| +---Support
    | \---Textures
    +---ReadMe's
    \---Templates

X Marks the Spot Accessories.URL
    X Marks The Spot Map.URL
    X Marks the Spot.jpg

--------------------------------------

In the example above, having a content folder allows me to separate everything that goes into the library, vs items that are associated but *do not* go into the library.

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

My turn for a couple of questions which are close cousins, two for DIM and one for Studio/CM.

First, since I'm in the crowd that abhors the defaults...I should be aiming DIM's install path at either a Content or My Library folder, correct? i.e., E:\DAZ 3D\Studio 4\My Library\

Pretty sure about this but I'm having some sorting issues and I should have been asleep a long time ago.

Second, I don't use Poser. I don't want to use Poser. Ever again, lol. Should all the standard content be flagged for Studio, such that I can un-check Poser in DIM's Show Download list and not miss anything I might want?

Finally, given that I never plan to need files to work inside Poser...will it bother Studio terribly if I move everything from My Library to Content, (or vice-versa) so I don't have four listings in the root of my content browser? Things like Genesis may need reinstalling...I could deal with that, but I'm tired of having:

DAZ Studio Formats: My Library
    DAZ Studio Formats: Content
    Poser Formats: Content
    Poser Formats: My Library

The forum search is not helping me find the answer to this. I'm sure it's not because nobody's talked about it yet...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2013

You cannot move Poser content to the DS content area or vice versa. My solution as shown in the example above is to mimic the two trees and combine them using catagories. This however is a lot of work, does not work with the DIM, and destroys metadata, so it is only functional if one doesn't mind those very substantial side effects.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Oh now! I didn't think to rename the Content folder to the name of the folder where my Runtime is located.

That might make having that stupid Content folder in the zip easier to live with.

I think maybe it was too confusing, as my explanation confuises even me - so here's a piccy. Here I have a "Cliff Bowman" folder with 10 runtimes in it, each named after a product.

The "Content" folder is changed to the name of the content library that I want to install to - for example, "Toon Teeth" or "Piggy Poses". These library folders contain the Runtime structures as illustrated by the Toon Teeth example.

However, by having the "Content" folder in the zip files, DAZ make it easier for them to automatically install things in the "Cliff Bowman" folder, as it's clearly seperated from anything within the "Content" folder.

What they might need to install there I'm not sure, but that's my reading of the need for the "Content" folder. They might also be able to install things from above the "Content" folder to the "Program Files" folder.

Cheers,

Cliff

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

One reason why the "Content" folder is good to have within the product archive is that in the future DAZ may want to put something besides content into the packages.

edited December 1969

Cliff, given your sorting method, other than installing by hand, you have the option of selecting each content folder in the DIM settings prior to installing that particular item. It may not be ideal and I'm not sure how much easier it is for the installation, but I think that would preserve DIM's database continuity and allow you to use the program for uninstalls.

edited February 2013

Gedd said:
    You cannot move Poser content to the DS content area or vice versa. My solution as shown in the example above is to mimic the two trees and combine them using catagories. This however is a lot of work, does not work with the DIM, and destroys metadata, so it is only functional if one doesn't mind those very substantial side effects.

I know I'll still have the two categories in Studio. I'm just wondering if I can merge the file folders in order to cut the list from four to two:

Post edited by VoltisArt on
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Oh now! I didn't think to rename the Content folder to the name of the folder where my Runtime is located.

That might make having that stupid Content folder in the zip easier to live with.

Gedd pointed out another way of dealing with the issue on the last page, and yet another way would be to rename the folder that you want to install to to "Content", unzip, then rename it back (to "Toon Teeth" in my example from above).

Which way will be best will probably be down to each individual, but my aim here isn't to diss DIM but to find out how to iron out any wrinkles I - or others - may encounter.

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    Cliff, given your sorting method, other than installing by hand, you have the option of selecting each content folder in the DIM settings prior to installing that particular item. It may not be ideal and I'm not sure how much easier it is for the installation, but I think that would preserve DIM's database continuity and allow you to use the program for uninstalls.

Well I don't sort my content to QUITE that degree except for stuff by myself or beta/test stuff from other PAs - but that's certainly the style of content sorting I have - I have a Mil1n2 library, a Mil3 library, a SetsnProps librart, a toon library and so on.

Cheers,

Cliff

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know, can this manager be used to DOWNLOAD only, onto a specified location?
    At some point I need to do a complete backup of all my Daz files.

back to "following my heart" browsing

Of course. You can download only, you just have to un-click the option "install after download". And you can edit and change the path to which the program downloads, no problem here.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,665
    edited December 1969

Things that don't go in a content directory would be shaders and plugins - they go in the application folder, in part - or Photoshop brushes - go in the PS application folder by default, though can be placed elsewhere. At the moment DIM doesn't even handle those, but if it did it would need them segregated I suppose.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Tastiger said:
    Sorry for sounding dense but what is a *Symbolik Link*? As I would like to move the download folder onto an external drive where I keep all my stuff backed up on :-). Thank you and take care :-).

You don't need a symbolic link to have your download folder on an external drive - just set your download folder to your preferred location.
    You will find the settings in settings/ downloads - see below

However if you want to enter the world of sym links - here is a guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Thank you so much Tastiger :-). I get easily confused....lol.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

Darnit. Got the newsletter about the Freebies celebrating the release of DIM. Didn't care so much about the free stuff, but I have 1000s of content .exe and .zip files that I have to re-install after a hard drive crash. Spent a good 15 minutes looking for where to download DIM before I saw the "Invitations are being sent out today and tomorrow" line... :(

edited December 1969

Double-check your inbox anyway for a post with the title "Managing Your Content Has Never Been Easier" - I think DAZ started sending earlier than they expected to.

Cheers,

Cliff

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

No such luck. I'll just have to wait for my invite. Patiently.........

• SarunaSaruna Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Things that don't go in a content directory would be shaders and plugins - they go in the application folder, in part - or Photoshop brushes - go in the PS application folder by default, though can be placed elsewhere. At the moment DIM doesn't even handle those, but if it did it would need them segregated I suppose.

Thank you for your Answer, Richard.

Now I have downloaded every item in the showed list and have installed all of them in a new directory I have created an added in DS 4.5 before this all.
    But now no Metadata is shown. I have reset Database in Database Content Maintanance and a Re-Import-Metadata.

What can I do?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Well, ALL of the zips I've downloaded via the DIM show a Content folder as the parent folder. See the screen shot...
    Right, but no "content" folder is created when Install Manager installs the Contents of that folder.

But if, say, you select a bunch of .zip files and "Extract All..." you're going to end up with all the data in a Content folder?

Cheers,

CliffThat is entirely on you Cliff.

edited December 1969

Lilliana said:
    No offense, Spooky...

But telling me that I will like something, but not providing a Features list and a System Requirements list is only making me hesitant.

I learned with Microsoft not to adopt new software on the first iteration. I already have an Installation Manager that works well for what I need and I would like to see how it compares before I make a decision.

I don't believe I told anyone they would like it. If I did I apologize. What I meant to say was try it before you decide you don't like it.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

With a few exctra confirms potentially, for every time to want to install and for every runtime you want to create, yes - it just seems like an odd extra little dance to put users through when the installer doesn't want them in the "Contents" folder either.

Windows 8 doesn't do that. No more endless pop ups asking you if you want to overwrite. It just does it. One of the new old features they brought back!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Thank you so much for replying Storypilot :) I also have another question or 2 ...I d/l just one file genesis essentials to see where it would download to as the default path, but my default path is set in DIM as

C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads

but in explorer if I follow the path throught the directories it goes

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads

does the extra word Public make any difference or is that how it is supposed to be in Windows7

and if I just check the DS 4.5 box it shows StudioCF files for some products also, which means I must have to install both files

example: Aiko 4 and Aiko4 StudioCF

That Public/Public Documents thing, that looks Ok, and it shouldn't matter, but I use a Mac, so I can't say definitely.

As far as the StudioCF files, yes those you install both. :)

Thank you for your help :)

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

After weighing the pros and cons, it seems like the clean install option is best for me. Off to start now...will report back to tell how it's going.

That is what I decided to do too :) Good luck to you - For me it is going to be a few days of work since I categorize all my stuff.

edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    Kharma, that's correct. Public Documents is the display nick-name of the folder, but Documents is the actual folder name. One of those silly things Windows does to try to be more friendly, like calling the regular Documents folder My Documents. We see the "friendly" name in Explorer but programs see the real name...users are confused and hijinks ensue. Thanks, Microsoft! :P

islandgurl, Tastiger is correct. To clarify, we're only needing symbolic links to move the program to another drive. Download and installation locations can be directly changed via the Download Filters button, which gives you the screen shown above.

Thank you for clarifying that path, I was a little confused as I have never noticed that before until I downloaded the file. thought my windows was a little wonky :)

edited December 1969

In the email I received for the DIM it says to use discount code for 25% off next purchase of DAZ Originals, but now on the promo page there is a 40% discount/ 58% for PC members...does that mean now we don't need that code and will get the 58% off instead automatically?

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

So I installed almost 400 items so far. I just checked and the Victoria 5 Elite Ponytail hair does not show up in my smart content.

It was in the folder however and I got it to load properly.

It is marked as having smart content, but not sure why it isn't showing up.

Is that a bug?

DS 4.5 is running WAYY smoother on my machine, now. Genesis is loading MUCH faster. everything seems to be working so much better. nice with updated genesis and all the extras.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    Gedd said:
    You cannot move Poser content to the DS content area or vice versa. My solution as shown in the example above is to mimic the two trees and combine them using categories. This however is a lot of work, does not work with the DIM, and destroys metadata, so it is only functional if one doesn't mind those very substantial side effects.

I know I'll still have the two categories in Studio. I'm just wondering if I can merge the file folders in order to cut the list from four to two:

You are misunderstanding me as to the categories. Unless they changed something in DS 4.5 (haven't updated my categories since 4.0x and am doing complete rebuild atm) you should be able to create one catagory that merges the two in a single folder type structure. That is one of the main purposes of categories for me. The other being to do what smart content attempts to do, but in a much simpler way. That is, to offer alternative ways to find items by creating categories for specific search methods, like 'Jewelry.'

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Saruna said:
    I noticed that in the download list some items appear to have failed. Is this normal and knows her well of your downloads with the DIM?

It might be a temporary download glitch; if you have any that failed, try downloading them a second time and see if that works.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Saruna said:
    I noticed that in the download list some items appear to have failed. Is this normal and knows her well of your downloads with the DIM?

It might be a temporary download glitch; if you have any that failed, try downloading them a second time and see if that works.

I've found that I have to re-start the DIM to get to install failed installs.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

One improvement for DIM is a way for it to remember the password. Slightly annoying.

edited December 1969

Saruna said:

I've found that I have to re-start the DIM to get to install failed installs.That is weird, if the problem is the connection ( a timeout is the usual cause for a failed download) then simply restarting the download usually does the trick. If the problem is with the file, then it won't download until the file is fixed. (And then you would need a refresh.)

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Saruna said:

I've found that I have to re-start the DIM to get to install failed installs.That is weird, if the problem is the connection ( a timeout is the usual cause for a failed download) then simply restarting the download usually does the trick. If the problem is with the file, then it won't download until the file is fixed. (And then you would need a refresh.)

Not a failed download, but failed install.