I don't have any. And the CMS had been working for me in other versions of Studio. but stopped either with me installing the new version, or content. with all the people having the problem on different Windows systems with and with out virus scanners....I tend to believe its Studio/CMS related.

BTW I did a Uninstall of first the CMS and then Studio before posting my first post

Post edited by Arcane Von Oblivion on
    edited December 1969

In some cases, it does appear to have been the AV software.

In this case, it appears to have been the database whcih was at fault, and possibly corrupted fro some reason. All that other users on the forum were trying to do was make suggestions as to what was causing a particular problem. I have been running CMS since the very beginning, and I have upgraded DAZ Studio when the latest version came out, and I have never had a problem with CMS or DAZ Studio, that is why it ws a difficult problem to pin down.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    edited December 1969

Hi, Jimmy_C and others: Well, here's my thread on trying to get CMS to work: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16347/

I'm on a Macintosh, though. Anybody know a way I can get CMS to work?

edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    It sounds to me like something is preventing CMS from running correctly. You would need to check your anti-virus programs, as they are likely culprits.

You could try stopping any AV programs for a short while (no need to be connected to the internet), then try running CMS and DAZ Studio, it may prove it one way or another. I am running Win7 as well, and I have never had any problems with CMS. The only AV I have running is MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials).

I disabled Norton, made sure CMS was still running, started DazStudio and once again the CMS stopped. I checked the log file and see this.... WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Register Open error: Stream read error.

Ok, I got it to work!!!! I had to delete the database files within the programdata (invisible) directory and then start dazstudio to re-import the metadata files. Now if I can just remap some of my old content back into the program without breaking it again I'll be very happy. Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your help. It kept me working on it instead of giving up and I now have the latest updates! :)

See, now I would be willing to try this: delete the database files, but I don't know where that would be on a Macintosh. Oh, well, hopefully DAZ will get this thing repaired and working.

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited December 1969

inquire said:
    azoohouse said:

See, now I would be willing to try this: delete the database files, but I don't know where that would be on a Macintosh. Oh, well, hopefully DAZ will get this thing repaired and working.

Read this. It should help you. https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22523891-Trouble-shooting-the-Smart-Content-Pane

edited December 1969

Read it. Knew most of it. Tried deleting those Content Database files. Reimported metadata. Nope, nada, NOTHING. That accomplished absolutely nothing.

edited December 1969

OK, now it's worse than ever. I completely deleted the Content Database Manager. I uninstalled DAZ Studio and the Genesis Starter Essentials. I also went through my Preferences files and deleted any of the old DAZ plist files, as sometimes a corrupted preference file can cause trouble.

I installed the new version of DS, 4.5.1.56 Mac 64-bit Pro, and I installed the new version of Genesis Starter Essentials. I reinstalled, of course, the Content Database Manager. Only the DAZ Studio Formats and the Poser Formats have triangles after them. That's as it was before.
    However, now the Surfaces (Color) Tab has NOTHING in it. I always had access to Surfaces before. So, I gained nothing and LOST access to Surfaces.

QUESTION: I can find no access to the command to "Reimport Metadata." Where is that, if it's in there, in the latest release of DS?

QUESTION: I can find no access to the Content Management, as there used to be if one went to Preferences. No, Preferences is just a simple tab.

Thank goodness I still have Poser. I'm going to play around with Poser. Poser works. Yea!

edited December 1969

QUESTION: I can find no access to the command to “Reimport Metadata.” Where is that, if it’s in there, in the latest release of DS?

In the Content Library pane, drop down menu, Content DB Maintenance > Reimport Metadata is one of the options.

QUESTION: I can find no access to the Content Management, as there used to be if one went to Preferences. No, Preferences is just a simple tab.

There should be five tabs in the Preferences pane, General, Startup, Scene, Interface and Content Library. In the one labelled Content Library, there is another option near the bottom called Content Directory Manager. You can also access this option from the drop down menu in the Content Library pane, it is called Content Directory Manager.

If you cannot see any of these options, then there is something badly wrong. What Layout are you using? Go to Window > Workspace > Select Layout, and try one of the other ones. I would suggest City Limits, if you are already using that one, change to another one, accept it, then change back.

And lasly, does it say 'DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro' in the title bar, if not, you will need to enter the Pro serial number from your account.

edited December 1969

You can also access this option from the drop down menu in the Content Library pane, it is called Content Directory Manager.

OK, thanks JimmyC_2009: Changing the style helped to make things appear. Yes, it does show DS 4.5 in the info box.

If you cannot see any of these options, then there is something badly wrong. What Layout are you using? Go to Window > Workspace > Select Layout, and try one of the other ones. I would suggest City Limits, if you are already using that one, change to another one, accept it, then change back.

OK, thanks JimmyC_2009: Changing the style helped to make things appear. I did reimport Metadata.

And lasly, does it say 'DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro' in the title bar, if not, you will need to enter the Pro serial number from your account.

Yes, it does show DS 4.5 in the info box.

And, I've got Surfaces working again. However, in the Content Library, the only two items with triangles after them are DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats. The Smart Content Pane still does not work.

So, I do have the latest version of DS, and of Genesis Starter Essentials. By the way, the Duplicate IDs problem still continues. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of those Genesis Components. Nope, that problem still persists.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you run the uninstaller for CMS, or just delete the database files?

edited December 1969

Did you run the uninstaller for CMS, or just delete the database files?

Sorry, I had to sleep, eat, exercise, etc. I'm back. Well, in response to your question:

Well, actually, I could not find the uninstaller for CMS. (Am I just plain dumb?) What is it called? I tried various names. Could not locate it. I did delete the filles in the DS folder under "service," and I also deleted the files in the HD/Library/Application Support/DAZ3D/ -- those CMS files. Are there more to be deleted?

If I can find and do run the uninstaller for CMS. And then uninstall DS PRO (4.1.5.56, the latest version is what I've got along with the latest version of Genesis Starter Essentials) yet again, and reinstall it, do you think that would help me get the Smart Content to work?

Otherwise, what could I do to get Smart Content to work? I really am trying with this thing. I just has never worked for me.

edited December 1969

OMG! This is so weird! I know I tried going to the CM yesterday several times before I closed down and I checked "Reimport Metadata."

Well, I started up DS about twenty minutes ago, tried once again, and things started reimporting. I saw colors changing, etc. The triangles appeared after both Products and Categories. It took longer to accomplish. (I guess it wasn't really importing before, because it was almost instantaneous.) Well, it's finished, and my Smart Content is working. Yipes! Why did it work now and not yesterday?

Should I just thank the gods and be happy?

Now, what about writing my own metadata for the M4, D3 figures and so forth? Are there (please, simple to understand) instructions for that, some which I could understand?

edited December 1969

Now, what about writing my own metadata for the M4, D3 figures and so forth? Are there (please, simple to understand) instructions for that, some which I could understand?

There is a thread here which would help : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15833/#240186

And Patience55 has posted a PDF of the above on ShareCG : http://www.sharecg.com/v/67288/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Creating_Metadata

• SisterofDarknessSisterofDarkness Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

I tried the trick with deleting all the files in the CMS databases including master.vdb (in C: > ProgramData > DAZ3D) and then reimporting all the metadata.

You have to turn off CMS to remove the master.vdb and all the ContentDB files.

Restart CMS, then start up D|S and then reimport metadata.

So far it works :-)

edited December 1969

I tried the trick with deleting all the files in the CMS databases including master.vdb (in C: > ProgramData > DAZ3D) and then reimporting all the metadata.

You have to turn off CMS to remove the master.vdb and all the ContentDB files.

Restart CMS, then start up D|S and then reimport metadata.

So far it works :-)

Thank you. I'm not a Windows user (no "C:"etc.) but I got it working now.