S.H.A.D.O.ws from the past - [WIP]

JoEtzoldJoEtzold Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Freebies

Welcome in the S.H.A.D.O. thread dedicated to the 70th TV show UFO.

The old original starting of this theme in old DAZ-site can be found here: DAZ-old thread
The earliest start was in this thread at Renderosity like all began

Attention ! Hint !! On the old forum archive the links to embedded images are broken. Thank you DAZ ! If you want to see that images you may play the manual wizard to display them by this following doings:
1. Find such a line in the text
2. copy this part
postimages/origimage_1_2263158.jpg
3. open a new browser window
4. and past the the copied portion behind the first part of the archive URL
http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/
5. so in total the link in the browser should read like this
http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_2263158.jpg
It's just easy ... especially for one image ... Maybe someone may solve this also later. Otherwise without the images the old forum archive might be more or less worthless ...

All links from the old site about UFO stuff will be found here in the heading message (plus the newly added stuff).
All Stuff is Poser-ready but should work also in D/S except that it might be neccessary to adjust the textures cause often poser procedurals are used. If not other named the stuff matches V4 and/or M4.

For stuff posted under UFO but not being UFO I will set up new threads e.g.:
- Avengers forever open Avengers thread
- Solo for U.N.C.L.E. open Uncles thread
- V - The Visitors open Visitors thread
-
So then we have the things sorted correctly.

Cause it seems to be impossible to push images between text line (for the moment??) all images can be found at the end of the postings. And the sorting of the images is following the naming or other mysteries. So sorry for some mismatches. Maybe this can be changed later (?).

So lets start the UFO stuff ===>>>

Buildings and Vehicles

S.H.A.D.O. moonbase control room environment
Introductory photo from TV set control room
26.03.2010 Base preversion als pure dome dome pure
10.05.2010 complete moonbase controlroom with tunnel and non-canon restroom, all including furniture etc. moonbase complete

Paul Foster's Falcon hit the road
06.02.2011 Based on SteveKitt's mesh ... the FALCON car, all including material etc. Falcon

Straker's Hawk out of the garage
10.07.2011 Based on SteveKitt's/Noxiart's mesh ... the HAWK car, all including material etc. plus added Straker's pistol as prop Hawk

Clothings - female

Girls moonbase outfit for V4
Introductory photo from TV show Lt. Ellis on moon
UFO uniform for V4-Bodysuit by Epithumia UFO uniform for V4 Bodysuit

24.07.2010 moonbase and skydiver uniforms, all including material etc. uniforms moon and skydiver
12.08.2010 headquarter uniform plus version 2 of other tops, all including material etc. for the new stuff uniforms headquarter and addons

Girls party outfit from UFO-Series for V4
Introductory photo from the TV set Linda's dress , partygirl
31.10.2010 Party outfits for the girls, all including material etc. party and day-by-day outfits
Impractical garments for the girls, all including material etc. Shado-Warrior outfits

Clothings -male
- further WIP

Morphs, Characters, Hair e.t.c.
Some basic Poser materials and Paris hair morph Moonbase materials
and the needed Paris Hair by Lisbeth V3 Paris Hair by Lisbeth

SteveKitt has done some fine face dialings and morphs for the S.H.A.D.O. operatives. Find them here in his portfolio Steve at shareCG

06.04.2011 Gaby Drake aka Lt. Ellis morph by GSayers2005 Ellis face morph
20.09.2011 Gaby Drake aka Lt. Ellis Off-Duty-Hair by GSayers2005 Ellis hair

Gaby Drake aka Lt. Ellis dialed Ellis dialed on V4

Molly Rocket Launcher Fire ....

other interesting links
Informations about UFO TV show UFO series homepage
The new UFO movie homepage. It's coming SOON ... :lol: UFO official movie site
3D models of UFO vehicles by Anthony Appleyard (mid of page) UFO vehicules
or on this alternative site UFO vehicules
Earth and Moon texture maps Planet maps
Gerry Anderson UFO models References
Not directly UFO but near theme Moonbase Alpha Space19999.org

--------------------------

Following images are showing content from moonbase package.

Post edited by JoEtzold on

Comments

• JoEtzoldJoEtzold Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Following images are showing content from Falcon and Hawk packages.

image_3_2987823.jpg
    600 x 294 - 26K
    image_4_2939870.jpg
    600 x 412 - 30K
    image_2_2748949.jpg
    600 x 344 - 37K
    image_3_2755342.jpg
    600 x 413 - 39K
    image_1_2743107.jpg
    600 x 412 - 26K
    edited May 2012

Some images from the moonbase and skydiver female uniforms.

image_3_2444534.jpg
    600 x 390 - 36K
    image_2_2444534.jpg
    600 x 363 - 38K
    image_1_2444534.jpg
    600 x 312 - 34K
    image_1_2436063.jpg
    600 x 511 - 36K
    image_1_2437360.jpg
    600 x 415 - 27K
    edited May 2012

Uniform stuff used for party with adjusted colorings.
    And some images from headquarter and party outfits and the addons.

image_1_2606806.jpg
    600 x 412 - 38K
    image_1_2579576.jpg
    600 x 578 - 24K
    image_1_2469822.jpg
    600 x 420 - 34K
    image_2_2465297.jpg
    600 x 449 - 46K
    image_4_2444534.jpg
    562 x 600 - 38K
    edited May 2012

Some images about face morphs and hair and weapon stuff.

image_1_3091372.jpg
    600 x 485 - 40K
    image_2_3065248.jpg
    600 x 389 - 20K
    image_1_2995242.jpg
    600 x 337 - 14K
    image_1_2798370.jpg
    587 x 600 - 38K
    image_1_2778932.jpg
    600 x 481 - 36K
    edited May 2012

Some images about morphs and hair stuff.

image_1_2952522.jpg
    600 x 446 - 31K
    image_1_2667294.jpg
    600 x 501 - 25K
    image_2_2663691.jpg
    393 x 441 - 33K
    image_1_2503990.jpg
    338 x 600 - 17K
    image_2_2307476.jpg
    600 x 450 - 18K
    edited June 2012

And my actual comment about new sites imaging possibilities .... it can only become better ... :roll:

And so looking foreward for the coming ... %-P

Plus some impractical garments derived from the UFO stuff.

origimage_1_2813265dazed.jpg
    600 x 496 - 212K
    image_4_2741469.jpg
    600 x 436 - 28K
    image_2_2813265.jpg
    600 x 545 - 41K
  • william_b25f693951william_b25f693951 Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Look forward to more SHADOs.... :coolsmile:

• WizzardWizzard Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Well done Joe, I miss the crew of SHADO, tis nice to see them brought back. You, Steve and GSayers all bring smiles and returned memories.
    Now to look for the series on the popular DVD mail rental service 8 )

Cheers

edited December 1969

Have just seen a marvelous UFO animation in this thread from Carrara forum
    UFO Carrara animation

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Please remember that in the absence of working content tags and filters we cannot allow any nudity or other restricted content at all in posts. It's ok to post to a site that has flags and requires log in to see flagged content, and post a link, but not to post the image itself.

edited December 1969

Ok, I'm so sorry and I know your fulfilling a task in a desastrous environment ...
    But truely I was in the opinion that rules are only valid in a fully functional environment able to cope with the rules but not in a unripe green nearing slowly beta-stage testable surrounding. At least that was the message I ever learned from one of americas biggest soft-/hardware companies. Delivering such a crap to my customers they would have fired me the same hour ... DAZ has to learn a lot of lessons about software quality in front of annoying customers with such a desaster AFTER announcing it half year before ...

From maritime law: No cash, no cure like also vice versa no cure, no cash !!

I change the image and DAZ should hurry up to get their sh.... working halfways well ... :shut:

• Paul PettyPaul Petty Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

revisioned

UFO1A.jpg
    1854 x 1041 - 146K
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 752

I've become interested in figuring out how to make a passible Gay Ellis in DAZ G3F, along with oither UFO characters in G3.

And I'd like to document the process here on this forum.

I am a newbie. So I want to document the process for other newbies.

So the first thing I want to do is seek advice and heads-up tidbits.

I know that most of the UFO 3D development was done for Poser and earlier DAZ generations. And I know that adapting them to DAZ G3 is a special process that more advanced folk know about. So these are the things I'm seeking advice and tutorials on.

• lukon100 said:

I've become interested in figuring out how to make a passible Gay Ellis in DAZ G3F, along with oither UFO characters in G3.

I know that most of the UFO 3D development was done for Poser and earlier DAZ generations. And I know that adapting them to DAZ G3 is a special process that more advanced folk know about. So these are the things I'm seeking advice and tutorials on.

HI Lukon100,

Almost all of the head morphs here were done in Blender - Steve Jones did most of them and I added an extra Gay Ellis.  If you haven't already, you really need to get familiar with a modelling package like Hexagon, Zbrush (seems lots of modellers use this) or Blender.  They all have bridges to and from DAZ Studio, so it's up to you to pick the one you are comfortable with.  Blender is a comprehensive free 3D program, but it is not that intuitive.  The import export process between DS and the modeller you choose is well documented in many places in these forums and elsewhere, so that's where to do your initial research.

Grab as many shots of the subject from as many angles as possible.  The holy grail is the full profile as they are rare, but it can be really critical to the success of an image.

More important than all the techniques and software is that you have to be prepared to put in the time to get the likeness believable and recognizable. As an example, my Sophia Loren morph took about two weeks solid.  Gabrielle Drake took me 5 months. I scrapped the model at least 3 times and started afresh.  Thanks to Jo and Steve on this forum, I had someone to egg me on to finish it.

This quote has inspired me since I was a schoolboy:

"Talent and all that for the most part is nothing but hogwash. Any schoolboy with a little aptitude might very well draw better than I perhaps; but what he most often lacks is the tough yearning for realization, the teeth-grinding obstinacy and saying: even though I know I'm not capable of it, I'm still going to do it." -- M.C. Escher, in a letter to his son Arthur, 12 February 1955

Gary

lukon100 said:

HI Lukon100,

Almost all of the head morphs here were done in Blender - Steve Jones did most of them and I added an extra Gay Ellis.  If you haven't already, you really need to get familiar with a modelling package like Hexagon, Zbrush (seems lots of modellers use this) or Blender.  They all have bridges to and from DAZ Studio, so it's up to you to pick the one you are comfortable with.  Blender is a comprehensive free 3D program, but it is not that intuitive.  The import export process between DS and the modeller you choose is well documented in many places in these forums and elsewhere, so that's where to do your initial research.

Grab as many shots of the subject from as many angles as possible.  The holy grail is the full profile as they are rare, but it can be really critical to the success of an image.

More important than all the techniques and software is that you have to be prepared to put in the time to get the likeness believable and recognizable. As an example, my Sophia Loren morph took about two weeks solid.  Gabrielle Drake took me 5 months. I scrapped the model at least 3 times and started afresh.  Thanks to Jo and Steve on this forum, I had someone to egg me on to finish it.

This quote has inspired me since I was a schoolboy:

"Talent and all that for the most part is nothing but hogwash. Any schoolboy with a little aptitude might very well draw better than I perhaps; but what he most often lacks is the tough yearning for realization, the teeth-grinding obstinacy and saying: even though I know I'm not capable of it, I'm still going to do it." -- M.C. Escher, in a letter to his son Arthur, 12 February 1955

Gary

Thanks so much for your insights, Gary!

I have a passing acqualtence with Blender. It was the first 3D program I ever used. The learing curve is too steep. So I quit messing with it. But I did get a basic grasp of dynamic mesh sculpting. So I suspect I have adequate experience in that to get things going. I suppose I just need to look at the tutorials on the transferring of files between DS and Blender in the context of making morphs.

But now I have a question. If there are Blender-made meshes of UFO character faces made by you folks, are these meshes adaptable to Genesis 3? Or would I need to start from scratch? I see tht DS has some products that basically copy a shape from one Genesis figure iteration to another. Like from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3, and so on. Would one of these shape-mover utilities be the ticket?

I also hear of a program that can automatically sculpt a face to a mesh taking only a few 2D photos as input. Are such programs any good?

-Luke-

• Hi luke,

I'm going to be far away from my desktop for the next few weeks, so I'm relying on memory to answer. Others feel free to jump in an correct me if I'm inaccurate in any of my statements.

Using Genx(available from Daz) it's possible to convert v4 morphs to Genesis and G2F. I've done this with varied success, but the fairly extreme morphs of Ellis get smoothed out by the conversion and makes it a less convincing likeness. Some of my other faces, like Sophia came across quite well using this method. Note that if your target is G3F I'm not sure if GenX has the clones in it to make the conversion, (Yet?).

A very worthwhile thread to look at is here:

Kattey's thread
     http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/transferring-morphs-from-genesis-to-g2m-g2f-and-from-g2m-g2f-to-genesis-now-with-clones-works-on

Products that make morphs from photos are quite good, but I know they will always have problems keeping eyes and inner mouth from distorting. Since the eyes are critical to making convincing models and teeth are just as important, photo programs are good for fairly deadpan expressions at a fair distance.

Remember also I mentioned how difficult good reference shots are, especially for older actors? Without a profile shot, these programs will make a guess and it's pot luck what you get. So only full face renders will be reliable.

Bottom line is really to decide what level you want to go to, but I can tell you there is nothing like the feeling of making your own from scratch....

Gary

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

"Note that if your target is G3F I'm not sure if GenX has the clones in it to make the conversion, (Yet?)."

Yes, it does, Gary. You need GenX2 and the accompanying GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 2 and GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 3. Since you cannot go directly from V4 to G3F, you need both addons to effect the transfer. I did a transfer of your Lt.Ellis Morph, and it wasn't too bad, although it needed a little tweaking. I'll post a render if I get the time.

edited May 2017

Oh my goodness. It sounds like a G3F Gay Ellis face does exist already, and SixDs made it.

(I mean, converted and tweaked it from the V4 Gay Eliis face that Gary made.)

Post edited by lukon100 on
    edited May 2017

OK, as promised, for those interested, here is a simple render of Genesis 3 Female as Lt. Ellis converted from Gary Sayer's original V4 morph using GenX2 with the G2F and G3F plugins. As mentioned, there were a few tweaks necessary following conversion, and I am not certain whether that was due to some oversight on my part during the conversion, or a limitation of GenX2. Either way, they were relatively quick and easy fixes.

GaDr2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 252K
    Post edited by SixDs on

Oooo, that's osum! Hey, SixDs, would you be willing to share that Gay Ellis G3F figure file with me? And then perhaps with everyone else who might want it?

Sorry, lukon, but Gary would still hold the copyright to the original character morph and sharing/distributing the converted morph would constitute infringement without his permission - even though it is converted, the morph is still his.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,769
    SixDs said:

Sorry, lukon, but Gary would still hold the copyright to the original character morph and sharing/distributing the converted morph would constitute infringement without his permission - even though it is converted, the morph is still his.

The readme doesn't appear to allow it to be distributed as RTEncoded against the original,  so perhaps  you could ask Gary for permission when he returns. 

In the meantime, what specifically did you need to tweak?

edited May 2017

"In the meantime, what specifically did you need to tweak?"

There were three things, WandW. It took me a little while to figure out what was amiss, but once I did, it was a relatively quick fix, as I mentioned. Here's what I found:

1. Upon first applying the converted morph to G3F, it looked somewhat similar, but not quite right. On an inspiration, I checked the G3F morph sliders, in particular that for V4, and sure enough, it was set to 0. I watched as I slid the dial to 100% and, presto! - there was Lt. Ellis as she should be!

2. The eyes didn't morph with the rest of the character. Basicly, since the head for the character is relatively large, applying the morph left the eyes recessed in the skull. So, I simply had to select both eyes in the parameters tab and translate them forward along the Z axis until I was happy with their position.

3. I didn't discover this immediately, until I happened to open the characters mouth: the teeth, as with the eyes, hadn't morphed with the head, so, again, I needed to select both upper and lower teeth and translate them to fit properly behind the gums.

As I mentioned, I am not certain whether these issues were due to my missing something during the conversion process or not, but one way or another, I got to where I wanted to be without too much fuss.

"so perhaps  you could ask Gary for permission when he returns."

Or I could just send it to him and he could distribute it if he wished, since he has more experience with that and has an active account on ShareCG to begin with. smiley 

Post edited by SixDs on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,769

Cool; I thought the tweaks were done in a modeler.  I'll have to give it a whirl.  smiley

However, I don't believe that Gary has a ShareCG account, as Gabby is hosted there under JoEtzold's account.

If anyone wants to do a "UFO 2017", this is what she looks like these days...
    http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/20/590x/secondary/Gabrielle-Drake-490074.jpg

"I don't believe that Gary has a ShareCG account"

Actually, he does. It isn't very active and he only has a couple of things in there, but it is here:

http://www.sharecg.com/gsayers

Ya. U.F.O. 2017, in which Gay Ellis has replaces Straker as commander of the whole thing.

Ok. Has anyone done similar adaptations of any other U.F.O. characters?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

I loved this show so much when I was a kid.

The neat thing is it's tied Space: 1999 because the series was cancelled but the models for the new moonbase and vehicles were already made so they ended up using them in Space: 1999. There was a fanfic which was a crossover between the two series.

FYI: I think the FWSA Keira HD for Victoria 7 model would make a suitable Sarah Bosanquet, at least from the promo images I see.

https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-keira-hd-for-victoria-7

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/66/58/d6/6658d620fce7bb878b04698bff96cee9--sci-fi.jpg

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited April 2018

Tubitv.com has free to watch online UFO episodes! They also have Space:1999 episodes...

I'm binge watching a bunch of episodes now.. UFO holds up surprisingly well, and it looks like the videos are the remastered ones as it looks great on my big screen tv via HDMI, although at a 4/3 ratio of course..

Also, I took a stab at the free resources (linked at top).  I'm not entirely happy with how the suit textures came out (the provided textures weren't getting the job done, and I'm experimenting with other shaders/textures), and I didn't manage to get the Paris hair to work (Daz said it was missing files, so I went with the Gail bob instead), but it doesn't look bad at least...

The boots from above weren't autofitting well on G8F, so I found some G8F ones that looked close enough, and did the shader thing...

Aiko38_SHADO1.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 138K
    Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited April 2018

On a related note, has anyone managed to get the various sculpted head morphs from Steve Kitt (that are on ShareCG) to work via morph loader pro?  I've been trying to get the Ayshea Brough morph from ShareCG to take using Victoria 4.2 as the target figure, but it gives me an error message:

- No deltas for morph, skipping mode

It says that it has created the morph successfully, but (as far as I can see/search) no new morph appears has appeared in my parameters or shaping list...

Just for fun, I tried importing Ayshea's head morph.obj into Daz, which just makes an invisible cube with no features/nodes.  Importing or bridging to Hexagon doesn't work (head shape never appears in Hexagon).

Any suggestions?

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on